No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well... not the results anyone wants to see. Failed again, and it was actually worse this time. I drove the car hard on the way, but arrived early and decided I would leave the car running while I waited. Idled for probably 15-20 minutes before he finally started the test. I'll let the pics tell the rest.

Waiting

And rolling

Heres a scanned copy of my December results

and heres the scanned copy of todays results. Only change was the chip. Looks like Im going to need to change the cat, but that means Im also going to have the supersprint muffler installed also. #silverlining

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bummer! Hang in there Simon. The cat should make a YUGE difference. You'll get there!

Comment

I don't know much about smog testing equipment but it's really strange to me how much the numbers change between 15/25 mph. The mandated amount is basically the same, but what comes out the tailpipe can be 10-20 times different by switching between the two speeds? Worries me cause mine shoot out near nothing like yours did on a few tests, but maybe just a little random thing can shoot it way over the max.

Hope the new cat gets you through!

Comment

bummer about the smogging brotha.

On the other hand, your car looks fantastic. That rear valance/muffler you got going on gives me a good amount of chub.
          -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
          91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
          08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
          04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
          Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
          Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Man that sucks, I almost feel bad complaining about state inspections now.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

How are your cats? Sorry if I missed this earlier, but since you're running a mostly-stock motor it should pass, right?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                How are your cats? Sorry if I missed this earlier, but since you're running a mostly-stock motor it should pass, right?
                The S50 cats that are on the car now are estimated to be at 150k based off the mileage Ive added to them since i bought them. Im contemplating buying the magnaflow CA legal cats (which Ive read only last until the next time they need to be tested) and buying another set of S50 cats which are estimated to be at 60k. I would think the OEM cats are made to last much longer than an aftermarket cat, so Im leaning that way.

Im more excited about the fact that I will also have the supersprint muffler installed at the same time as the new cats
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Bummer. Ryan used Walker cats and passed with flying unicorn farts when he went through BAR. This was after failing with Mangaflow(?) cats.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Ive been researching and I like the Walker cats better because its two single converters and I remember digger playing with placement of the cats on his car and it looks like offsetting them made the most power, so Im thinking about doing the same. In addition to that, they have a 5 year 50k mile warranty, which should cover me for two more smog checks

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    EXHAUST

Did some exhaust mods a few years back, everything I did went backwards and by a lot….lol

The engine seems really sensitive to the exhaust. Perhaps the exhaust side of the head is not working well (MM hardly do anything to the exhaust side for their head, cam etc due to emission reasons) or perhaps that it is overcammed and the ‘right’ exhaust helps counter some of the side effects/problems ….

Run 1 to run 2 was a catalytic converter change out where the new cats were moved closer and side by side as opposed to staggered
                    Run1

Run 2

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Fresh cats will make all the difference you need. Aside from the cost of the cats and installation, passing your next SMOG test should be a cakewalk.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I failed with new Catco cats, installed by Castro's at the time.

Turns out the manufacture recalled all cats and my defective ones were part of the recall. I ended up going with the more expensive Walker cats, but they worked as intended and made everything pretty again.

I even made a thread on it. Here, I dug it up just for you: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=264592
                        world renown Harry Potter expert
                        sigpic

Comment

sup Simon. Letting the car idle for 15-20 minutes let the stock cats you have cool way down. If possible for next time you need to make an appointment drive it really hard and drive right on to the rollers and perform the smog test.

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                            I failed with new Catco cats, installed by Castro's at the time.

Turns out the manufacture recalled all cats and my defective ones were part of the recall. I ended up going with the more expensive Walker cats, but they worked as intended and made everything pretty again.

I even made a thread on it. Here, I dug it up just for you: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=264592
                            Thanks for doing that!

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                            sup Simon. Letting the car idle for 15-20 minutes let the stock cats you have cool way down. If possible for next time you need to make an appointment drive it really hard and drive right on to the rollers and perform the smog test.
                            Hey Alex, I knew letting it sit for so long wasnt good. I tried to time it so that the car wouldnt be sitting for so long, but I always seem to have to wait with him. I think Im still going to pick up the lower mileage cat from the forum member and swap that in and see what happens.

If that doesnt work he said I wouldnt have to pay him for it, so I would just be out the cost to install it and though I can do most of it myself at this point I just want it done.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Do they charge you if it doesn't pass? If not, just keep going back until you get in a slot where you don't have to wait/idle.

Comment

They dont charge, but the referee station is only open during the week and each time I go, Im losing at least an hour of work so its hard to keep scheduling appts, though my last appt was at 8am and I thought I got the first slot, but someone else was already there so I need to try and get a 7:30am slot or something.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X