A well travelled e30 - Cali to London. 84 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    AWESOME updates! I was just wondering about this car a few weeks ago and BAM - thread updated! :-)
    Haha madness to think that people think about this. But thank you, it’s still here and it will never leave my side. It’s just taking a little bit longer than I would have hoped to get this ball moving but I am happy to take my time and get it to where I want it to be. Also happy that I have managed to get this thread up to date.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
      what wheels are those? really like them !
      The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc
        ohh noice ! i was confused by the polished lip it might be some image wheels or something like that ! they look sweet on pre facelift for sure !

Comment

So good to have an update, thank you! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, this thread keeps giving lots of heartwarming things; the whole roadtrip story, new house, how it was saved from sale during a pandemic--now a cute puppy & attention from bmw itself AND actual project progress...unheard of...

Comment

I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
              Neighbours were not happy.
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
                Neighbours were not happy.
                thanks for the heads up, do you think its worth coating over what's already there then? i guess it comes down to how bad it is under the car when i flip it over, i know for a fact there is no rust so its not like i will be coating over any rust. but it NEEDS to be coated to continue its life now in the UK, i want to drive this car and not have to worry it turning into swiss cheese in the future.

Comment

It depends what condition it's in, and if you plan on driving it on salted roads.
                  Down here in Aus I wouldn't bother. I also have a series 2 and the coating on them is better.
                  if I were you, I would be inspecting the underside with semi regularity (every few months maybe?) and if you see any stone chips, rust converting them then resealing that small section if need be. If you drive it often.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you decide to not strip it, inspect it very carefully. It is possible for rust to form underneath the factory undercoating.

You can usually find the rust because the undercoating will start to peal or bubble up. If you see those signs, scrap or peal off what's there. The rust shows after removing the undercoating.

Comment

Alright, so where was we then.

I got a few hours in the garage today. First things first i had to get 4 new tyres for the daily driver and filled it up with diesel. After being extremely sore after that i decided lets get some stuff done to the e30!

And i got something done that i have been extremely scared of doing for quite a while but it needed to be done to get the progression moving forward.

First things first,

tidy up the work bench as it was quite a mess in there

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

clean garage done, now time to make a mess.

Got the old girl into position before we really flipped her life upside down

And i was only meant to blow the bloody doors off. (or something along those lines)

I knew there was a reason i put this terrible fake grass down outside the front of the house. Ignore the snowman, Christmas is only 9 months away.

And then it was time to get really sketchy.

And some rather brown pants later we are up and supported under its own weight.

and gave it a little twisty twist

This is actually terrifying.

But i am so glad it is done and keeping everything crossed that it does not collapse!!

Daily driver on the right after hurting my bank this morning.

I started having a little clean up on the e30 just testing some stuff out and poking around. i unfortunately found 2 areas of rust but in the grand scheme of things it could have been worse.

Bottom of the battery tray in the boot

And the passenger side footwell

And a collection of items that i am using to clean bits up etc etc

the rust areas will be getting cut out and new welded back in

Hopefully we can start making some progress on this car now!!

As always, your opinions and comments are always welcome below.
                      Last edited by benwalsh91; 03-14-2022, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Rip into it but don't get carried away like I have done, else you'll never drive it again
                        sigpic

Comment

So on Sunday i got out of bed early and got myself outside with the aim of getting some bits done on the e30.

First things first Mrs. Walsh wanted some planters for out the front of the house and wanted them painted so that was my first job of the day, i figured if i get this out the way i have the rest of the time to do some e30 bits

Personally, i am not really a fan of the colour, but she chose the colour.

Next on the list is that i wanted to expose that rust spot on the front passenger side corner to see how bad it was.

Shouldn't be too difficult of a patch job. But i guess we will see later on.

I also found some cracking around what i believe to be where the subframe mounts? i may be wrong, i took this car apart so long ago, regardless i will need to weld this back together, maybe see if there iis reinforcement mounts for this area

The ARB mount was completely broken too but i forgot to get a picture of that, i will grab one tonight and upload it here:

I was cleaning up the car to see how bad it was without using the wire wheel attachment to the grinder and i am happy to see how clean the underside actually is underneath all the dirt and grease.

I also removed the remaining brake hardlines and fuel lines that was on the car.

It has dawned on me that i may have bitten off a lot more than i can chew with this one and its stressing me out a bit, i am trying to break it down into just small bite size pieces and move forward

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

It has dawned on me that i may have bitten off a lot more than i can chew with this one and its stressing me out a bit, i am trying to break it down into just small bite size pieces and move forward
                            Just focus on the individual stuff and repair accordingly. It can be easy to get overwhelmed. Do you have a whiteboard or something to write on inside the garage? Make a list of things you know you need to work on and tackle them one at a time.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Just focus on the individual stuff and repair accordingly. It can be easy to get overwhelmed. Do you have a whiteboard or something to write on inside the garage? Make a list of things you know you need to work on and tackle them one at a time.
                              Couldn't find a white board big enough so i created an excel spreadsheet. I wish this was a joke but i am deadly serious.

Comment

Morning All,

Need a bit of help/advice.

Was looking over the car last night and i found these areas, they are on the frame rails at the front of the car.

What SHOULD they look like as i presume they shouldn't be split/cracked.

The one below is on the Drivers side (LHS) and has the cracking and the threaded insert.

This one below is on the passenger side (RHS) and has the cracking and no threaded insert.

Is it:

A) proper fucking fucked mate

B) Slightly fucked
                                Last edited by benwalsh91; 03-29-2022, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X