No announcement yet.

Finally back into an e30: ‘88 Alpine on Blue 325ic cruiser build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have stock projectors. Even if my car came with sealed beams, I'd just get new OEM US projectors though. I checked recently to see what options are still available, and new OEM US projectors are still available for ~$700 a set. I'd rather just get those over smileys, which will be harder to get, and more expensive. I'm not sure if they're still available in Europe, but I think I saw a couple new OE sets on eBay from European sellers.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Welcome back!

Regarding 5 lugs, I think one reason is the cost/benefit just isn't there. I think the primary draw was 5-lug wheels are a lot cheaper than 4-lug equivalents (BBS-001 etc). Well now you would probably spend $5k+ on an E30 M3 setup (I don't even know, it could be even worse than that), or you could go with a cheaper, goofier looking, poor geometry E36 setup for cheap. But I don't think that ever truely caught on. Plus now there are tons of 4-lug brake kits that are way better than what you get on a stock M3, while also being significantly cheaper.

Mtech kits are definitely something I think people still like, but the cost is extremely prohibitive. I mean, 10-15 years ago you could still order Mtech-2 all new from BMW, which isn't possible now. and the aftermarket kits are still total garbage.

Diving boards, I think I have heard a few people that say they like them, but I don't think they are the majority. I still think they are ugly as hell. :p

There are probably more aftermarket parts now, and more services for repairing things like computer modules and instrument clusters. But OEM parts straight from BMW are definitely less plentiful than they were 10 years ago. It's been a while since I looked but it seemed like every other month something else was going NLA.

Blunt was selling parts back in the day and still is. I'd still choose them for the relationship and service alone. Newer BMW forums hang off the ECS Tuning nut sack pretty hard, but I think they are probably just stupid and like pretty pictures - the prices are not good, the shipping is really expensive and the service is awful. Not to mention the whole Turner debacle.

You know what's really crazy? Smiley lights are basically impossible to find new. Even the original Depo lights with glass lenses are all gone (and honestly, they aren't as bad as the newer stuff). I got one of the last sets of new smoked Hella's when they were already out of production.

M20s are definitely having a resurgence. It's sad because now it's actually kind of hard to find a good M20B25, back then people would just take them to the dump practically - when realistically the M50's that they were swapped out for should have been the ones taken to the trash bin.

Thanks! I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of supporting items now for the M20 and 4 lugger’s. I checked out how much a e30M3 5 lug and it was CRAZY. I am watching smiley’s on eBay and they are high priced. I’m about to place my first Blunttech order. I learned back then not to do non-OEM exterior body kits. They always seem to have something not right about them.

I’d love to do a (reliable) stroker/ITB setup and/or maybe add a little boost but haven’t done ANY major research on things (like what’s the best size of stroker kit to do).

The E30 is on its way. Thus far I have rear head rests, euro grills, rear shocks mounts, and just won some Kopis on eBay. So well on its way to be a sporty cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
        A lot has changed in the last ten years. The older I get, the more I appreciate these cars in closer to stock form. 100% reversible modifications are fine, like suspension and wheels, etc, but I am all for leaving the M20 in and doing something cool with it. My last three E30s are the last ones I'll own, and only one of them has an engine conversion - the other two are staying M20 powered.

That being said, I miss buying lots of decent, usually running E30s for under a grand. Those were great times - now they're long gone.

My vote - keep it OEM+
        I’ve definitely decided to stay OEM+, I’ve always liked the classic styling of the e30. I’d like to do some things to the M20 to step it up, a balance between reliability and performance would be my goal. I’m excited to get this thing down to Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          I have stock projectors. Even if my car came with sealed beams, I'd just get new OEM US projectors though. I checked recently to see what options are still available, and new OEM US projectors are still available for ~$700 a set. I'd rather just get those over smileys, which will be harder to get, and more expensive. I'm not sure if they're still available in Europe, but I think I saw a couple new OE sets on eBay from European sellers.
          Pretty sure all euro lights are NLA, although there might be some old stock laying around (they did produce them for like 30 years). Stock US projectors are fine, and if they're still available new for $700 that's a good deal. They're basically the same thing except the cutoff, which isn't a big deal. But back in the day, the cost was pretty much the same - why not get the version that's a little different?

I wouldn't pay more-than-new prices for a used euro set though.. that's insane. Both of my smoked Hellas were only like $300/pair, brand new in box.. but granted that was like 2006. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah OEM+ is, and always has been, the way to go it seems. Like aftermarket parts are all well and good but I do prefer the exterior to look clean, simple, and OEM+. The crazy builds are cool but I'm glad to see the widebody craze pass over us mostly. An M20 has it's merits but I do love my 24V swap. To each their own. I hope to own an M20 car some day as well as a K-swapped E30. Its all relative to the car and what you've already done/have. I would say keep it OEM+, maybe mess with the M20 a little, and enjoy it.
            Originally posted by Melon
            Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

You build the car like you want, unless you want instagram likes, then you build it like others want.

Comment

It's funny because the exterior of my car is basically 99% stock. And that part about it never passes as a fad (widebody) or gets old..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Exactly. Instagram ruined the car scene. There I said it. #FUCKR3V dude
                  Originally posted by Melon
                  Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

It's not even that I don't like a widebody, it's that the widebodies being done are shit. I don't think anything Rocket Bunny has ever made has been good, and I can't wait to see that company, and any related car scene trends, disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                      I'd rather keep it classic and non-douchey
                      Then don't tuck the bumpers.
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        Then don't tuck the bumpers.
                        I’ve always wanted euro bumpers so I may do that eventually.

Comment

Leave the E30 alone, import an E36 touring and mod that car.

But really, with just about every possible E30 having been imported or modified in the US, the only way to stand out a bit is to be on the cutting edge of newly available old cars. In this scenario, the E36 touring is the current best bet, and you can have it with a diesel.

Comment

I can't imagine anything less fun than a rusty E36 wagon with a diesel...
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              I can't imagine anything less fun than a rusty E36 wagon with a diesel...
                              316g. Or was it a 318g?

Comment

the cliffs:
                                - e30 are outrageously expensive;
                                - some key parts are NLA;
                                - e30 owners still have poor taste in wheels; and
                                - swaps seem to be more popular as the costs are more justifiable.
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X