Always fun undoing the previous owners' mods... Rear panel looks good
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Rear shelf repair looks great
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Always fun undoing the previous owners' mods... Rear panel looks good
        Originally posted by Northern View Post
        Rear shelf repair looks great

Absolutely! First thing i did was remove the complete aftermarket sound system and the alarm system. It was a total mess but i loved doing it and give me some insight on the basics of the wiring loom.

IMG_20200516_144323 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Not much to update at the moment.

I almost finished my parcel shelf. I installed these OEM Speaker covers i found in Germany. I'm just waiting on some clips to finish of the installation.
        Must say i'm quite pleased with the end result. I can't wait to fit her in my car.

I love the before and after comparisons

Before cleaning:

IMG_20201219_105855 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

After cleaning:
        IMG_20201219_111120 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Another one!

Before:

IMG_20201212_122853 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

After:

IMG_20201219_134824 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I also have some more parts that arrived. I have a new front crank seal. I got quite a big oil leak coming from the front. I allready changed the oil filter housing seal and dipstick seal a couple of months ago. So crank seal is the next on the list. I read that the crank bolt is quite a b*tch to get loose?
        Also got myself a set of new belts for alternator, AC and power steering. And last but not least i collected a spare open 168mm 4.10 differential to swap out. I got some bearing sounds coming from mine. I figured it is cheaper to swap a diff than to replace bearings. Updates on this topic will follow soon!
        Belgian E30 Driver
        /
        //
        1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
        /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
        /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Comment

Small update and some questions cornering my differential swap.

On Monday I went to my local 2nd hand E30 parts supplier. I was searching for a 4.10 open diff (original spec for 318is) for quite some time. He received some new stock and I immediately went to pick it up.
          He told me if I tried it and it was not good that I could just contact him and change it for an other one. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this one is good.

So my plans for now are to swap the diffs to check if it runs fine with no noises. If the 'new' one is good, I'll change the output seals, cover seal & washers for the oil plugs. I don't want to waste money on a bad diff.

Before pressure washing:

IMG_20201226_100105 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20201226_100112 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

After a pressure wash:

IMG_20201226_103244 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I then proceeded and opened the speedsensor to check for amount of metal shavings. I thinks the amount of small flakes are okay. Does not seem like any excessive wear has happened. Also the oil in the diff was quite black and old. I changed it while it was out of the car.

Speed sensor magnet from the 'new' differential
          IMG_20201226_125657 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Speed sensor magnet from my 'old' differential that was installed in my car. It's hard for me to compare with anything else, these are the first differentials I check myself but I got a feeling that this is a bit too much to be good.

IMG_20201226_162322 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

It's quite pleasing to see that the original diff still was in quite a good shape. No excessive rust on the outside. The car was originally a Spanish car, so never seen road salt and I think little or no rain.

IMG_20201226_161204 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

When comparing the two differentials it is obvious that the old differential has more bearing noise, a metallic dragging noise which make me really think this one has seen its better days.
          I must say that there is also a big difference in the amount of force you have to put on the input shaft to make it turn. The old one does turn nice and freely despite the noises. The new one is a lot rougher to turn but does not make as much noise.
          I'll add a video to show the differences in sound. I'm looking for some of your more experienced inputs & remarks about these parts. Thanks in advance, it is really appreciated!

Left is the old differential that came out of the car. Right is the one that will be going in.

Last edited by PieterVN; 12-26-2020, 11:01 AM.
          Belgian E30 Driver
          /
          //

Comment

Originally posted by PieterVN View Post

The Mtech II rear bumper equipped for a single outlet exhaust is indeed quite rare. Lazur is such a nice color, e30s look best in deep dark colors imo.
            My Feedback

Comment

What is it with you guys in Belgium... :)

Quality work here!
              E30 320i vert
              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                The Mtech II rear bumper equipped for a single outlet exhaust is indeed quite rare. Lazur is such a nice color, e30s look best in deep dark colors imo.
                I didn't know that these kind of bumpers were more rare than the double tailpipe bumpers. But cool detail to know thanks!
                I must say, I do like the look of dark colors with M-Tech but I also have a sweet spot for silver (Lachssilber) E30's with M-Tech parts. They emphasize the shapes of the bodywork very well.
                Not too long ago I found some pictures of a Malachite Green 325i 2-door with M-Tech kit. The combination with the staggered 16 inch Alpina wheels...this car makes me weak in the knees

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                What is it with you guys in Belgium... :)

Quality work here!
                Hahaha, I think you are referring to Martijn's 325iX Touring? Let's say the amount of detail and work I put in my car is nowhere near his car. I try my best with my brief knowledge, skills and tools.
                I never had any technical schooling but I'm really eager to try things out and teach myself a thing or two. Also I'm not scared to ask for advice from more experienced people.
                Last edited by PieterVN; 12-27-2020, 05:36 AM.
                Belgian E30 Driver
                /
                //

Comment

Good news, I installed the differentials and no more bearing noises. So pulled it from the car again to start everything to give it a new set of seals and clean it up.
                  I then started chipping all the loose chunks of rust with an old screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Also scratched and removed the grease that was in all the small nooks and crannies.
                  At work we have this heavy duty Kärcher Hot Water pressure washer that I used to give the thing a last clean up. At home I applied a layer of Brunox rust converter with a brush. Also gave the flanges a coat.
                  Next on the list will be giving it a nice coat of matte black paint.
                  I also removed the fresh oil I have put in a couple of days ago, it was already a grayish-brown colour. I'm thinking it got this colour because of water that got inside while cleaning? Only drove 4 or 5 kilometers with this oil..can't hurt to give the diff an oil flush?
                  I already started looking for the output flange oil seals, cover seal, o-rings, new crush washers.. dealer here is in holiday so I have to have some patience.
                  Most of the hardware can be reused, but I tend to get me some diff mounting studs to make the installation a bit easier. Because it was a complete pain in the a**. I think I fr*cked one of the threads on the bolts/diff. 3 of the 4 goes in smooth.
                  Only thing that bothers me is that these seem quite pricey online and most come from US suppliers. I do not want to pay +50,-€ for 4 studs.
                  So at the moment I'm trying to figure where I can buy some similar studs.

IMG_20201228_152047 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20201228_150238 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I'm still thinking if I want to media blast the cover plate when I remove it or not. But I do think I also need to get a new set of gold-plated hardware if I do it. I also do not have a blasting cabinet...yet..
                  Maybe next time, if I get a full rebuilt example or if I rebuild my other diff? It will already be a great improvement anyways.
                  Belgian E30 Driver
                  /
                  //

Comment

Just get bolts from a hardware in the correct grade and cut the heads off them, otherwise if you have any spares I think some bellhousing bolts are the correct thread
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Today some time has been spent on the differential. Gave it coat matte black. At the moment this will be on hold until I get the parts. Mounting studs are on their way from Germany

IMG_20201230_173155 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20201230_173139 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Also yesterday I received my long awaited DIN to BMW adapter to install on my wiring loom so I could fit my original BMW Reverse RDS Radio.

Freshly cut:

IMG_20201229_151516 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I labeled all the wires to be sure that I connected them correct on my car. Also pretinned the wires to make work super easy.

IMG_20201229_154127 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

I did not take pictures of the soldered loom because I was too eager to test out my radio and see how it looked installed in the car. I also found out that the wiring for the retrofitted tweeters was not correct so opened everything back up to check up on these wires and installed them correctly. After waiting a couple of weeks to receive the adapter I must say I'm quite happy with the result of sound quality of the original Premium Speakers without the amp. Can't wait to install my rear shelf with the last 2 speakers. Still waiting on the last speaker mounting clips... Also will be looking for a antenna adapter to go from DIN to ISO connector..

IMG_20201230_141518 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

Small video when testing my Phil Collins Serious Hits Cassettetape.

Belgian E30 Driver
                      /
                      //

Comment

Waiting on parts is frustrating

Did receive my set of mounting studs, probably going to change out the tensioning roundels for nyloc nuts.

IMG_20210107_115654 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

So looking forward to spring, I want to ride!!!
                        Belgian E30 Driver
                        /
                        //

Comment

Good job on the diff!

Do you have a link for the studs?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Glaede View Post
                            Good job on the diff!

Do you have a link for the studs?

Thanks!
                            Hi Glaede, found them in Germany: https://www.trackfab.de/p/differential-stehbolzen
                            Belgian E30 Driver
                            /
                            //

Comment

Also good news, a friend of mine will mediablast my diff cover and press in the new bush on his hydraulic press. Should have it back by the end of the week. So it will be a joy to look at after all .
                              I already regret that I did not order a set of new yellow passivated hardware..

received_1150866905348720 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

When removing the cover I checked the gears inside for wear and damages. All looks okay, but on the spider gears that turn when cornering there are small pits.
                              What are you guy's thoughts about this? I didn't make any noise when driving and I hope it will at least last another couple of months/years.

IMG_20210110_115758 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20210110_115838__01 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr

IMG_20210110_115812 by Pieter Van Nevel, on Flickr
                              Belgian E30 Driver
                              /
                              //

Comment

Pieter - amazing car, with a rare color I've still not seen in the wild. I can tell the car is in great hands!

By the way - your English is great, particularly since you Belgians juggle like 3 official languages that aren't English, right?! I lived in France for a couple years, so I'm about one-and-a-half lingual, but you're on another level :).

Comment

Working...
                                X