No announcement yet.

Absorbantnut's '87 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to sound like a cyber-stalker, but do you live in that neighborhood behind skyline chili(us1 and 26th st)???
    I swear I've seen that car hanging around there

Comment

So ordered a luke box, a subwoofer, picked up some body glazy, and painted the trunklid. Still need to get around to welding that stuff & the rockers. No pics tho as I continue to suffer from tramatic phone problems. Seems like phones just flat out dont like me :p

I think I'm getting the hang of this painting thing though, as I dont have nearly as much orange peel as I did in the beginning. Also learned, or should I say am beginning to understand, how to wetsand. Sure does make things a lot smoother!

Hopefully I get around to taking some pics later...

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

I admire your dedication. Great work so far! Can't wait to see how things come along.

Comment

Quick question......should I grind off the ruberized coating on the front valance? I've seen some nice examples, and it looks great....Any input is appreciated ;)

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Seems that I'll have some more stuff to wire up later;)

Comment

HAHA! That's too funny! I'm browsing your build thread, and all of sudden, POW! There's a picture of the headlights on my bedsheets! HEHEHE!

Looks like you've done a heck of a job on this car!!
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

how does a car in florida even get that rusty?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike The Bavarian View Post
                  how does a car in florida even get that rusty?
                  I'm actually told that the car was first bought in Alaska, then it was taken to kentucky, then moved down to talahassee in 2000. It sat for 10 years, and then I came along and picked it up:o In the 13 years prior to sitting it managed to accumulate 257,000ish miles.

Comment

So... are you just shooting everything as it sits? No plastic, covering, humidity control etc? Just trying to figure out how I am going to do mine in Virginia.... Where 1/2 a garage with no basement is apparently a 'garage'. Couldn't even fit the car in there let alone put up plastic and work around it. Neighbors don't care?

Comment

Hey, man, I sent you a PM yesterday. R3v's been down a fair bit today so I don't know if you'd seen it yet. Please PM me your address so I can send the lights to you. Danke!
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                      #teamross
                      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by havand View Post
                        So... are you just shooting everything as it sits? No plastic, covering, humidity control etc? Just trying to figure out how I am going to do mine in Virginia.... Where 1/2 a garage with no basement is apparently a 'garage'. Couldn't even fit the car in there let alone put up plastic and work around it. Neighbors don't care?
                        Yup, that sounds about right. I just wet the grass and driveway down. And move the cars so there is no chance of overspray on them. I usually seem to paint when the neighbors aren't home, but when they are I won't spray if the kids are outside or if they are doing anything close to me. I do my best to stay on their good side:) Most of them seem to like me painting actually. They always come by & talk to me about it and how far it's coming along. And some are pretty amazed that I'm only 17. It's a good way to need people :p
                        Originally posted by kingston View Post
                        Hey, man, I sent you a PM yesterday. R3v's been down a fair bit today so I don't know if you'd seen it yet. Please PM me your address so I can send the lights to you. Danke!
                        Got the PM and replied! Thanks again

Comment

Well, here's a rather momentous update guys

I arrive home sometime last week to find this package sitting on my doorstep. What ever could it be:nice:

Now, this guy was pretty big, and the box was a bit of a stickler to open

Yet another box you say?

Now this is getting a little ridiculous:giggle:

Seems like it has finally been unmasked! Now this thing is HUGE

That magnet weighs a ton!

But what is the fun in getting one box when you can get two? This "little" guy arrived a few hours ago. Wonder what it could be this time...what goes with a sub-woofer...

What could these strange markings mean

Ingenious packing system. Allows a very snug fit all the way around. Nice job Luke;)

OH, so thats what was in the box

A Luke Box also comes with a piece of carpet material and a template. I think that this is the "pretty panel". It is a perfect match to the e30 trunk carpet!

Here is the "pretty panel" laid out next to the box

Then the template

And a close up to show that it isnt just a piece of cardboard(my camera sucks)

And here's a picture of the mock up

Words cannot express what a great seller Luke is. He is also one of the best sound guys in the business. Thanks again Luke!

Also I have a picture of that painted trunk from before. I didn't completely forget;)

And a picture of a little set back

Comment

Well, the US ellips have arrived! Kingston is a great seller! Good prices & fast shipping, if you need anything from him, do not hesitate!!

Well, enough of the small talk, lets get onto the pictures:D Amazing packaging, there was no possible way that these things could've been damaged at all during shipping!

Heres a shot of the lights, virtually zero pitting:p

And a backside shot for the heck of it.

Can't wait to wire these babies up! They'll have to go on the vert for now though until the coupe is driveable8)

Comment

So I had to end up driving the car to John's shop a few days ago, and after reassembling all the essentials, it wont start. Dang thing won't even turn over. Great. And its nearing 12am and I have to be there the next morning:yawn: I fairly quickly deduce that the starter is the problem, seeing as everything else is functioning well for the most part:p Well, lets start burning the midnight oil!

Those pictures above are of me "rebuilding" the starter. All I really had to do was take it apart & give it a good cleaning, knock a bunch of what looked like grafite powder out of it, and I was good to go! This was around 2:15am-ish. It took me a while because I only had a handful of tools that were either broken, or I didnt need them Then after testing it with a battery charger and making sure it worked, I put it back in the car.

The next morning, I go to leave and remember, "I dont have any turn signals!" Well, good thing I saved my diving boards:o

Masking taped on there for good measure, I was ready to head out to the shop. Got a lot of stuff accomplished there. I learned the correct ways to weld, and how to fill all my holes for one:D Also had a quick tune burned for me to get my car home safely. It wouldn't seem to hold an idle, but Ben & John worked their magic and managed to make the car run without having to pump on the gas.

Fastforward a few days and we come to yesterday. My older sister helped me remove all the tar in my trunk and it was a huge help! Here are some after pictures seeing as I didn't take any before:p

Here's all the nasty old tar

Also punched out the ski panel in preparation for the luke box

Comment

Here's some pictures of recent progress

Learning how to weld & patch my holes:

Prepping the passenger rear quarter for paint

Primering it

This one is kinda cool in my opinion because it kinda shows the progress.
                                Primering-->Painting-->Original paint

And then a day or two later the roof was primered as well

That's all for now folks:finger:

Comment

Working...
                                X