butters 318i project, S54door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the engine pretty close to bare..

Then decided to install the Walbro fuel pump that had arrived..

Unplugged stock

Pulled the unit out..

I compared the pumps and was a little confused, because in the r3v writeup there is note of a difference in height and the need to yank off the perch and bend a new one. To me these pumps appear to be the same height, and the walbro fit into the spot just fine.

The rubber hose acts to push the pump down so I didn't use a hose clamp.

It's a tedious squeeze, but it's doable.

Last edited by butters; 10-07-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Here's how the thermostat housing currently looks, I've gone up to 320 grit which is the finest I've seen for a dremel. I think I need to hit it with at least 600, probably up to 1000 before I can use the dremel to polish it. Not sure it's worth the effort but I might do it anyway for practice. Sandpaper is sold in more quantity than I need.

While I'm shifting into cleaning mode, I decided I would pull off the throttles to clean them and replace the gaskets. They were pretty well fouled up:

This film was pretty nasty to deal with, even using the dremel brass brush with throttle body cleaner. But I'm satisfied with the results.

After hitting with the brush:

Nice and shiny after a little buffing with a shop towel:

View from the back shows that carbon buildup pretty well cleaned off:

Last edited by butters; 10-07-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The pics from post 87 on don't load for me :/
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          The pics from post 87 on don't load for me :/
          same here and its a shame because that looks like it was just about to get fun..

I will always remember this car losing to mine at the HPF Dyno Day in Oregon years ago when it still rocked the OEM steel wheels with the covers. I was a bit surprised on your dyno run. I still held down the bottom spot with 89whp that poor eta

The S54 will be quite the monster
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Damn, I'm trying out google photos and I think it must be a viewing rights issue. Photobucket's website is just so slow I can't deal with it anymore.

Comment

I switched to Flickr and rehosted all those images.

Oh and this arrived..

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the complete Beisan vanos package - seals, anti-rattle kit, solenoid, and oil pump disc.

Comment

Ahh, much better! I can see pictures now!

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I like those swaybar reinforcements on the newer AA subframes.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

If you look at the block above, you can kinda see that there was a fair amount of surface rust in some areas, causing the factory paint to flake away and look terrible. I'm the type to paint the block anyway, and I wanted to prep it using the dremel to get down to bare metal where there was rust. The solution was the grinding disc and stone attachments. A bit dusty, but it got the job done.

That was just partway through the process, as more areas of rust underneath the paint were uncovered as I went along. Eventually I felt it was ready for paint.

I used Dupli-Color's new engine enamel "with ceramic," and went for a bit brighter/lighter shade of blue. I was kinda thinking the lighter blue of the M stripes rather than the navy blue like I did with the S50.

After the first coat:

Final product:

Final piece of work for the weekend was the aluminum water pipe, which I hit with the dremel brass brush. I gave the exterior of the throttle bodies the same treatment. On the left is after, right is before:

Comment

I finally put some things back on the motor - the water pipe, knock sensors, throttle bodies, actuator, and o-rings for the crank and cam sensors. The oil filter housing was really gunked up, I'm still working on cleaning it.

Something shiny and new also came in the mail, thank you to Mishimoto for the hookup. I'm hoping for a little more peace of mind coming from the M42 radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
                          I finally put some things back on the motor - the water pipe, knock sensors, throttle bodies, actuator, and o-rings for the crank and cam sensors. The oil filter housing was really gunked up, I'm still working on cleaning it.

Something shiny and new also came in the mail, thank you to Mishimoto for the hookup. I'm hoping for a little more peace of mind coming from the M42 radiator.

I had really bad luck with Mishimoto and I have had friends that have too :( I went through 2 in a less than 4 year period. They started to leak at the rows on both sides. Hopefully you have a better experience.

Excited to watch your progress.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                          1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                          1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by craiggroves91 View Post
                            I had really bad luck with Mishimoto and I have had friends that have too :( I went through 2 in a less than 4 year period. They started to leak at the rows on both sides. Hopefully you have a better experience.
                            I hope so too! I have a used E36 factory radiator, I think I'll keep it on hand just in case.

Comment

I used a Mishimoto for almost 7 years with my S52 swapped 318is.

S52 was even supercharged for almost a year at one point. Car saw some intense driving at a couple of autocrosses and a couple of track days. Car was DD'ed during the Phoenix summer as well (over 110 degrees Fahrenheit too often) and I had no issues.

Never had an issue with it.

Just FYI.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                                I used a Mishimoto for almost 7 years with my S52 swapped 318is.

S52 was even supercharged for almost a year at one point. Car saw some intense driving at a couple of autocrosses and a couple of track days. Car was DD'ed during the Phoenix summer as well (over 110 degrees Fahrenheit too often) and I had no issues.

Never had an issue with it.

Just FYI.
                                Well I guess you got lucky and I/many others have gotten unlucky...
                                It also depends what model you had, I had the standard e36 mishimoto, not the xline. My friend went through 4 and he might have even had an xline.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                                1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                                1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                                1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Working...
                                X