Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years - 1991 325ix, Stroker/5-Speed (N52 swap?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wonderful. after reading through all this I am curious why you never deleted your PS? Especially if you are driving a lot of autox.

Regardless, I love everything about this thread. Thanks for all the useful information, I will take that to my IX now.

Comment

because the ix with wide sticky tires and no PS sucks. especially for autox. it's like 5lbs of weight - simply not worth it.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        because the ix with wide sticky tires and no PS sucks. especially for autox. it's like 5lbs of weight - simply not worth it.
        So not Fuh Raze.
        Poseur.
        Below the radar...

Comment

PS isn't as bad as people think. You actually get more feedback, it's just lighter.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ix steering is already a lot heavier than a RWD E30 anyway, it feels a lot more normal (just slow, like all stock E30s). If I get to swapping in that E46 rack, it should be pretty nice!
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              ix steering is already a lot heavier than a RWD E30 anyway, it feels a lot more normal (just slow, like all stock E30s). When I get to swapping in that E46 rack, it should be pretty nice!
              *Fixed*
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

hah. actually, the N52 will make it easier - since I'm planning on supporting the engine on the frame of the car itself, I won't have to deal with the engine mounts being in the way of the E46 rack. I already know how to make the tie rods work - E46 rods need slightly shortened, and ForcedFirebird said he could ream out the strut housings to fit the larger ball joints.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Happy belated birthday, and saw the email, sounds like we need to talk :)
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Will probably be a couple weeks before i pull the head, but definitely :-)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've been planning on removing the PS system just to eliminate any hassle associated with it. Is it that hard to turn it without the PS?

Comment

Mine had the PS belt removed when I bought it. PO said it started leaking a few months before so he removed the belt.

It definitely wasn't fun, but maybe it wouldn't be terrible if the fluid was drained from the rack itself?

On a side note, the steering knuckle had killed itself, so there was ~20degrees of play in the steering wheel. While trying to find a replacement, I found a couple of threads about the same issue. I don't know if the iX knuckle stands up to the lack of assist as well as the RWD ones.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

valvetronic is sick. sub'd

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                          Ig:ryno_pzk
                          I like the tuna here.
                          Originally posted by lambo
                          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Just for fun...

the holy grail for me, always has been and always will be, the E46 M3 CSL carbon airbox. glad I was able to pick this up for mock up - it would be relatively simple to adapt to the N52, but it would probably be too long - I'm not sure it would clear my brake booster. I also think the trumpets are about 3" too long (the N52 head is deceptive, since it has no throttles the ports on the head are significantly longer than a "normal" head - probably 4-5" longer).

The trumpets are pretty huge - but they taper it down to ~49mm. I had been planning 48mm trumpets. Wondering if I should go a little smaller to keep up the velocity. 48mm just seemed to line up better with the transition to the oval ports.

One thing this does illustrate is a problem that I realized when thinking of my custom trumpets with the ITG filter setup - the oil filter housing is seriously in the way. I can make something that clears it, but then I lose brake booster clearance.. I think it's doable just a little more difficult.

Also going to look a bit at the clearance inside the airbox - there was some discussion on whether it was a good idea to notch the airbox around cylinder 6 so the stock booster would clear. I'm going to have to say, that looks like a pretty bad idea - it's already tight back there. there are minimum clearances you want around an air horn, and the stock M3 box looks like it's pretty much at minimum already..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What about using the sikky hydro booster setup that everyone is using with their ls swaps these days?

Comment

yeah, I've looked at all of that and I don't really like any of the solutions. the 3 MC Tilton setups are nice, but $$$$. Hydroboost is a bunch of extra weight and complication. One of the reasons I settled on a custom intake (aside from not really needing any throttle on the N52), is because I should be able to make it clear the stock booster. I still want to do a BBK down the line, but I really don't think I want to sacrifice the brakes. Eventually I will do a BBK, but I still want to retain the stock booster as much as possible.

I think it would be easier in the end, to custom make a filter housing relocation plate - it would basically be a flat piece of aluminum with the gasket profile machined in and ports for a standard filter housing. of course, I much prefer a stock BMW filter housing, it's just much easier to change the oil with. I think I will do my best to make everything fit within the packaging constraints that I have. I think it will most likely mean I will need a different ix strut bar too.

The S54 plenum was really just an idea - it does give me a good feel for the fitment of what I have planned though. I don't think the S54 housing will be worth it, realistically even with a custom plenum and the ITG filter housing, it will still cost less than a used 3 stage N52 manifold and new DISA valves (which I'm almost certain will not fit regardless). For what I would have to do to make the S54 plenum work, it would be both more complicated and expensive.

also down the line, the stage 2 plan is to include the E46 MK60 DSC unit, sensors, etc. Should be a big upgrade over even the IX ABS - but it requires some work to the MC, since it needs pressure sensors and a bunch of other stuff.
                                Last edited by nando; 01-30-2016, 03:55 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X