the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
    Or you can cut small-ish holes in the floor for the bottom of the hoop legs to slide through making the top of the hoop accessible, and then slide slightly thicker base plates under the bottom of the legs and weld them to the floor as well as the bottom of the hoop legs.
    Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but that will be hard if he is welding the rear down tubes in. Nothing worse than having to cut welds
    Track Car Build:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=365614

Comment

+1 on the BKR6Es and the BKR7Es for boost, excellent plugs and cheap

although looking at realoem, turner and ECS you come up with some different results

Realoem for 328i:
      BOSCH FGR7DQP
      NGK BKR6EQUP

Realoem m3 s52:
      BOSCH FGR 8 KQC

Turner for M3:
      BOSCH F7LDCR
      NGK BKR6EK

ECS for M3:
      NGK BKR6EIX
      BOSCH FR7LDC+
      GENUINE BMW (BOSCH FGR 8 KQC)
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        any more pictures of the grey car with the orange city lights? Pretty cool idea.

Comment

Thanks for the list Charlie, interesting that everyone seems to have something different. It looks like the plugs in there were in fact correct, according to realoem. I think I will use the S52 plugs since they dont appear to be platinum, hopefully they are also not +4, but they might be. Im interpreting the "Q" to be quad so we'll see... If they are, I will probably look at getting the BKR6EK and trying those out

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          any more pictures of the grey car with the orange city lights? Pretty cool idea.
          thats Charlies BRONZIT! car (Sh3pak!ng), look one post up for his build thread
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Do you have any pics on the car on the ground with spacer on? Must look nice! I really like flush fitment with properly sized tire!

Also good score on the rear cage. I would also like to get a roll bar at some point ... one bad thing is that it is illegal here to weld a roll bar. Must be bolted...
            E30 now S52
            2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
            325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
              Do you have any pics on the car on the ground with spacer on? Must look nice! I really like flush fitment with properly sized tire!

Also good score on the rear cage. I would also like to get a roll bar at some point ... one bad thing is that it is illegal here to weld a roll bar. Must be bolted...
              I can take pics, but I need you to be more specific. Side profile, front shot, top down...?

Im very excited about the roll bar also, though lately I think I would make my life a lot easier by bolting it in. Problem is that I dont like the potential of the consequences in an accident. I would much rather have it welded in. I saw this on crzy azn 2002 race car and loved it.

Last edited by 2mAn; 10-20-2016, 09:11 AM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Bolted joints can be as strong as welded tubes if done properly, but welding is easier...

No any particular requirement on pics... just wanted to see how your e30 looks with more flush fitment!
                E30 now S52
                2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
                  Bolted joints can be as strong as welded tubes if done properly, but welding is easier...

No any particular requirement on pics... just wanted to see how your e30 looks with more flush fitment!
                  I hear ya on the bolting VS welding, we'll see how it all goes down here soon. Unfortunately I wont have much free time at all this weekend, BUT if all goes well selling all these 944 parts Im trying to clear out, I will have some cash to play with and I will probably get a bunch of little things done in the following week.

Theres a HPDE at the Streets of Willow Springs on Nov 12/ 13 that Im hoping to make it out to, so I have a small laundry list of things to get done between now and then. We'll see how it all works out.

BTW I already had spacers so it wont really look much different
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Im very excited about the roll bar also, though lately I think I would make my life a lot easier by bolting it in. Problem is that I dont like the potential of the consequences in an accident. I would much rather have it welded in. I saw this on crzy azn 2002 race car and loved it.
                    bolt in cages usually have tiny spreader plates that attach to the wheel wells, which are not structural metal. the ones in that pic have medium spreader plates and what looks like some degree of mount boxes under them, but they're still not going to something structural like a frame rail.

not shitting on the craftsmanship, that car is clean and the cage looks nice and well-built, it's just likely to punch through the wheel wells if it gets used. if you end up going to the wheel wells, get massive spreader plates, like 8" square would do. better yet, go through the rear bulkhead to the trunk floor where the rear frame rails are.

just something to keep in mind regarding cage design..
                    cars beep boop

Comment

This is exactly why I want to have it welded in now and just deal with the potential headache down the road. Who knows how serious this car will ever get and I have always felt like bolt-in cages have compromises. Im not a cage builder so Ive been trying to read up as much as I can.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

This is exactly why I want to have it welded in now and just deal with the potential headache down the road. Who knows how serious this car will ever get and I have always felt like bolt-in cages have compromises. Im not a cage builder so Ive been trying to read up as much as I can.
                        Everyone is a cage builder if you believe in yourself.

Listen to Kronus. He might be a programmer, but his fingernails are greasier than both of ours.
                        world renown Harry Potter expert
                        sigpic

Comment

So today was a painful day for me. I have been unloading my 944S stuff that I bought this past December. I have had the stuff posted on Pelican for a few months now, craigslist and tried to convince anyone I knew to buy the parts. Then I noticed there was a Porsche Only swap meet today and it was rumored to have lots of 944 owners and potential buyers. Being that I have to be out of my garage at the end of this month, I rented a truck and hauled all my shit to Escondido leaving LA at 6am. I had no plans of bringing the parts back and had dreams of using the money from todays sales to finish the roll bar, buy a 6 point harness, some Konis, etc. Sadly, it was overcast and there was only a few people interested with nobody making any offers. I was able to convince a 944 shop owner in San Diego to pay the lowball price a flake had offered me over the internet and in the end Im going to end up losing a grand. To make matters worse, when I went to BUY these parts was when my friend crashed my car, so these 944 parts left a very foul taste in my mouth.

To make myself feel better Im going to try and take the E30 to the Streets of Willow on Nov 12 for day one of a weekend long HPDE that the Alfa Club is putting on. This is the same Alfa club that denied my previous attempt to track the E30 because my car didnt have a 5point harness. Not likely that I will have this harness again, but Ive heard through the grapevine that my bitching made its way up the ranks and they removed the rule. silver lining?...
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 10-23-2016, 07:45 PM.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

those parts were cursed :/

at least you're rid of them!
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              those parts were cursed :/

at least you're rid of them!
                              seriously that is the ONLY good thing that came out of all of this... I no longer have them anymore. My only anchors now are much more mobile. It took 3 of us to lift that damn 4 cylinder motor to put it in the truck.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Ok, moving along I had some free time today and I really wanted to get the roll bar IN the car. Im not really ready to install it but I wanted to see what I am working with. Also decided I didnt really like how the seat mount was sitting so I took this opportunity to rotate the garagistic floor mount towards the inside of the floor studs. Kinda hard to explain, but basically the Momo seat mounts were angled in pretty hard and it was a bitch to mount the seat, Luckily moving inside made it a LOT easier. Glad I got that figured out. I also spent some time cleaning up the stereo wiring, removing the amp and wires that went all the way to the trunk. Amp weighed 10lbs so that was a nice deduction.

After I threw the rollbar in, I knew right away that the passenger side seat belt was going to have to come out as its in the way. Since there would never be a passenger in the car using the regular shoulder belt, that came out immediately. Once that was out, the bar went right into the corner area and theres a little gap from the headliner. I know, I know, I should rip that headliner out and kill the sunroof too, but this car is still technically a street car so it stays. Overall, pretty happy with everything except that the rear bars go to the wheel arch, but welding them in and having enough space for a small plinth box in the back will make the best of that situation.

Ok, some pics for you...

rollbar_mockup1 by 2mAn

I weighed the bar too and it came in at about 55lbs

love how it looks, cant wait to have it welded in.

rollbar_preview2 by 2mAn

rollbar_preview3 by 2mAn
                                Last edited by 2mAn; 07-29-2017, 11:47 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X