No announcement yet.

Andrew's 1989 325i Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the lever had cracked off, and it is riveted on, so I cant fix that. SO I clean up the mechanism assembly on my parts seat, and swap the whole thing over. All is working, until I put it on and figure out that there is something broken under the seat's vinyl.

The pin welded onto the seats base/springs (not the track), ALL the welds had cracked, the pin was just floating around. SO basically I had a seat that reclined on one side, but the other wasnt connected to the lever.

So with my Mom's help, we pulled off the vinyl and separated each seats (mine and parts seat) from its track, then took off foam too and cleaned each thing up.

Then we swapped over the parts seat's springs to my seat's foam and vinyl and re installed. It all worked and my lever operates both sides now.

Only problem is that the one strut thing I installed is blown, (I thought it was fine, I wasnt sure what pressure it should of had to compress), so when you recline... the seat doesnt come back on its own. Easy fix, because the other two I didnt use are very hard to compress

Comment

Quick update..

Yesterday, I took the car down the street to the grocery store, and bought some baking soda. I poored half the box into the expansion tank and took a 15 minute drive, pushing the car kind of hard.

Come home, jack it up and remove the stock skidplate thing, then empty the coolant out of the radiator, and the block... fun. To my surprise, most of the baking soda stayed in the expansion tank, in the corner, so I I filled the car back up with water and took a spin, again pushing the car fairly hard. Come home, empty that out of the radiator and block.

Then I lowered the car and mixed a gallon of BMW antifreeze/coolant, and a gallon of distilled water. I started to fill the expansion tank, and ran out. Interesting. So I grabbed another gallon of distilled water and topped it off. I do the whole bleed thing to while I am filling, and then start the car. I go off and let it idle in the garage for 8 minutes or so (door open of course), then open the bleeder valve. It goes all good. Yay proper coolant in my car now.

Today, I washed the disgusting skidplate. What a load of grease! Install that thing, then I get to work mounting my volvo lip. It mounted good, and I pulled the sides in a bit... though I still need to trim them up. Also, I discovered my valence has some damage, though it is minor.

Only problem with install is that the sides line up great, etc. JUST THE CENTER IS OFF by an inch! How annoying. Pics later. Bye

Comment

in for some pics

Comment

Andrew - It was good to meet you at the picnic (and your Mom too). Looks like you have a nice start on your project! Post up some additional pics of your work on the car!
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Thanks, man.

Im mounting my euro plate tomorrow I believe.. best pic ever right here

Like I said volvo lip has been mounted, though mine is like factory defective... its weird. Also coolant has been changed, and seats been fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
              Thanks, man.

Im mounting my euro plate tomorrow I believe.. best pic ever right here

Like I said volvo lip has been mounted, though mine is like factory defective... its weird. Also coolant has been changed, and seats been fixed!
              Damn hipster.

:giggle:
              From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
              Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

Euro plate mounted! Not sure if I want to run a state plate or not. The only real way to mount it would be about 5 inches off the ground, and that isnt very good at all.

If I dont run it however, I will def. be keeping it in the glovebox

And nah Im no hipster

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                  Euro plate mounted! Not sure if I want to run a state plate or not. The only real way to mount it would be about 5 inches off the ground, and that isnt very good at all.

If I dont run it however, I will def. be keeping it in the glovebox

And nah Im no hipster
                  You tell yourself that now, but pretty soon you'll be wearing skinny jeans and hanging in coffee shops every morning.

Just you wait.

loljk. :D
                  From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
                  Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

My jeans arent so tight, but I do like them straight leg and and not super baggy.

My euro plate though is win

Comment

congrats on getting an e30!
                      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Well Im sold on Akebono pads.. just I want to know how much longer I can drive my car before it needs brakes done. I want to get a new deck in it beforehand... but that isnt very important

Stopping > Music

Argh

Comment

Taking pics tomorrow. Today i gotta clean house... BAD

Pops is on the "warpath"

Comment

So long awaited pics of seat repair...

The infamous mechanism... this one is the one from m parts seat I put onto my seat. Notice how the lever is attached? lol

These pop on things from Lowes worked great. .88 for two I believe

I then found out trying to re-assemble that this had happened. Not my fault, I swear

My "knuckle" had broken off. Better pic

So vinyl comes off...

And gas is used to clean. I had already used it on the mechanism.

Parts seat base

Getting re-assembled

My friend had come over, he has the shades on. lol
                              Brother sitting next to him

Comment

So spark plugs changed. Made a beginner mistake.. forgot to take the screw on caps off of the NGK plugs. By the way.. 2.29 a plug from Oreilly for NGK's. Cheap and good. Make fun of me here - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=216338

Pics of Spark Plug Change

Gapping plugs. Most were .35 or so! Not good!

6 properly gapped plugs! Yay!

Covers come off...

And plugs get loosened

Extension to do the rest

Half way there!

(didn't take pics of the rest...)

All the plugs... they are BEAT

Close ups

Re-install with anti-seize

I forgot to take these caps off :(

Enjoy, I guess. Like the sig?

Comment