Yoshi's build thread S52 on 1 bar... kinda

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • shiboujin
    replied
    Sooo good and bad today. Good is I got most of the last things buttoned up. Enough that I was willing to see if the car would start. Bad is that the car didn't start. I did get a few "coughs" though. Batt voltage was about 8 cranking so that might be a contributing factor.



    Need to fix the over spray. The oil cooler cap is off until I can get the motor running. Just one less thing I want to worry about right meow.


    Tried the valve cover cover on for giggles. It hits EVERYTHING. I bet it would catch fire.


    The only visible ugly wiring is here. I'm gonna make a gromet for it and maybe something to cover up the ground wires.


    Much better without the cover. Still needs to be cleaned and such.

    The list of stuff to do:
    finish down pipe (again)
    Make wastegate dump pipe
    install cone filter of justice
    ground straps and brackets for the coils
    The rest of the valve cover bolts
    Get more coolant (2 jugs and still has room)
    figure out why the LC1 isn't powering up
    Start the damn thing.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    Fumbled around with a few things today. Still have much to button up but things are coming along. Just a matter of time from this point.


    So first shot is the car finally on the ground. Note the curve of the drive way and the suspension hasn't settled to the rear will get lower. Might raise the front however.



    Dirty. Still need that front window.



    quarter damage and was trying to show the cracking but I guess this thing looks much better in pictures.



    Kinda scary lookin but it's ok! It's getting there.





    So this is my only pain in the neck. The oil return (-10AN) is KINDA kinked from over rotation. But it also almost contacts both the compressor and the manifold. Neither of which I can really fix at this point as:
    A) i can't redo the manifold
    B) the frame rail is in the way of anything to do with relocating the return
    C) the compressor can rotate some but then it would hit the valve cover.

    Also the oil return is such a pita to get to, you have to take the compressor side off and the turbo off in order to get to the bolts. yay. I wanted easier :(

    Things left to do:
    Find the last compressor housing bolt I dropped into the frame rail (swear I'm gonna plug those holes one day)
    intake manifold and everything under it need to be finalized
    Figure out the rpm issue
    fab down pipe and exhaust
    Eat pie

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    Turbo is finally bolted on for good. The oil return was a biatch to get on. Lost a freaking compressor housing bolt in my frame rail in a spot I'm not sure I'll ever get it back. I finally managed to get a cam sensor signal. But for some reason, I'm not getting an rpm signal on the MS. Meaning my settings are wrong. Sooo back to the manuals to figure that one out.

    Things left:
    charge piping
    Finalize cam wiring
    finalize intake mani and all associated things
    put wheels on rear end
    Fab down pipe
    Fab hydro ebrake handle again?
    Start motor?

    Anyone know where I can get a 4 inch mushroom filter?

    Leave a comment:


  • dirty30
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    sweet thanks man. Any pix/tips on the build process?
    Super easy, push the piston in with something, remove snap ring, slowly release tension on spring then remove guts. Reverse that for install. I put my pump body in a parts washer and let the solvent run through the orifices for a while.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    sweet thanks man. Any pix/tips on the build process?

    Leave a comment:


  • dirty30
    replied
    lock ring 07119934625
    spacer 11411722836
    o-ring 11411722837
    spring 11411706809
    control valve 11411719937

    I was hesitant at first to rebuild the guts of this old pump considering it was going in a $4000 S52 but it builds pressure like new.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    no not really. I'm probably going to run this pump for about a month before upgrading to the vac motorsports super shaft thingy. I'll probably do those things then. Got a link to the parts?

    Leave a comment:


  • dirty30
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    I never updated this. New pump and pulling plugs or whatever else I did managed to get me oil pressure. So I'm happy. Had some issue with the cam VR sensor. Turns out NV M50 use a VR sensor while M50s use Hall but M52s/S52s use some random bmw specific one. Thankfully, I have a BMW VR sensor. Meaning, I probably just wired it wrong.

    Last of the turbo bits should show up today. I'll finalize the turbo placement and such. I should be able to get the car ready to start soon. Bring on the megasquirt pain!
    Did you rebuild the relief valve portion of the pump too? I just did the same thing on my S52 but also did the relief valve orings, spring, piston etc. and it builds perfect oil pressure.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I never updated this. New pump and pulling plugs or whatever else I did managed to get me oil pressure. So I'm happy. Had some issue with the cam VR sensor. Turns out NV M50 use a VR sensor while M50s use Hall but M52s/S52s use some random bmw specific one. Thankfully, I have a BMW VR sensor. Meaning, I probably just wired it wrong.

    Last of the turbo bits should show up today. I'll finalize the turbo placement and such. I should be able to get the car ready to start soon. Bring on the megasquirt pain!

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    Clip;s for ya:



    Had some issues getting oil pressure. Suspected the pump so I pulled it out today.

    ok so I ripped apart the old oil pump and this is what I see:


    Top is the old one, bottom one is one of my spares that I found lying around. Def less oil wear


    def very oil stained


    This is the new oil pump. Still freshly machined


    Old oil pump. very stained. Can't really tell much from the picture


    old


    new

    The big thing was that the old one had lots of scoring you can kind of see in the second picture. It was definitely making a grinding sound when turned by hand. The new one was pretty smooth.

    Both pumps did pump oil though. The newer one looks good and the old one kinda does too. the scoring didn't leave me with much confidence. To prime the oil pump, I put the pickup tube into a cut open oil quart bottle with fresh clean oil in it. I pumped it by hand until oil came out. The oil didn't drain back down so at least it has some oil in it already. Like that, I bolted it back into the engine and reassembled everything.

    Some notes as to other reasons why I might not have gotten pressure. Maybe because my car is leaning back, the oil didn't get fully to the pump? I also didn't take out my spark plugs so the engine didn't spin as fast as it could. I'm very confident this new pump will work for now. Gonna yank plugs and tilt the car forward next time I try this.

    Other advice and thoughts welcome. Sarli did mention a new sprocket for the oil pump that has a significantly smaller chance of sheering like the stock ones are known to. I def want to do it. But not right now... I'll do it after it's tuned. I'm mega strapped for cash right meow.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwiftE30
    replied
    true about the dump pipe, but my friends 87 supra has one and i hate when he goes WOT all you can here is his dump pipe. It takes away from engine sound and muffler. And he has the HKS superdragger which sounds great.

    I'm really not too worried about how loud it will be, obviously nothing retarted, just something that has a nice tone and doesnt rasp out when accelerating. I'm leaning towards Vibrant right now. A brullen if i could find one, jeez!

    do you have any sound clips of the setup on your previous car?

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I forget. Some decent magnaflows though. I was running a recirc. Even a dump pipe should be fine at idle since it's closed.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwiftE30
    replied
    hmm thats suprising. what mufflers? after hearing this from you I'm thinkin about adding a resonator in there.

    oh and was your previous setup with a dump pipe or a recirc pipe on your wastegate? IMO a dump pipe is loud and obnoxious.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I had 1 muffler for a while. Even with the turbo it was still hella loud. I tossed on another one and it barely did anything.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwiftE30
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    You can run any motor without an ICV. not sure if stock ECUs would like it though. Since I'm full standalone, I can do basically anything within reason.

    I already have an exhaust from the last setup. 3 inch SS with 2 magnaflow mufflers and a hi flow cat. Pretty much straight back. It's enough that you can hold a convo around the car at idle.
    hmm. my next project, other than exhaust setup is building my megasquirt system. Planning on going with megasquirt 3 w/ MSX3 for sull sequential, so i guess getting rid of my ICV at that point would be sweet. and yeah im assumign the stock 413 red label wouldnt like not having an ICV. My first ICV was completely stuck when i first started the car and it just completely flood the engine and kill it after about a minute of running.

    How come you are going with two mufflers when you are running a turbo? Just because you already have it fabbed up? I figured the turbo acts as a muffler so only a highflow cat and single muffler would work fine and still be able to "hold a convo around the car at idle." haha. never heard someone refer to exhaust like that. nice one.

    Leave a comment:

Working...