Kevin's Bronzit 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin's Bronzit 325i

Yesterday afternoon my 1990 325i showed in a truck from California. A few weeks ago I purchased jamierod's beautifully clean E30, I had dreams of driving it back to Philadelphia, but the pesky pandemic and small transmission leak prompted me to arrange to have the car shipped using Intercity Lines. I really can't recommend them enough for vehicle shipping, the car was picked up and delivered well within their estimated time frame, and when it showed up it had a car cover and a clear plastic sheet covering it within a covered trailer.

It has been almost 9 years since I sold my '91 Miata which was a mostly track focused daily driver, and in the last year or so I've had itch for something small light and fun to drive. The craving to own a fun car that I could work on again grew out of being invited to join Pink Octopus Racing's Lemon's team and help build the Lexus LS430 race car, and then one of my very good friends replacing his beat up Passat with a '20 Jetta GLI. My daily driver is a '12 Prius C and it is virtually maintenance free. It has 124k miles on it and all its ever needed is an oil change every 10k miles, washer fluid, and headlight bulbs. I wanted something I could tinker with on the weekends. As much as I would have loved to own a Miata again, I needed something that would allow me to bring my wife and both our dogs on road trips. An E30 was the clear answer.

My first time seeing any part of the car in person, I was super excited.

jaimerod totally undersold just how clean it really is

All the way out with the Philly skyline in the distance. The car started right up and the Stromung catback sounded amazing as it backed out the trailer.

Only 71,107 miles!

After a lovely drive up and down Kelly Drive along the banks of the Schuylkill and quick excursion onto the curvier roads in Fairmount Park I was completely smitten! The H&R Springs and Bilstein HD's handled Philly's torn up roads really well and car felt so sharp and responsive in the corners.

Before I realized it I had driven almost 40 miles, so I decided to take advantage of the remaining daylight so that I could take a closer look at everything.

The front sport seats have new shocks and have been reupholstered, I really like the Condor boot covers, and the Garagistic cupholder is a nice convenience. The radio is stuck on CODE, so I will need to pay a visit to a dealership soon to retrieve the unlock code.

The car is so unbelievably clean. The interior is immaculate and the engine has been recently detailed. I didn't have enough time yesterday evening to put it up on jackstands and really take a deep dive, but that is the plan for next Saturday.

My plans with the car are to keep improving it in small ways in an OEM+ mindset. The tires are definitely a week spot right now, I really wish there were better tires available in 195/65R14 because I love the 14" basketweaves. Unless a set of 15" euroweaves fall into my lap, I think the Ronal LS's will work for me wrapped in a decent summer tire. Coming from a Miata I would like to tighten up the shifter with Garagistic's OEM Supreme short shifter to get rid of some of the slop. Once I get it up on jackstands and really look around there might be some maintenance items I can attend to.

What a beauty!

More photos please

Comment

Nice purchase! I hope to see frequent updates with lots of photos. :)

The Ronal LS is a good choice. I had a set on my car for a bit and really liked them.

Comment

wow. super clean bronzit!! I ended up with a bronzit sedan after missing my NA miata also!
        89 325i 4dr s52
        02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
        21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

I ran a few errands around West Philly today. I couldn't stop myself taking photos of it every time I parked.

Stumbled across a very clean looking 318ti 5 speed in the neighborhood.

Originally posted by vasilis m3 View Post
          What a beauty!

More photos please
          I can't stop taking photos!

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          Nice purchase! I hope to see frequent updates with lots of photos. :)

The Ronal LS is a good choice. I had a set on my car for a bit and really liked them.
          It's amazing how the slightly bigger lip makes them so much more aggressive looking than the euroweaves. The fact that a stock emblem fits so neatly in the center cap is also very enticing.

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
          wow. super clean bronzit!! I ended up with a bronzit sedan after missing my NA miata also!
          At the start of my E30 search it was Alpinweiss or nothing, but then after seeing few clean bronzit E30's the color grew on me very quickly.

Comment

I think some euro trim would go quite far on this car, Im pretty sure he bought this car on Bring a Trailer also.

Don't expect this G260 transmission to ever shift as nice as a Miata, but there are certainly things you can do to tighten it up.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I think some euro trim would go quite far on this car, Im pretty sure he bought this car on Bring a Trailer also.

Don't expect this G260 transmission to ever shift as nice as a Miata, but there are certainly things you can do to tighten it up.
              I don't believe this is a BaT car, he purchased it in Nov. 2019 (per CarFax) and I don't see a low mile 5 speed swap bronzit E30 sold on BaT around that time. From what I understand it was just a garage kept weekend car that spent it's entire life in CA.

The Miata's transmission certainly set the bar quite high haha.

Comment

You're right, I think I have it mixed up with a different one. Heres his original thread BTW

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...lly-got-my-e30
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The other morning I completed my first small project on the E30 and it was very rewarding. The radio needed a code to turn on, and after learning that my particular radio model (CM5905) had a hardwired code and the dealership couldn't provide it. I reached out to Pete at Restored Classics (restoredclassics@aol.com). He asked me to send him a photo of the circuit board and within in minutes I had a radio code. I put it all together and now it works! The previous owner also left a cassette in the deck titled "Awesome Mix Vol 1" and I can confirm that it is a pretty awesome mix. I haven't listened to a cassette tape since probably 1994 so it was really nostalgic and fun.

This model has hardwired code on the circuit board.

I sent this photo to Pete at Restored Classics (restoredclassics@aol.com) and got a code back within minutes.

I went on a sunrise drive along the river this morning, it was a "cool" 75 degrees so I travelled windows down and sunroof open with my Awesome Mix cassette playing just loud enough so as not to drown out the intake and exhaust noises. It was a real treat.

Comment

Awesome, enjoying an E30 as you should be.
                    E30 320i vert
                    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Now that the car is registered in PA and I no longer need the front plate, I'm hoping 87E30VERT starts selling their front licence plate filler soon. I love the front without a licence plate, but I can't stop looking at the mounting holes.

I was also able to get the E30 up on jack stands to to take a closer look at everything.

The good news is that there is absolutely no rust underneath and very clean. I did confirm the transmission leak that the jaimerod had told me about. It appears to be coming from the vent area, but I will be taking the car to Bechtel Bavarian next week so that they can help me properly diagnose the cause.

There is a small paint bubble on the rear bumper above the exhaust tips, which I was concerned might be rust. There is no rust on the inside of the bumper showing, but at some point in the near future I will be popping the bubble and touching up at portion of the bumper.

I'm checking out a garage rental later today so that I can keep her off the mean streets of Philly during the week and and for storage in the winter.

Comment

What a beauty. I love the Bronzit and plastic bumper combo.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Bronzit is such a great looking color when its new like this. I guess you can say that about any paintwork, but I think especially Bronzit.

This car is so clean, what a great find, no wonder you are enjoying it so much!

Comment

looks clean. when i seen the picture of it on jackstands i was like dang he smashed the pinch welds/bottom fender, but you put it on the inside of the frame rails

Comment

Woo! Another Bronzit late model. Welcome to the club. Check out my member's ride thread if you want to see what the Ronals look like wrapped in Yoko S Drives. My suspension setup is likely different, but you'll get the idea.
                              90 Bronzit 325is
                              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X