BBM x Schwartz x Saloons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBM x Schwartz x Saloons

First off Hi again r3v. I've been around the modded scene a few years now had a show scion that was 3 colors in one year, in TV commercials and magazines and other sponsorships and bullshit. Ultimately wanting to hit the track I needed to get my hands on something more performance driven that would fit a student's budget to keep running. After falling for the E30 I decided to do as much back-end research as I could being at best a novice mechanic. Liking the E30's offering of a good community(thats you fuckers) and strong aftermarket as well as available OEM pieces I decided to pull the trigger, saved the cash and even had my girlfriend in love with the little bricks. So we found two in one weekend that fit all of our wants spare the non-running condition of the schwarz, and even our very low price range of $2700

My ex-[boat storage] Workspace:

(shows my shelves reducing walk space)

(shows the unfortunate bay window reducing walk space)

Welp Here's the build thread:

Twin 1989 BMW 325i Saloons

: My gift to my girlfriend. Current daily driver and progressive full restore. She wants something that conveys her style but only in ways that parallel the classic BMW look. Luxury x Style with special attention in comfort and near-stock category.

Specs: Automatic | Tan Vinyl Interior | Manual Sunroof | Sealed Beams |Suspension: Stock? | Running Stock Drivetrain ~200Kmi | The PO Pulled the 5-speed out and swapped in one of his automatics | Wonky cluster broken odo | etc.

Desperately needs repaint a PO has it painted a flat color similar to BBM but definitely off with no clear coat and painted door handles to match

Paint gets a 1/10 for at least being there

Exterior gets a 5/10 Missing Trim Broken Trim dents in both doors and the trunk lid as well as bent and cracked valences

Interior gets a 5/10 with some nice vinyl seats almost no tears (only 1 I think) an old but working nearly 100% sony CD player and a completely cracked dash as well as an unfortunately bad headliner

My overall rating is 5/10

Cost: $1500

: My daily driver, future full restore and 24v DOHC swap Ultimate Upgraded Driving Machine. I want something I can daily drive modestly, pull on much more expensive cars on the open roads, and even be able to track occasionally. Something to look classic, and drive pure. Show quality and performance should get high marks here, this being my first black car, I'd like to make it my last >:]

Specs: 5-speed | Tan Cloth interior | Manual Sunroof | Elipsoids | isTrunk Lip | Suspension: Billys on the rear front end unknown RacingDynamics Springs F&R Engine bay Strut rear strut front end strut brands unknown | Supposed working odo and original mileage 155Kmi | Neglected:Snapped timing belt damage unknown | Oil leaked all over stock skid plate/oil pan nearly empty and very sludgy |

Desperately needs buffing / waxing paint is 4/10 with a LOT of swirls, scratches, and bare to the metal/rust spots

Exterior gets a 6/10 with a few dents / bends / rust spots luckily mostly on either hood or trunk and paint as stated above

Interior gets a 3/10 with seats holding good springs but very poor cloth nearly shredded, a completely cracked dash and an aux in stereo missing a wiring harness

My overall rating considering its supposed to be a daily driver is 3/10 (6/10 if/when running)

Cost: $1200

So that's all the details I can think of right now, I'll come back and reformat it so its nicer to read and includes pictures of listed individual details.

Coming Attractions:

Purchasing a Bentley

Building a tool collection from scratch

BBM: Swap the h/u from the schwarz over with a new wiring harness for iPod capability. Get it up and check out the suspension's health. Talk to my painter about getting it sprayed, shes not sure if its staying BBM or not quite yet :]

Schwarz: First order of business on the schwarz is to remove most of the engine bay parts/hood, clean and maintain them, address the timing belt and possible valve damage.

If there is no valve damage (because the car was at idle when the belt snapped) I will replace all gaskets hoses and belts then re-install everything.

If there is damage to the valves or pistons, that means (I'm told by one person) I am looking at $950 -$1500 in repairs. I am very skeptical on these numbers as I have seen entire m20's go for $200-$500, and as I understand it only damage could be to the valves / pistons so how could it possibly warrant that much money in labor or parts. If that is the case however, I will part out what is not needed of the car and start my 24v swap immediately.

I will be heavily leaning on the r3v community until this car is running, and I plan to be here for a long time after that to document the work on the two cars and learn as much as possible in the process. As well as create some hand built custom driving pieces for various wrenchophiles to stare at.

Anyways, I just wanted to get this started not sure if I'll be hosting pictures on here or somewhere else for better formatting, but they'll be up sooner or later (tomorrow probably hah). Any comments or questions are welcomed.

Any insight is very appreciated, welcomed, already searched for, or soon to be requested anyways. Haha
    Last edited by Scallywagon; 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM.
    ( f ; _ ; )f

hello

It costs a bunch to redo an M20 head. You're better off looking for an intact head if yours is fucked. Or, just pull all that crap out and put in a 24v.
    cars beep boop

Comment

24v!

Comment

fuck it- go 32v. its a show/go car right?
        sigpic89 M3

Comment

very interested to see how the schwarz car plays out. subscribed.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Glad to see you guys are interested in more!

Have the front end on the schwarz disassembled, waiting to get a compression tool before we continue.

Have some pictures of the exterior issues with the car, my workspace, and the builds general progress.

I was going back and forth on how to upload these, started one way and decided against it to try the r3v uploader and I couldn't remember if it made the photos tiny thumbnails or not.

Anyways, I'll do the photos in the morning, just wanted to update you guys.
            ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Good Start Evan!!

Cannot wait to see how it pans out.

Please contact me for any help

Comment

After I pushed the schwarz into my work area and gave it another bath, seem to have moved to an even dustier part of Ventura...:

My shelves after the start of the breakdown:

Schwarz car status(note oil cooler):

My front valence tweeked out from at least one front end (driver's side as you can see respray on the 5mph bumper) accident and probably tons of bottoming out (previously noted oil cooler hanging by its tubes):

My Radiator plug in 5+ Pieces, which seemed to be a trend when it came to plastic connectors on this car:

Thats it for now, will have interior's for both cars and flaws on the BBM this weekend sometime!
                Last edited by Scallywagon; 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM.
                ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

My 91 is in a similar condition to your "show/go."
                  Sub'd to see how you tackle everything. Good luck!

Comment

Whats with these bottlecaps? is there something else besides the 4 lugs to get them off? or are mine just corroded on there?

Can't even get the driver's side off with an electric impact... in fact I went 7 for 16 on being able to remove lug nuts
                    ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Okay been making a list of need-to's

Replace
                      Repair
                      Upgrade

Side note however; What is the goop on the firewall / under the drivers side called? Do some of you guys strip / clean that shit out? Mine looks like garbage and its just bringing my engine bay down, I'd like to just get rid of it altogether, but if its an important insulator that is irreplaceable I'll figure something else out.

Now for the important question, If you were doing a motor swap and had no shortage of elbow-grease / time what would you do while your engine bay was empty?
                      Last edited by Scallywagon; 07-06-2010, 04:48 PM.
                      ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

on my friends 91 e30, the only way to get his lugs off is with a 25" breaker. and jumping on it.

its not even something he can prevent. if his wheels are on longer than a month. he needs to pull out the breaker.

maybe hit them with some PB blaster too.

answer: clean it with a toothbrush.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          on my friends 91 e30, the only way to get his lugs off is with a 25" breaker. and jumping on it.

its not even something he can prevent. if his wheels are on longer than a month. he needs to pull out the breaker.

maybe hit them with some PB blaster too.

answer: clean it with a toothbrush.
                          ^ That's what I'm thinking, that's why I wanna ditch the firewall goop

I'll lube 'em and get 'em off...I was just surprised after I took all 4 lugs off the rear passenger wouldn't budge
                          ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Sledgehammer behind the rim, wheels become corroded to hub, it happens.

WTF 5 Speed to Auto swap....Fuck that.

If your head ends up needing to be replaced, ive got one sitting in my garage doing nothing, it was brand new...cant sell it...Only problem is im on opposite coast so shipping would be alot but I'd let it go wicked cheap. Just throwin that out there.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                              Sledgehammer behind the rim, wheels become corroded to hub, it happens.

WTF 5 Speed to Auto swap....Fuck that.

If your head ends up needing to be replaced, ive got one sitting in my garage doing nothing, it was brand new...cant sell it...Only problem is im on opposite coast so shipping would be alot but I'd let it go wicked cheap. Just throwin that out there.
                              I'll stay in touch, I should know this weekend. Thanks
                              ( f ; _ ; )f

Comment

Working...
                              X