Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
    Garey,

Out of curiosity, and I apologize if it's been covered already, but how will you be attaching the rear side windows once you begin reassembling?

Best,
    Chris
    I'm using fixed mount, no vent rear quarter windows. They're held in by the gaskets and the 2 little studs at the B-pillar. The lower stud is fully accessible, the upper will be a bitch, but still doable...

On a different note... no pics tonight, but the body is in primer, the hood and doors have been shot with high build primer and sanded back and I'm ready to shoot the urethane primer on them and the deck lid in the morning. Then I'll sand back the body while they dry and once dry, I'll start shooting color. Should wrap up the color and clear over the weekend, so I'll have picture proof on Sunday night.

Garey
    Last edited by bmwmech1; 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Here's a few pics of where I am right now... sanding, ugh... All the panels are primed,the shell is sanded back now and I'll spray color tomorrow night and the clear on Sunday...

And a couple of teaser pics of the underside of the hood and trunk, which are painted and cleared...

Until tomorrow...

Garey

Comment

Oh god, yes. Can't wait.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
          Oh god, yes. Can't wait.
          Haha... It's kind of like prom night in high school, lol!:):):)

Garey

Comment

sweet jesus
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

may you live till your 300 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by M3/e30fanatic View Post
                may you live till your 300 years old.
                Only 300? Lol! Thanks man...

Garey

Comment

Lookin great Garey, I always get antsy when a car gets closer and closer to the day it gets painted. What paint system are you using? I'm kinda partial to PPG myself.

On another note, when you finish your's sent out here and I'll drive it for ya while you fix up mine !!!!HAHAHA
                  sigpic
                  Justin Angelli
                  1985 325e Gazellenbiege

Comment

Originally posted by 85e325 View Post
                    Lookin great Garey, I always get antsy when a car gets closer and closer to the day it gets painted. What paint system are you using? I'm kinda partial to PPG myself.

On another note, when you finish your's sent out here and I'll drive it for ya while you fix up mine !!!!HAHAHA
                    Well, not being a painter, I decided to ask for some recommendations from a painter friend, who does muscle car restorations. He uses pretty much everything/whatever his customers decide/want to use, but he has been using Eastwood's urethane paints with good success for years now. So that's what I'm using... Low VOC urethane primer, urethane single stage for everything inside or underneath the car and low VOC urethane basecoat/clearcoat for all the exterior panels. I'm very happy with it so far... the primer was a little tough to get it to flow out initially, but some reducer and a little more gun pressure solved that. It sanded back decently and the undersides of the panels I've painted/cleared looked pretty nice, before I left last night. I'll have an update tomorrow evening, once the entire exterior is painted/cleared...

As far as sending mine out to you, we could just swap cars, if you like... I'll give you mine and then you give me yours and at least $50K on top... Sound good?;)

Garey

Comment

oh man, I can't wait to see the paint go on!

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

lookin goood!

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                        RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

As promised, the car is indeed white. Long night last night and I just got back from the shop again today, a little while ago. I'm not thrilled with how the clear laid down, so that will need to be addressed... I didn't reduce it any and in hindsight, probably should have, but no use crying over spilled milk. It is easy enough to fix, so I'm not going to stress about it. I did realize on my way home, that I won't have to take the doors off again, which is kind of a big deal, so that's a bonus. Anyway, enough rambling, I'm going to bed...

Basecoated...

Cleared...

And the style 42's, mid refinishing...

Garey

Comment

The fresh smell of new paint.. MMMmm.
                            Work We Do
                            CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                            http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Awesome! Looks great!
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Went back to the shop tonight to cleanup and snapped a few pics of the style 42's mocked up on the car after I pulled the tape off of it. Obviously no tires, but the pics give a decent representation of the end result I'm going for...

Garey

Comment

Working...
                                X