1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
    1987 325ic Black Vert
    1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
    1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
      Love it. Great touring. Good work, keep it up!
      Originally posted by Julien View Post
      OP: you own a normal shape touring for europe. they take abuse there

Good luck with the resto :pimp:
      Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
      Great job Charley. Thanks for taking the time to document the restoration.

Lee
      Originally posted by Luis325 View Post
      Nice Build! Cant wait to see it done!
      Thanks for the comments/motivation guys

Originally posted by accident View Post
      glad to know it's not a bitch. the antenna gasket on the non-tourings fucking sucks. the new ones are tight so you have to pull the antenna out, pop the gasket in, and then force the shit out of the antenna to get it to go through.
      Antena? Its the fuel filler gasket that I replaced ...Not the antenna gasket

Charley

Comment

yeah i know, it was meant as an example of shitty gaskets lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Nice work! I appreciate the writeup on the shifter issues. I've been battling a sloppy shifter forever, even with all-new bushings. I'm wondering if maybe my carrier rod has oval'd (?) holes too.

Comment

Small update:

I installed my light dimmer from GG:

This is what you get from GG

Instruction are really simple, easy and well written so even an electrically
            challenged person like me could do it. Only 1 step wasn't mentioned but
            it is so obvious that its not necessary to write it down.

The step that is not mentioned is to remove this cap to access the relay
            socket.

I used tie wraps to secure the dimmer module to what I think is the
            control module for the door locks. I wired it wrong the first time(pic)
            There is two way of connecting it. One way(pic) if your car has the relay
            from the factory. And the second way is that you have to splice in the
            door switch. Its only one wire so you can't really mess this up.

I also fitted the voltmeter I had ordered as well to see how it looked with
            the rest of the switches. It is not wired yet since I still need a fuse holder
            to install it properly and I didn't had any... I will try to get one this
            week-end.

So all you get for now is a pic of it. It kinda stands out in the pic but you
            really don't notice it when its off.(I had my brother sit in the car and
            asked him what was different since the last time he drove it... he only
            noticed the shifter... so yeah its stealth.

I also bought a wideband from George but I will need to relocate one
            switch elsewhere since I don't have any slots left(already took out the
            fader) I have an idea of what to do but I don't know if it will work yet...

EDIT: I will mount the voltmeter where the A/C switch usually mounts,
            this way I don't have to relocate any switch.

Also I should have my modded subframe+trailing arms back on Monday

Charley
            Last edited by Charley; 11-03-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
              yeah i know, it was meant as an example of shitty gaskets lol
              got it, I've never did the antena grommet/gasket.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              Nice work! I appreciate the writeup on the shifter issues. I've been battling a sloppy shifter forever, even with all-new bushings. I'm wondering if maybe my carrier rod has oval'd (?) holes too.
              If you ordered the pn # 25117501309 then it probably is...Also mine
              was labeled e34...

Comment

What dye are you using on the carpet?

Comment

E30 touring's are just pure sex.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                    What dye are you using on the carpet?
                    I won't do this job soon since the car is in storage for the winter.

But I was going to use spray can dye but after talking to a friend of
                    my dads I might use some dye from a upholstery shop. He said it is
                    sold by the gallon and that it lasted for ever in his f-150 never faded
                    (he went from red to black). It is also cheaper.

Charley

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
                      I won't do this job soon since the car is in storage for the winter.

But I was going to use spray can dye but after talking to a friend of
                      my dads I might use some dye from a upholstery shop. He said it is
                      sold by the gallon and that it lasted for ever in his f-150 never faded
                      (he went from red to black). It is also cheaper.

Charley
                      What brand is it?

Comment

I love tourings - especially yours!

Comment

The only thing this car needs are some sick wheels. Oh I don't maybe a set of Bbs Rs 211's would do.
                          sigpic
                          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                            The only thing this car needs are some sick wheels. Oh I don't maybe a set of Bbs Rs 211's would do.
                            Well that sounds like a great idea! I should start looking to get my
                            hands on a set.

Comment

So its christmas early for me! :)

BBS RS 211 - 16x8 et11 5x120

I only received two and the two others are still in the mail. I was planning
                              on completely refinishing them but they are in better shape than I
                              expected. So far I need to get new bolts and BBS logos. One of lip has two small bends that need to be fixed but thats it.

The original plan was to have the centers powder coated nogaro and have
                              everything else polished. But I'm not sure about this anymore .

I have to thank Levent as he helped with shipping and James the seller,
                              I'm not sure he's on R3V though.

Christmas is in 10 days!

Charley

Comment

So its time for a little update of the situation.

For the past two months I have been crawling around with crutches because
                                of a ski accident. I have not been working either for those two past month.
                                Employment insurance is only giving a 1/3 of what i usually make. So yeah
                                not a lot of funds right now. Also I started school a month ago.

Now I should loose the crutches and the splint on tuesday. So its time
                                to make a plan of attack as my plan is to attend Guten fest this year.

Stuff to be done:

-Install the 5lug -Rebuild the brakes (powdercoated+new seals)
                                -swap the H&R+bilsteins over from the 4lug
                                -I may buy GC camber plates not sure yet

-Dye the carpets: front carpets/rear and the rear side panels

-Have some rust taken care of I have a nice neighbor who offered to help
                                with that.

-Front end refresh: Install new smoked Hellas + yellow laminix
                                Source and paint an Is lip (might get a spliter if
                                the funds allow it)

-Decide what wheels to run: I have a set of 16x8.5 ACT that need a
                                refinish and I need to source center caps
                                Or I could run the RS as is without refinish
                                them, I really don't have the funds for it
                                right now.

-Buy tires: I want 225/45 but they are pricey and very few. I might go
                                with some 215/45 if I can't find anything reasonable.

-Drive shaft: I'm pretty sure mine is toast I had a vibration at end of
                                the summer and I'm pretty sure its my problem.

-Door cards:I need source some stock ones.

I'm pretty sure I'll find other stuff that need attention but so far thats it.
                                I should start updating this thread weekly in two weeks or so.

Charley

Comment

Working...
                                X