Ownership Log: 1988 Alpine White Over Pacific Blue Sport Cloth M20B25 325iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ownership Log: 1988 Alpine White Over Pacific Blue Sport Cloth M20B25 325iX

I've been into these cars long enough that I have a routine search for them I conduct daily out of habit at this point. After a long day of helping a car buddy with his project car, I came home exhausted and skipped my usual routine. That somehow caused this ad to not show up on my search until five days after it was posted:

Well, I knew I missed this one for sure. The nicest cars don't last five hours before someone starts the buying process, and five days was an eternity. I e-mailed the seller anyway, and wrote a carefully crafted response that would let them know that I fully appreciated what was on offer and would be an ideal next owner without being too obvious. The seller wrote me a nice reply telling me it was sold the day it was listed, and was waiting for a deposit before taking down the ad, but had just received a deposit from the buyer.

The ad disappeared, and that was that until a few weeks later.

This was the first view I had of the 325iX that was soon to be mine, parked by the seller (who obviously knew how to present a car) on a dead end road overlooking Lake Huron. The seller had posted the sort of ad that you reply to immediately when you get familiar with looking for cars, and the car was the sort of car that you know immediately you aren't leaving home without before you even look inside the interior.

I introduced myself and Lindsay, thanked him again for the e-mail he had sent me (more on that later), and said, "Yup, I'm buying this car. Here's your money." The seller asked, "Don't you even want to start it up?" I said, "Oh I'll take it for a test drive, sure, but I'm not leaving without this car."

I was looking at a Japanese market 1988 early model 325iX with under 90,000 km imported into Canada well before the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. Fully serviced at the BMW dealer, never driven in salt since new, and most importantly as rust free as any early model I've ever seen, all for less than half of fair market value.

My e-mail with the seller had exactly the intended effect: he really wanted me to get the car, and when his sale fell through as the first would be buyer struggled to arrange to ship the car and pay for it, he refunded the deposit and wrote me a nice e-mail. I called immediately, and went to pick it up the next day.

Lindsay was nice enough to drive me there in her stunning 316i Design Edition touring, which I'm sure helped to reinforce we were the seller's kind of people. He had a small side business importing cars from Japan for friends and family, and had imported this for his aunt. It turned out the car was in the nicest condition of any he brought over, and when his aunt died the car went to his mother, then eventually to us as she could no longer drive it.

I had planned on giving the car a full cosmetic refresh, enjoying it for a while, then selling it... before I drove it. No other E30 I've driven (which is quite a few now) feels anything like this car. I have no room for it, and it's consumed my entire hobby fund, but I'm going to hang on to this one as long as I can.
    Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM.

Looks really nice! It's interesting that the early model IX flares have horizontal strakes on the bottom section that the late models don't have.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

very cool. I like the early model iXs
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

truly perfect. I love the subtle details on early models
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looks fantastic. Any plans for a manual swap?

Comment

More details:

Vehicle Information
            Prod. Date 1987-04-08
            Type 325IX (EUR)
            Series E30 (3 Series)
            Body Type LIM
            Steering LHD
            Engine M20
            Displacement 2.50
            Power 125kw / 170hp
            Drive ALLR
            Transmission Automatic
            Colour ALPINWEISS (146)
            Upholstery (0212)

Options
            S201A Rape methyl ester version RME
            S219A Sport leather steering wheel 380 mm
            S226A Sports suspension settings
            S296A BMW LA wheel Classic
            S300A Emergency spare wheel
            S314A Door mirror drivers lock heated
            S351A BMW LA wheel star spoke 89
            S411A Window lifts electric front rear
            S481A Sports seat
            S494A Seat heating driver passenger
            S498A Headrests rear mechanically adjustable
            S530A Air conditioning
            S556A Outdoor temperature indicator
            S562A Reading light
            S690A Cassette holder
            S853A Language version English
            S860A Additional turn indicator lamp
            S979A Value Package

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
            This was the first view I had of the 325iX that was soon to be mine, parked by the seller (who obviously knew how to present a car) on a dead end road overlooking Lake Huron.
            I couldn't believe the shape this car was in when we went to pick it up! :)

We put it to the test on the long drive home and it drove beautifully! No issues whatsoever.

It made friends with my car on the way home. ;D

He had a small side business importing cars from Japan for friends and family, and had imported this for his aunt.
            This is the auction sheet from when the seller imported the car from Japan. I have no idea what it means, but I'm sure it's all good. :p

I had planned on giving the car a full cosmetic refresh, enjoying it for a while, then selling it... before I drove it. No other E30 I've driven (which is quite a few now) feels anything like this car.
            It feels a lot different to drive than other E30s - there's still that feeling of being connected to the road, but this car feels a bit heavier and much more planted / glued to the road in addition to that. It's easy to see how this would make the ideal winter car (well, other than how it would be destroyed by salt... :-|).

Unfortunately it's auto, but we have plans to fix that soon. :mrgreen: I have to say that the sports auto in this car is much better than any other automatic car I've driven and it's still a lot of fun to drive.

I have no room for it, and it's consumed my entire hobby fund, but I'm going to hang on to this one as long as I can.
            I think part of the problem is that we have too much room for cars (not enough garage space, though)!

Even the animals around here didn't mind making room for the iX. :up:

1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
            Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

So many nice looking cars in that front yard! I'm digging the Alpine! Any interior pics?

Comment

dang wow

this is amazing
                cars beep boop

Comment

Wow. I had no idea I like early IXs!
                  Nice find!
                  1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                  1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                  1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                  My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

The interior of the car is in near new condition with the exception of the driver's seat:

That's my girl in the last picture cleaning the seats before applying Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard to protect them from any further U.V. damage. Thanks baby! ;D

Sourcing good used pacific blue houndstooth fabric (new fabric won't match the sun faded original) is going to be a proper mission. Thankfully I think I can get by with giving nice comfort seat covers to an upholsterer to use as a fabric source to repair mine.

The engine bay is in equally ridiculous condition:

So far I've taken it to a few local classic BMW shows before parking it to replace the 10+ year old timing belt:

I also appear to have an intermittent A.B.S. issue that could be the sensor which I have to investigate, and plans for a manual swap which are well underway...

Comment

Very cool iX. Subscribed for the swap.

Comment

Great find, it looks incredible.
                        1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I've never seen an IX like that before! Looks super unique. Good add to your pile of unique you're slowly amassing in your front yard.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message. It's been a fun journey with my IX and I have no complaints. Check the seal on the transfer case and make sure it's good.

Comment

Working...
                          X