No announcement yet.

M42 Turbo Build (Semi Budget, keepng AC!) No 56k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! You have inspired me to turbo my M42.
    My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Glad to hear it. I hope to add more vids of fly by's, in car, etc. in the next week or two.

That exhaust vid I posted on the last page is the sex to my ears. I am uber happy with the way the car sounds now.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

ZOMFG that is exactly the sound I am after! Congrats man that exhaust just about makes all the work worth it!

Whats up with the idle I thought you took the cams out? Just running it rich and low idle?

Paging Danny to get in here and loose his shit.
        - Chris
        Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Sounds awesome, Really makes me want to do mine now hahah.

Turbo M42 Build thread:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

Cool beans. In for updates (like dyno slips, and final AFRs).

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

I just shit my pants.

Comment

Very nice :). now I really can't wait for mine to be done, haha. And what's up with the really lumpy idle?

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Thanks guys for the compliments. I'm still tuning the car a bit, but she runs really solidly. AFR's at idle are ~13.8 (she likes it rich), cruising are ~15.5's, and WOT @11psi are at around 11.8ish.

The reason the idle sounds a bit lopey is because I don't run an ICV. If you listen carefully you can hear when the motor goes from idling at 950-1050 (smoother) to 800-900 rpms (lopey). It happens somewhere about when I am getting out of the car. I turned on my electric fan so that she would not overheat just sitting there idling. I had just taken her on a pretty hard run to adjust my boost controller.

I want MS2 so I can run a 3 wire ICV and do blended TPSdot and MAPdot. With MS1 extra I can either have it perfectly smooth on cruising or perfectly smooth on WOT. I have chosen to try to get as close to the middle of those two as possible so that she runs smoothly enough to be a daily.

I will post my .msq's and a log file when I have it where I want it before dyno'ing it. Then I will post dyno figures. Eventually I'd like to have it dyno tuned since I don't have the balls to mess with the spark map. We'll see what the budget allows.

As always I'll keep you all posted.
                  "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

Still, amazing job buddy.

Comment

Big time teaser update guys.

Did some tuning and the car is running buttery smooth now (without AC on of course, stupid no ICV). She pulls even harder now too. Hits peak boost at 180kpa (about 11.6psi). Bleeds off a little bit because I am using a shitty manual boost controller. Not too bad though, definitely still pulls hard all the way to redline.

Will post my .msq and a log file tomorrow so that hopefully you guys can catch any holes in my tune if (I'm sure I do) I have some.

But here is the BIG teaser part. Called Henderson Performance today and have a dyno day scheduled for July 18th! I am stoked. I will be happy with anything around 200rwhp but everyone who has been in my car guesses 220rwhp.

BTW, if you are in the San Antonio area and are interested in getting your car dyno'd, let me know. I am going up there with a bunch of guys and they are doing 2 pulls for us for $40. Not too bad. PM me for details.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                        I will be happy with anything around 200rwhp but everyone who has been in my car guesses 220rwhp.

I will guess 165whp (which I'm told is about as accurate as seat of the pants guesses). ;-)
                        sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

Originally posted by s_ribs View Post
                          I will guess 165whp (which I'm told is about as accurate as seat of the pants guesses). ;-)
                          LOL I hope not. My car dyno'd 137whp before any boost. If I only gained 28whp, I'll sell the car the day after the dyno. ;)
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

More updates...

1. Got the ICV circuit working finally. It idles smooth now with AC on or off. Still has some stumbling issues (with AC on) when returning to idle at low speed, but it is 100000 times better than not being able to use the AC at idle at all. With the AC off it works perfectly now.

2. Installed a Hallman Pro Rx manual boost controller. No more boost bleed/leak at all. I now have the full 10.5psi all the way to 7000 rpms. :) I can now chirp third gear pretty easily...

3. Changed my gauge setup to something a little more aesthetically pleasing. Also turned out to be more functional as well. I like this much better. See pics.

And the bad news... we couldn't get enough guys for the dyno, so I still have no idea what this thing actually puts down. Suck. I was really looking forward to that. I have rescheduled it for sometime in October/November. Hopefully more guys will want to go out there when it is cooler.

91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

How is you boost controller spliced in?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

How'd you mount that? Looks super clean!
                                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                                X