88' Zinno M3 (Progress Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88' Zinno M3 (Progress Thread)

On December 2nd, after talking to the seller for about two weeks on the car in Texas, I took a chance and bought my 88’ M3 sight unseen (other than detailed pictures and videos of course). It was a long week, but 7 days later on December 9th, the car finally arrived. It went through the winter storm that covered a major portion of the US, so it came dirty.

The beginning of its journey

Loading it off the trailer…

Stopping at the gas station for gas, and trying to scrape the frost off the inside of the windows. It was cold.

The car drove fine on the way home, but I don’t think I hit 40 mph. I really was taking it easy as it was below zero and pretty icy.

And here's some pictures showing the condition of the car before I messed with it. For comparison. (Sorry for low res)

Here’s some more info on the car. It’s a 12/1987 build, Zinnoberrot on Natur. The s14 has just over 111,000 miles. It was just given a leak down test, and all cylinders were within 5% of each other. The valves were adjusted as well. There are plenty of little things that need to be fixed, and I’ll address everything as I fix it.
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 09-27-2016, 06:38 AM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Last week, it got up to a blistering 18 degrees here in Minnesota, and I attempted to go get the car washed. Well, it wouldn’t start. Turns out the POs kids left an interior light on and drained the battery before it shipped. So, I went and got a new duralast gold battery, and hooked it up to my battery tender. I am glad the car started when I picked it up, because I couldn’t even jump the old battery.

This weekend I had some free time so I decided to tear out the interior. I wish I had some better before and after pictures of some stuff but it was cold so part of me wanted to get it done. I will be more patient when it’s above freezing :)

Some things I notice are missing or broken…a clothing hook (idk how you’d hang anything from here but that’s what they are called)

Theres a little plastic cover that should cover these screws on the rear pop out window…

One of the interior lights was out. I figured hey, I got a bulb handy, I’ll just replace it…but the light was broken.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/FONT][/SIZE]

Who would smoke in a e30 m3…honestly.

Old, dried out, and torn ebrake boot. Center console was in surprisingly good condition. I had a new one I was going to put in, but this one is in good shape and matches better.

Cheap shift knob, cheap shift boot. And a lost speaker fader switch…that was plugged into nothing.

And a worn out cig lighter. I replaced it with a new blank cover for now, until I find a clean cig lighter. Not that Ill ever use it.

Oh and someone glued the check panel to the headliner cover. Who knows what goes through previous owners minds…but the excess glue rubbed off so it looks better now.

And it was missing the knee panel under the steering column. Thankfully that was included, and just needed the 3 screws that hold it on.

OK!!! So now that we know what the issues are…lets start cleaning things up a bit. Everything came out easy as all e30 interiors do except for one part…

This damn shift knob gave me a run for my money. I gave up trying to pull it off…and sawed it off.

So with that finally off, I was able to take out the rest of the center console, and assess the carpet.

Not too bad except for the stain running down the transmission tunnel on the driver side. I didn’t get any after pictures, but I was able to get rid of it with some carpet stain remover. It was more for spot treatment. I will clean the entire carpet in the spring.

So after pulling the center console…I noticed that the window lock switch wires were plugged into a 25 amp fuse. Not sure why anyone would do this?

I vacuumed everywhere, including under the back seat, where I found little bits of glass. Interrrrresting. Carpet looks a little better. I brought all the seats inside and cleaned them up as well. Cleaned all the door panels, pillars, seat belts, the dash. I got pretty ocd.

Some parts I yanked out of my 325i for this car. Never used front and rear ash trays, a plastic cover for the pop out window, and clothing hook.

Then it was a matter of putting everything back in. I had pretty much new oem black floor mats that I was saving for something. I think this car is worthy.

I replaced the ebrake boot and shifter boot with alcantara boots from josh. It will match with my alcantara mtech 2 wheel when I put it in ;) New shift knob, pattern emblem, window lock switch. I tried putting on a leather ebrake handle put it kept pushing the ebrake button down so it wouldn’t engage, so plastic handle for now.

And from the driver side. Sorry for the quality of pictures due to being in a cold, dark garage.

After getting everything in, I was about to call it a night, but I decided to change the engine oil too. The car was last registered in 2008, and the person I bought it from didn’t remember when the oil was changed last. Scary. But I changed it and plan to change all other fluids in the spring. Just can’t stand working in a cold garage. So, for the record-- first oil change: December 15th 2013 @ 111,401 miles.
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:50 AM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

SUB'D yay
      Will be following this closely.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Wow thats a pretty nice car you got for sight unseen, how much did you pay? sub'd
        '99 e46 323i - wrecked
        '87 e30 325iS - sold
        '91 e30 325i - sold
        '89 e30 M3 - fun car
        '09 e91 328i - sold
        '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
        '08 impreza - new rally car
        '01 996 tt - more fun car
        '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
          Wow thats a pretty nice car you got for sight unseen, how much did you pay? sub'd
          he said he paid more than $15k but less than $20k.
          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            SUB'D yay
            Will be following this closely.
            Thank ya ;)

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
            he said he paid more than $15k but less than $20k.
            I pmd him but yes between 15-20.

Okay so the car finally got a wash.

So unfortunately the car is not in my garage anymore so I dont see it as much. But here are some parts I am bringing to my next visit, hopefully today, that I will install.

NLA jack cover with the screw to hold it down. Brand new. Score :)

Also have this mtech 2 wheel waiting to be put on. The shift/ebrake boot are already in the car.

I need trim clips for the c pillar window trim, as well as clips for the side skirts. Does anyone know these part numbers? Also, I need a new altitude meter sensor (probably the wrong name but the thing next to the AFM) and i also need an AFM metal clip for the electrical connector. Mine is missing so it wont snap on.
            Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-01-2014, 04:55 PM.
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Barometric sensor is what you are thinking.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                Barometric sensor is what you are thinking.
                Yes! Thats it...thank you. lol
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

Went and put some parts in today. I also attempted to buy some tan 1 series floor mats from the dealer with the intent to put them in my e30, but they did not have the correct color. I will continue perusing this as I'd like to have tan floor mats if possible.

Anyways, my trunk space was pretty depressing. Missing both of the covers initially.

Well I fixed that. New jack cover and battery cover. Cleans up the trunk so much.

Got the screw for the jack cover too

While I was cleaning up the trunk, I pulled up the carpet piece and steelie spare out and vacuumed a bit. I also removed some wiring that was screwed into the chassis then cut. Silly PO...

Then I moved to the interior. I got a interior brush kit thing for Christmas that I put to use cleaning the center console and the vents. OCD stuff. Then I decided to replace the mtech 1 wheel

Nothing against the mtech 1...

But I had this laying around

370mm mtech 2 with tri color stitching, done in the same shade of alcantara as the shift boot and ebrake boot. Still not sure if I want to keep them of go with oem leather boots. Opinions welcome.

And since I haven't shown the condition of the back seat yet

More stuff coming in this week. :)
                  Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM.
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

starting off well...

what about the engine bay? undercarriage? everything intact mechanically?
                    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      starting off well...

what about the engine bay? undercarriage? everything intact mechanically?
                      Thank you. The engine bay will be addressed soon :) I have a lot of plastic bits to replace to freshen it up. I'd really like to get the valve cover powder coated to make all that worth it though first. Undercarriage looks pretty clean, this car lived in Texas it's entire life practically. Machanically it's good from what I can tell in my two drives I've taken it on, but Ill take care of issues as they arise in the spring. Ill refresh all the fluids and do basic mantainence when I take it out of storage.
                      Current:
                      1989 325i
                      1988 M3
                      1987 325ic
                      Past:
                      2001 330ci
                      2001 M3

Comment

Looking good! Detail of the interior, that's my specialty.
                        88 M3 Diamantschwarz
                        89 M3 Zinnoberrot
                        56 Isetta

LIKE ARCHIE'S on Facebook!
                        www.facebook.com/archiesicecream

Comment

Lucky man to find this for under 20k! glad it went to a good home, nice changes thus far!
                          DESTROY GARAGE
                          S T R E E T S T Y L E

@CRISMACSTUDIO

FREE SHELL, COME GET IT!

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                            Looking good! Detail of the interior, that's my specialty.
                            Thank you! I wish I could get my interior looking like yours ...

Originally posted by CrisMac View Post
                            Lucky man to find this for under 20k! glad it went to a good home, nice changes thus far!
                            Yes, Im pretty lucky everything worked out how it did. And Thank you!
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

Small update. Still waiting on some good stuff to arrive. :)

So the other day I realized the bottom of the jack cover held tools. When I checked mine I noticed the spot for the center cap tool was blocked

Easy fix

Now I can put the tool in. I'm missing the other lug tool, but I will be ordering it soon. I also have the wheel choke, but need the nut that holds it down. I have the jack on order, then I believe I will have a complete jack kit.

One of the first things I checked when the car arrived was the tool kit, as I didn't ask about it before buying the car. This was what I found.

Depressing. Not anymore.

I'm starting to wrap up the interior, so now I'm doing what I can with the exterior despite freezing temperatures lol. I was missing the pass. side cover here.

Thankfully I found the part new. Has holes for 5 rivets but the bottom two have nothing to hook onto.

Does anyone know the part number for the bolts that hold this distributor cap cover on? Supposed to be 3 8mm bolts...

And ending with some OT ...a friend of mine saw my old e46 on the road the other day. I miss it, but I'm glad I got my e30

Thanks for looking! Should have another update later this week when stuff arrives
                              Last edited by jhaurimn; 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM.
                              Current:
                              1989 325i
                              1988 M3
                              1987 325ic
                              Past:
                              2001 330ci
                              2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X