'90 325is // M60B40 Overhaul Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'90 325is // M60B40 Overhaul Project

This thread has been a long time coming, I've been on the hunt for a worthwhile e30 project car ever since selling my 18 year owned e30 track car last year. Not only did I regret selling that car, but I also slightly regret taking it so far in one direction that it became completely impractical to enjoy on a daily basis (fully stripped, fully caged, etc etc). After watching prices skyrocket, I got a bit desperate and bought a few late model "project" cars that were a bit too ambitious to take on in my current life situation, then this thing popped up locally and I just couldn't resist-

It was clearly a flip, a bit misrepresented and definitely over-priced... then again who really knows what overpriced is for e30's anymore? It was solid enough for me and I took it home!

Details:
    • '90 325is
    • ~205k miles
    • E32 M60B40
    • Getrag 420G 6sp
    • 3.73 LSD
    • H&R Race/Bilstein with some kind of fixed camber plate
    • Recaro LSC / LSB seats

As I mentioned, my current situation doesn't lend itself to a full-on build right now. We bought a house in late 2021 and I am in the middle of a garage build project, which has been an excruciatingly slow going and drawn out process in the small town that I live in. I didn't plan to really dive into this car immediately, but after some closer inspection it was obvious that some of the swap details needed improvement. The flip-guy also informed me that he accidentally drilled into the radiator for some reason, which was true. Ended up ditching the custom radiator, and going for a more traditional e36 m3 setup.

Once I had that sorted, the car was at least drivable but steel needed a significant amount of work to be enjoyable

Initial impressions and issues list:
    • TOO LOUD!- Dual 2.5" exhaust all the way back, one Dynomax muffler... Needs more
    • No head unit
    • Drivers lock cylinder broken and removed
    • Paint faded/peeling- hood and front/rear bumpers
    • Brakes- TERRIBLE. No bite and extremely inconsistent pedal feel
    • Missing front swaybar bracket
    • 3.73 too short, luckily the car came with a 3.15 torsen and I'm going to give that a shot
    • Shift rod is rubbing guibo in reverse and slight drivetrain vibration @ hwy speeds. Need to see how everything is mounted in this car, I bet driveline alignment is not ideal
    • E32 Oil filter housing not working well. Looking to change to an S62 Gulf oil filter housing for remote mounting and oil cooler addition. Have a line on a couple Bentley/RR versions of this part available for cheap in the UK
    Goals:
    • General cosmetic tighten up- Clean up swap, mechanical refresh, etc
    • Cosmetic refresh- Paint bumpers/hood, PDR and paint correction, floormats and interior freshen up, dash cap
    • Track ready- 4pt Roll bar, seats/harnesses, hoping to get my old MCS 2-ways and 5 lug parts back on this car
    • Sell on BaT for massive profit (just kidding)

As it sits currently- threw on an iS lip and some 15" weaves from one of the aforementioned aborted projects. Tires are new 205/50 Conti Extreme Contact Sport. I've just been using it to tote around my MTB since I sold my Range Rover.

Last edited by Jb325is; 01-03-2022, 08:05 PM.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Finally got a chance to get some work done on this thing over the holiday break

New Head unit- Continental TR7412UB-OR

Typical, nasty wiring

Cleaned Up

COMPLETE- Pretty happy with it. Next step is installing some BNIB Rainbow Audio speakers I had laying around

Lock Cylinder Rebuild- This was pretty satisfying. Got the full kit, ending in -343 from FCP Euro and used video by "E30Nerd" on Youtube... Definitely recommended

Also forgot I had some of these CNC Door handles laying around. Installed and loving the look/feel

Next Step- Find an exhaust shop that can build something nice to quiet this thing down. Don't want to end up doing it again later on, but tough to find the right shop around here
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Awesome... I might need to get one soon too...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice- somehow I missed this thread initially! Glad to see you found a solid car in such an odd E30 market.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Made some progress this week-

Diff

The 3.73 was wayyy too short, but luckily the car came with a spare diff which ended up being a 3.15 torsen LSD from a Z3. Axle seals looked like they'd been leaking on it so I replaced those, and just cleaned it up pretty nicely in general before throwing it in tonight. We're due to get some pretty serious ice overnight, and I got this thing installed just in time for a quick test drive- seems like it'll be a pretty good ratio, especially once I put some larger wheels/tires on here. Not sold on the Torsen though, interested to get a feel for that

Exhaust

Finally found a local exhaust shop that I felt good about and ended up havingeverything replaced from the headers back. Really wanted to quiet it down and improve the appearance and while I'm not totally in love with the sound, I am extremely happy with the look and quality of work. Wish there was something out there with 3" inlet and 3" tips, as I think the 3.5's are a bit big for this car but whatever

- Dual 2.5" to single 3"
          - Borla ProXS just in front of gas tank
          - Vibrant 1047 (3" inlet, dual 3.5" tips)
          - V-bands all the way back

Not sure what I'm going to tackle next. Brakes are definitely pretty high on the list but I really don't want to take on that project until I have the garage I'm building finished... I think it's going to be a dash out, maybe even engine out affair.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Sound clip?
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

No major updates, but I have been driving/using the car more frequently as intended. It's only purpose right now is to commute to work a few days a week when the weather is nice and carry my mountain bike around so I don't have to use my girlfriend's 4runner or put a rack on my e63... So far so good!

My overall impression thus far is that the M60 swap is not worth the trouble over an S52 for a marginal performance gain. Braking and packaging compromises are massive. Maybe my opinion will change once I improve the braking system and can make some gains on driveability, but we'll see

Roof Rack setup:
              • Yakima 1A towers
              • Newer Yakima fairing
              • 1.06" OD X .050" wall woven CF round tubes
                • These are not quite as stiff as I'd like, so I got a set of .100" wall tubes with some unidirectional plies in them

- '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                Sound clip?
                I second this motion!

Seems this would be the best part of an M60 swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                  My overall impression thus far is that the M60 swap is not worth the trouble over an S52 for a marginal performance gain. Braking and packaging compromises are massive. Maybe my opinion will change once I improve the braking system and can make some gains on driveability, but we'll see
                  Is it because the S52 is good-enough swap without the brake booster headache? (The 24v as you know still has them, but not as bad as the V8) Would it have made more sense if it was an M62? If the brakes were better would the power be worth it? The difference in torque is substantial isnt it?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                  X