Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    They are PBR Mastercylinders. I can't remember the exact model numbers, but I just went to the local brake shop and picked them out of the catalogue. Old Toyota Celica Clutch Master cylinders are very similar (from memory) and this is what people used to used for a hydraulic handbrake.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    Ohhh! Me likey!

Sucks about the crank tho!

One more question, which I missed what master cylinder brand are you using for your master cylinders? They look just about what I want to use on my retro fitting of the stock hand brake handle to hydro conversion... I want the ratchet and stock brake as it's going into my street car.

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
    It's coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the turbo motor in the full chassis and out the quarter ;)
    It's out of the quarter.

Unfortunately I pulled it down today ready to send off for machining and looks like the crank has been overheated to buggery. Has the blue temp marks you get on exhausts!

Going to strip down the other spare tomorrow and hopefully that crank and block is good to be sent off for machining.

Leave a comment:

• SA E30
    replied
    It's coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the turbo motor in the full chassis and out the quarter ;)

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
    All thats left is to make some hub centre extendo's for the fronts (like the Turner Motorsport items). And one more rear brake rotor spacer. Then I just need to order the new front hubs and rear wheel bearings. My press in studs are here ready to go.
    Originally posted by DTM190 View Post
    Good work slutbags, hope you made 2 of everything ;)
    I know your only Teasing but Im fucking tired! Went to work at 5 before I came home and played silly buggers in the shed all day!

More importantly I made sure I handed the caliper adapters correctly ;)
    Last edited by e30guydownunder; 05-29-2011, 06:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DTM190
    replied
    Good work slutbags, hope you made 2 of everything ;)

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Alright so Today I got down to business and shit is going at quite a pace :)

For a while now the front and rear rotors were in a state they fit on the hubs:

Rears:

Front Spacer:

Front Rotor:

The calipers were just sitting on for those pictures. But today I fixed that!
    The Rear's use a simple 10mm flatbar adapter:

The Rear's all bolted up:

The front's were a lil more complicated. Where the caliper is sitting I didn't have enough space for an adapter between the upright and where the caliper was. So it had to go out and around:

From the front:

A view of the bit's made to date:

I didn't know the rear rotor hats weren't going to be as thick as the original rotors, so the 3mm spacer was made. This also got me out so the 10mm adapter would work nicely.

All thats left is to make some hub centre extendo's for the fronts (like the Turner Motorsport items). And one more rear brake rotor spacer. Then I just need to order the new front hubs and rear wheel bearings. My press in studs are here ready to go.

Now I can focus on rebuilding the engine and getting this thing ready for an event in July.

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Gotta slow this shit down:

Today work started on the brakes. Wakefield raised a heavy brake pedal as an issue with the new pedal setup. Rather than buying ANOTHER set of master cylinders, obviously the logical thing to do is fit larger calipers. I'm going to need something once turbo'd anyway.

I wasn't happy with how the GTR brake setup was going to work out under a 15". Really need 16" wheels to run a 296mm disc successfully, can just imagine rocks getting in there and tearing the wheels to shreds.

So we have gone with some 280mm discs up front, 270mm down back and I'm using sliding WRX Calipers....I know, not a racing caliper, BUDGET. I've been struggling to give these things away and they seem to work decent on the WRX anyway. The lil E30 is some 400kg's lighter also.

I need some spacers behind the front rotors to get the backspacing where I want it....The E30 front rotors worked out nicely :D

These were machined to the right OD to locate the rotor hubcentrically:

The rear rotors are the right backspacing but will need the PCD redrilled. So I machined down an old front hub (centre bore was too big) to suit the rear rotors and drilled the locating hole thru from the standard rear rotor. Now I have a drilling template for the new rear rotors.

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Thanks for the pics dave. Looks great!

My Good Friday has been good!

Kept the sump up above the crossmember height, no more cracked pans for me!

All the bits ready to be welded together:

Pretty happy with how it has come along. Good things: Standard dipstick now works, oil pickup in the flange of the sump is as factory and no chance of it stuffing up -> engine failure, aluminium has a better heat rejection than steel, the thing doesn't weight 10kgs!

Leave a comment:

• dsm2002
    replied
    Chris

Thought you'd like to see the pics of the head. I'll get the flow figures next week. Now for some pistons and rods.

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    This project is not ded, the engine is in the shed upside down, with no head and a hlf constructed aluminium sump.

MLS has been ordered...O-rings seem like a bit much stuffing around and SHOULD in reality work.

should be an interesting update within a month if I plan on attending the next track day ;)

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    I'm nearly caught up to your rate of progress! The Daily's have been giving me hell, moving from the E30 was a bad idea.

Pretty keen to get it out and try some new tyres though. Should be good fun. Will have my GoPro ready also.

Leave a comment:

• Firestorm
    replied
    Good progress man!

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    Preparations have begun for a trackday March 19th. Advan A050's should arrive this week and the continual aquistion of parts for boost continues.

Leave a comment:

• e30guydownunder
    replied
    It's just as wel;l my booster looks like this then :)

Got my Twin master cylinder setup in and working finally. Just need to move the fuse box and then I can mount up the fluid reservoir properly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X