Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Parker

a few more pics

I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Sorry for your loss man. The one extra weird reason I would get a vert would be for my dog as well. They tend to love the open space. Build is going fantastic as usual.

Comment

Harley my black Lab loved the red '90. He died of intestinal cancer in 2002. I miss him like it was yesterday.

Borden saw Max on my MacBook Air and wanted to play with him.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

man, losing a pet sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby. I know he lived the good life!
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Thanks Andre, and Javier, really appreciate it. Yeah he was spoiled rotten :-)

Thanks Parker for the sharing those wonderful pics of Harley and Borden. I know what you mean. We've had 5 goldens over the last 22+ years, down to our last now. She loves to sit in front of the TV and bark at horses whenever she sees them
            Last edited by bradnic; 10-01-2017, 11:28 AM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Was able to get some time on the car today, so I worked on prepping the mounting area for the top motor

turns out I didn't need to drill the hole for the motor sprocket - the hole was already present! there's a simple cover tacked over it in 3 places, so it was a simple thing to remove the cover.

I'll try to tack in the top motor reinforcement bracket tomorrow, at which point I can hook everything up, swap the tops and give her a go.
              Last edited by bradnic; 02-13-2022, 10:42 AM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

My new Strömung will need modification to work with my mtech1 rear apron :-(
                It works perfectly for mtech2, but not mtech1.

I'm in touch with Scott to see about getting more angled tips, and to use the same double wall setup as my straight version. Really hope this works as that exhaust is the best.

@tvance306 just tried trial fitting to his mtech1 car and the tips are clearly not angled enough. They don't exit straight like the standard strömung, but the angle just isn't sharp enough outboard to line up with the exhaust cutout on the mtech1 rear apron.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

top motor repairs needed

I have two top motors:

- one with a broken top cover in the usual place - it works fine, just needs the German top cover repair. was planning to keep it as a spare after I installed the repair kit. here's a side view.

note the arm on the left is almost at a right angle. The top of it bolts to the back rear side of the top compartment. It should be straight vertical. You can see the arm in mounted position here on @MPoser's vert (right side of the pic)

- The top cover on the second unit is intact and has the spin nut you need to attach the electric top pull rod to the motor. Note the same arm is bent more severely, inwards. If I tighten it down against the top compartment wall it will likely crack at the bend.

closer inspection shows there's also a cracked mounting boss on the top cover, which is why it looks bent in the photo above as well. Quite frankly I'm amazed the boss didn't just shear off completely

Not sure it can be repaired, so basically I'm stuck waiting for the German cover repair kit.

I'm gonna go ahead and get the reinforcement bracket welded, but I'm not going to risk the top motor mounts breaking off.

QUESTION: anyone have an idea how to safely bend the long lever straight? You can't just heat aluminum the way you heat steal can you? I always thought it was fairly brittle - you couldn't bend it very far before breaking

I can also try having someone aluminum weld the cracked boss.
                  Last edited by bradnic; 10-01-2017, 11:30 AM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

some interesting info
                    A customer brought me this antique bumper car grill to repair. I plan to mill a new center bar and weld it in place. I also want to repair the other bars which appear to be bent in use. I've always considered cast aluminum to be not bendable, but if I warm it up a bit, could I push them...

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I've had my alloy wheels straightened so there is definitely a technique (art form really). You are correct that it will take only so much.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Any update on getting more angled tips? I'm in on the next group buy and love the look of the angled tips, and yours don't really look angled. I also want double-walled.
                        drvn2wn

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                          My new Strömung will need modification to work with my mtech1 rear apron :-(
                          It works perfectly for mtech2, but not mtech1.

@tvance306 just tried trial fitting to his mtech1 car and the tips are clearly not angled enough. They don't exit straight like the standard strömung, but the angle just isn't sharp enough outboard to line up with the exhaust cutout on the mtech1 rear apron.
                          Originally posted by DRVN2WN View Post
                          Any update on getting more angled tips? I'm in on the next group buy and love the look of the angled tips, and yours don't really look angled. I also want double-walled.
                          @tvance306 and I have been working with Scott at Strömung. Tom will be trial fitting some new tip adapters next week once he has his car back from the interior shop.

Here's the classic Strömung currently on my vert. It has double tips which stick out straight from the back of the car, even though they look angled relative to the muffler

Here's the angled Strömung catback like the one Tom trial fitted with his Mtech1. It came with single wall tips. Tips look straight off the muffler, angled when mounted on the car. Unfortunately they're not angled enough.

These are the adapters Scott sent him. We're to cut off all but 2" of the angled tips and clamp these adapter over the remaining portion.

Note they are single wall, not double wall

Once Tom confirms the adapters work I'll try once again to get Scott to make double walled versions. I really don't want to lose those tips.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 01-28-2018, 11:07 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

@tvance306 modded his cat back and will be installing on his car soon.

here's the tips cut off

and the new slip on tips mounted. he hasn't tacked them in yet.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Tom just finished mocking up the modified mtech1 Strömung setup on his coupe.
                              Looks like it fits GREAT!

All I need now are double wall versions of those tips for my vert!
                              Last edited by bradnic; 12-14-2017, 10:03 PM.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Did you buy a silver coupe?
                                I bought a other e30 silver 1989 325i.
                                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X