No announcement yet.

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've had quite an eventful 24 hours! Got off work a little early Friday to catch an Amtrak to go 200 miles north to pick up my car and then drive it 80 miles back south

Helped me buddy Bryce put it back together. Was looking damn good now!

While doing that we started talking about my battery tie down that I made a few years back. Wasn't quite up to snuff anymore so we decided to make a new version. Somehow I forgot to take the finished pic but we welded a stud and made a wider bracket to hold it down

Once that was done I drove down to Buttonwillow to meet up with my brother and my buddy. Next morning the cars were ready and so were we

Ready to go!

Game face on

Was averaging 2:2Xs in the early sessions but my brother was just a few seconds behind with his 16v 190 so I stepped it up in the final session and ended up with the best time of the 3 cars barely edging out the mustangs 2:14 with a 2:13.

Final score, E30=1, 190=0

Loving this car more each day. I'll be painting the bottom of the rear valence like the OEM bottom is, the paint was too fresh to do it the other night. Part of me wants to leave it white and get some IS skirts or something and painting those white also

On a side note, I met this guy named Ed Gilbert and got to ride in his 2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S. Damn thing is a rocket!

As the day winded to a close, a dashing looking young man started talking to me and how he also has a E30 with just a regular M50and we come to find out that it's none other than Nasty Nate aka Wheeeee30

Small world! I plan to be in NorCal in June to drive Laguna Seca, maybe he'll be out there. We'll see!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looks like a fun day! How do you like the racequip helmet?

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
        Looks like a fun day! How do you like the racequip helmet?

It's so much fun pushing this car. It has so much potential. The more I push it, the higher I'm finding it's limits are.

It's a great starter helmet. It will serve me good for the next 5years when I should be able to upgrade to a lighter one.
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Is that the base model one that's like $120? How heavy is it? All their helmets get great reviews, so I was looking at their ~$200 pro15 helmets. A little cheaper than the lower models from arai or bell, and looks rather plain and mild, which is what I want (there are some wild helmets). I have a bell open-faced right now, but I bought it in like 2006 and I've just been lucky no one cares about the date on it so far haha

Comment

I think it was around $200, It's good until 2020 I think. Not sure on exact weight. Not terribly heavy but I don't think it takes much .

I added the black visor because I wear glasses and my sunglasses don't fit in there, but my regular ones do. Plus it looks more menacing haha
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I've wanted an action shot and found one a liked.

(Not sure how big this will be)
              Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 08:34 AM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Had a chance to get something I wanted to finish before the last track day. Too much to try and get done so I had to pick and I figured I would take advantage of getting my buddies help and leave this project for today.

I'm talking about the brake ducting and I figured while I was at it, I should also rotate the tires. The Dunlops have treadwear markers and the rears were down to 2 and the front still showed 3. That was easy enough, the ducting was a little more involved though. I'll let the pics do the rest.

Also snapped a pic of the skidplate doing its job. The sticker is appropriate haha

Last edited by 2mAn; 08-04-2022, 08:46 AM.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Nice! What brake ducting kit dit you used?
                  E30 now S52
                  2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                  325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
                    Nice! What brake ducting kit dit you used?
                    He's sponsored by Home Depot's gardening section.

I'm about to go down this path as well, but I'm stubborn to buy the heat-shield plates and want to make my own.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

I'm about to go down this path as well, but I'm stubborn to buy the heat-shield plates and want to make my own.
                      Heat shield fabrication party? I intend to make a set sometime as well.

Nice work simon, this is on my long to do list as well. Whats the next track day?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                        Heat shield fabrication party? I intend to make a set sometime as well.

Nice work simon, this is on my long to do list as well. Whats the next track day?

I'm game. Would be a breezy cruise to your new place by the beach.

Edit: And I won't have to get new tires yet either! LOL

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

Very good idea! I went with the AAF duct adapter... they are 3d printed... would have like to read this earlier! Anyway I'm in the process of fabricating heat shields. I will receive the parts from the laser cut next week .. I can provide drawings if it turn out well.

E30 now S52
                          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Sorry guys, I've been busy on vacation...

Well, technically I did just have another track day

I'm hoping to get to one track day in May because I'm going to get really busy in June
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Laguna seca?

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Nurburgring!
                                E30 now S52
                                325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X