The iX Beater returns... pretty beat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The iX Beater returns... pretty beat...

tl;dr: my old iX came back to me, and it's in scruffy shape. The rear brakes suck. I'm going to remediate it to a point...

------------------------------------------------------
    The long version:

My '91 iX spent several years in the hands of a family member who unfortunately wasn't a very good caretaker (I'm going to skip that part of the story). The car is still titled to me, and I recently got a letter from the state that it had been reported abandoned.

I'm intending to use this thread to document where I go with it and get advice I'll inevitably need.

Here's what it looked like when I last saw it:

(that's the reflection of a cloud on the hood)

I contacted the shop, got some details and made arrangements to go pick it up. I asked them to do a quick check of the car, and they said it ran fine (surprisingly well, yadda yadda, could drive home) but was in scruffy shape inside and out. It needed a battery and a brake-light switch. When I picked it up they noted that the car needed rear brakes.

I reclaimed the car. It now looks like this:

:(

That pic is actually a bit gentle. The clear-coat has failed pretty much everywhere. The IS front spoiler is missing (guessing that was stolen - the clips are perfect :shifty). Various bumps I haven't begun to catalog. The drivers seat bolster is borked and the leather on both seats (think they're E30 M3 seats - can't remember where I got them) isn't great. The inside is a mess.

I got it as far as my buddy's place 90 minutes from where I live. I was pretty much planning to take it there anyway since he's got a lift and I wanted to have a hard look at it, but about 20 minutes away I hit some sudden construction traffic and had to brake pretty hard. After that, I could hear the left rear brake dragging on the rotor and braking was markedly worse than it had been (though we got on the highway pretty much immediately on the trip). The last 20 minutes was fairly slow off-highway driving. That turned out to be lucky.

I left the car with him, planning to address the brakes and then get the car to my house for further attention. His (awesome) son removed most the significant amount of crap that was left in the car. It's still in need of a deep cleaning.

I had rear rotors and pads delivered from Amazon, as well as a caliper rebuild kit, and yesterday I took the train to go do the brakes and get the car home.

The left side of the car has a pretty good dent just behind the door, and the rear wheel on that side is the spare (the other ASA wheel is in the trunk). Whoever put the lugs on that wheel is an asshole - they all required a big breaker bar and some gorilla-strength from my buddy to get them off (the other side came off easily). I laughed at how thin the pad was, until I realized I'd driven it on the highway at speed for 90 minutes. I'm an idiot for not looking more closely at them, but put a little too much faith in the fact I'd asked the shop to check it out. A lesson for the future: trust but verify. Somewhere in Rob Siegel's "Ran When Parked" there's a pre-flight checklist for putting an unknown car on the road. I'm going to find and re-read my copy of that book (it's a fun book anyway - I pre-ordered a copy of his new one not too long ago). Anyway, guess which rotor this pad was installed on:

The piston on that caliper was stuck waaaay out, and rusted in place. It took a *LOT* of... coaxing... to get the piston out to do the rebuild. We called around the local auto parts places, and most of them weren't even carrying a reman caliper any more for this car (which is shared with the E24 and others I think). So we made the best of what we had. There was some pitting on the piston wall (and the slide pins) that we cleaned up. It was so far beyond normal travel I don't think the rust is in an active area of the piston, but I went ahead and got a good used pair of calipers from eBay to swap in at some point.

I prepped the rotors (wire-brush, anti-seize), and brake-cleaned/mounted one rotor. I was cleaning off the other when my buddy called me back inside.

Amazon had sent the wrong rotors.

And of course, nobody locally stocks iX-compatible rotors any more either...

AutoZone was able to have a set in today, but I wasn't able to stay overnight. My buddy picked them up and will probably slap them on and finish the job, including a brake-bleed. I'll go get the car ASAP, clean it up a bit, and then I'll have to decide what to do with it.

More to come.
    1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
    1986 M635Csi - For the best days

ahh poor car. Glad it's getting some love again!

Comment

Will be interesting to see what you can do to bring it back from it's recent hard living.

Comment

Holy hell. Never loan your car out.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Will be interesting to see what you can do to bring it back from it's recent hard living.
          Yeah - our steam cleaner and I get to be friends - lol. Not sure what, if anything, I can do to the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by iXBeater View Post

Yeah - our steam cleaner and I get to be friends - lol. Not sure what, if anything, I can do to the exterior.
            Repaint, wrap, plastidip, home paint job, just depends on your goals for the car at this stage. Having faced that decision, the cosmetics predicated the work I did on the car/what I fixed vs not more than I expected.

Comment

Damn, that is really shitty...Is this family member going to be reimbursing you for the neglect on the car? I'd be royally PISSED
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                Damn, that is really shitty...Is this family member going to be reimbursing you for the neglect on the car? I'd be royally PISSED
                It's a complicated story, but the answer is that I'm not owed anything on the car itself. I've got some funds into it now that I need to recoup, but beyond that I'm going to pass along any money beyond that back.

Comment

Oh man I would be mad. Good on you for bringing it back.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    Oh man I would be mad. Good on you for bringing it back.
                    I rescued it, but I can't bring it all the way back - no room, no finances, etc.

I cleaned the car up a bit, and plan to sell it. Some pix:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z7Mmzwe.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	9903491

More here: https://imgur.com/a/H7I8TQD

Comment

Damn was hoping for a build thread. Looks like she has potential though even with that dented quarter panel, assuming she's pretty rust free.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                        Damn was hoping for a build thread. Looks like she has potential though even with that dented quarter panel, assuming she's pretty rust free.
                        Yeah - no rot that I've seen. The paint is toast - seems like a good candidate for a roller job. Haven't really been under it (other than doing the rear brakes), but overall it's a strong heart in a scruffy package.

Comment

Sorry folks - I should have updated this thread. I sold the iX a couple weeks after my last post in this thread (in 2020)

Comment

LOL This is an A+ thread.

iXBeater What are you driving now?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Quick read. This thread is the cliff notes of this thread.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck OP!
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                              X