Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years - 1991 325ix, Stroker/5-Speed (N52 swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arg, so it turns out the other CV shaft I put in is actually worse than the one I took out. I might have been wrong about the old CV shaft popping anyway. This one clunks in a straight line at low speeds. the other one only appeared to do it on sharp left turns. I'm going to have to swap them back. I don't really want to buy a new one since I have two already and I won't need them for too much longer anyway..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Bearings?

Cv joints, maybe, but I can't see what it has to do with bearings.

Or did he mean strut bearings? I can see if you're bottoming out, but you shouldn't be. I can easily be 50-60mm lower without any issues.

I don't get it.

Wheel bearings he said. Have heard several different warnings from the same number of people, but GC said the only issue would be bearings if lowered to mutch.
      He said the shaft will get a angle that will make pressure on the bearings at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kvasi View Post
        Wheel bearings he said. Have heard several different warnings from the same number of people, but GC said the only issue would be bearings if lowered to mutch.
        He said the shaft will get a angle that will make pressure on the bearings at some point.
        that makes no sense to me. I never had issues with wheel bearings - mine had 250,000 miles and I only replaced them because I was swapping housings. the originals are still fine. :|
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I dont know, but thats what he said. Guess i trust your experience more in the end..
          Another story ive heard, from a dude i know who had a low IX some years ago, is that his front diff turned into scrap cause the driveshaft banged into it.
          I choose to belive the reason was him popping clutch on tarmac..

Comment

Yeah, you can't just bang a driveshaft into it.. not sure how that happens. those little spider gears inside the carrier are pretty wimpy though.

anyway, the best I can figure is at some point you get too low, the CV joints can't turn right anymore, and they start to bind maybe putting pressure on the bearings? but you're going to waste your CV shafts pretty fast like that anyway.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Worn out wheel bearings? How's this? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349903305.369561.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	7147615 stock suspension though. Estimated 300-350k miles.

I agree with nando though. I don't see how lowering the car will kill the bearing. The cv joint, yeah sure...
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                heh, learn from my mistakes - build a 3.1 liter, or go home. :p
                which crank would you use? I have a lazyboy 2.7i (stock eta bottom with 885 head) and I plan on going with MS, then eventually build a proper 3.0L+ I like the 2.8, but figure if you are going to build it go big or go home right!?
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Amazing car.... I miss it back up there.... :( Damn you Navy....

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                    which crank would you use? I have a lazyboy 2.7i (stock eta bottom with 885 head) and I plan on going with MS, then eventually build a proper 3.0L+ I like the 2.8, but figure if you are going to build it go big or go home right!?
                    S52b32. I could have paid another $300-$500 for a crank and had a 3.1l build instead of a 2.8.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

also realized I never posted my new winter wheels. they started out like this:

for $100 they weren't a bad deal. The rash was pretty bad and the finish was shot, but I hate bottlecaps so much. they just make the E30 look like a pile of shit.

$500 for refinishing, and now they look like this:

I added13mm spacers from 8380 labs so I could run centercaps over my 75mm bullnosed studs. The centercaps will keep crud off my lug nuts and brand new hubs...

blurry cell phone shot:

I'd take better pics but seeing how it's winter, the car is always dirty anyway, even though I just washed it last week. They've got a new set of 195/65-15 Blizzak WS70's on them.

I still hate washing BBS wheels, but at least when you're done, they look pretty damn good. The bottlecaps however, were just as much of a pain to clean, and they were still ugly as shit when you were done so there's no point anyway. I sold them to some girl with a Kia for $100.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Where did you have them refinished at?

Comment

Your car looks so god damn awesome.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

God, this makes me want an ix over a vert soooooo bad!

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              Worn out wheel bearings? How's this? [ATTACH]61169[/ATTACH] stock suspension though. Estimated 300-350k miles.

I agree with nando though. I don't see how lowering the car will kill the bearing. The cv joint, yeah sure...
                              My right rear wheel hub looks like this as well. Wheel bearing went south and this is what I found. Mine is super high mileage as well though. ~500 something thousand
                              Old and improved:

Comment

Glad to help out this progression. The car looks great as always, and your attention to detail is something that hits home with me.

I converted the new sedan to my coils, without the valving you got from Bilstien and feel your pain with the kids in the car and daily driving. BUT, at the same time, the car performed flawlessly at Homestead's road course this weekend, minus the little bit of push/scrubbing that I got on the RWD using stock sways and street 205/50 BFG G-Sport tires.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X