No announcement yet.

E30 M3 Steel Bodywork Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your clear doesn't look like it laid down that bad.. what is it doing? Raising, orange peel? It can't be that bad, my e30 has a $135 Dupli Color job done in a mostly clean garage...
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
      Went back to the shop tonight to cleanup and snapped a few pics of the style 42's mocked up on the car after I pulled the tape off of it. Obviously no tires, but the pics give a decent representation of the end result I'm going for...

wow looks really nice, nice wheels, nice car :up:
      sigpic

my build thread:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=232324

Comment

still picking my jaw up from the floor. Those wheels are going to look amazing! I dont know if i just missed it when reading the thread, but what OEM BMW white did you go with, or is it just some random white? looks great.
        1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
          Your clear doesn't look like it laid down that bad.. what is it doing? Raising, orange peel? It can't be that bad, my e30 has a $135 Dupli Color job done in a mostly clean garage...
          It's a clear I'd never used before and I didn't know whether or not I should reduce it. I didn't and should have and I over pressurized the gun, so it's not as smooth as it should be. I know what needs to be done to fix it, so I'll get it done this week...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
            still picking my jaw up from the floor. Those wheels are going to look amazing! I dont know if i just missed it when reading the thread, but what OEM BMW white did you go with, or is it just some random white? looks great.
            It is not Alpineweiss III, but it's very close. It's Eastwood's low VOC urethane Pure White. It's bright under the lights in the shop... can't wait to see it in the sunlight...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by red_e30 View Post
              wow looks really nice, nice wheels, nice car :up:
              Thanks man... I'm pretty happy with it:D

Garey

Comment

Very nice! That thing looks so mean without the spoiler!

Comment

Garey, it looks awesome man! I'm sure the clear won't be a huge deal. Looks like it just needs to be knocked down and polished back up, right?
                  '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                    Very nice! That thing looks so mean without the spoiler!
                    Ha... I've heard other people say the same thing... they like the M3 without the rear spoiler. It doesn't even have the trunk lid on it either in those shots... clear was still too fresh...

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                    Garey, it looks awesome man! I'm sure the clear won't be a huge deal. Looks like it just needs to be knocked down and polished back up, right?
                    Yeah, it's gonna need sanded back and maybe another 2 coats shot on it to level it out. I should have reduced it, given the ambient temperature, but it should be an easy thing to take care of...

Garey
                    Last edited by bmwmech1; 03-19-2012, 08:05 AM.

Comment

great progress man.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

You've got to be so happy at this point, even with the clear situation. Did you have any dust-up issues with not using a booth?

Had my car resprayed last year and he used PPG base/clear. The 3000 clear lays on easy and looks great after it's color-sanded. I've heard good things about the Eastwood line, just haven't seen it in person. Seems to be a muscle car preference.

Here's a couple pics to get you eager to finish:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Body & Paint 22.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	7140781

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	7140782

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                          You've got to be so happy at this point, even with the clear situation. Did you have any dust-up issues with not using a booth?

Had my car resprayed last year and he used PPG base/clear. The 3000 clear lays on easy and looks great after it's color-sanded. I've heard good things about the Eastwood line, just haven't seen it in person. Seems to be a muscle car preference.

Here's a couple pics to get you eager to finish:

[ATTACH]53703[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]53704[/ATTACH]
                          Yeah, that looks nice... I didn't have any issues except for the temp/reducer, which was my fault. The Eastwood stuff is nice to use, the primer was excellent, the base was too, I just goofed on the clear. It's fixable, so no worries. I used their single stage on the interior, inside of the trunk and the bay, since I thought clearing those areas was a waste. That laid on very nice as well. I am motivated to get done, for sure. Nice to think that some stuff I can leave on the car for good, now... that's a great feeling in itself...

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          great progress man.
                          Thanks man, I'm pretty psyched to be looking at an all white shell...

Garey
                          Last edited by bmwmech1; 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I quick knocked down a corner of the decklid before I left today, to see how the clear looked after sanding it back and it levels out pretty nicely. I still think I will lay another 2 coats on it, after I sand it back, since I don't know how much film will be left after sanding. Plus, the clear being urethane, it has to be abraded before top-coating it, if more than 18 hours has elapsed...

Garey

Comment

The whole car is wet sanded back now in preparation to shoot more clear on it tomorrow evening. The temperature is supposed to be in the mid to high 70's tomorrow, I'll reduce the clear and lay on 2 more coats. I'll shoot some pics when I get done tomorrow night...:)

Garey

Comment

That looks amazing!
                                sigpic
                                BIMMER für IMMER

Comment

Working...
                                X