No announcement yet.

88' Zinno M3 (Progress Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car is just full of surprises. And not in a good way.

Race springs arrived. The ebay seller "myauto" has them listed new for $250 shipped. However you risk getting sent OE springs the first time apparently. I think it was still worth the wait, cheapest I could find them anywhere else was $359.

So now that I finally have my new shocks, mounts, and springs, I can go install them. When we were swapping them out, I made quite the *facepalm* discovery.

Dont recognize that spring number? You shouldnt...because they are meant for a Jeep Liberty.
    (EDIT: Turns out the new part number for Jeep Liberty Springs is the same as the old stock h&r e30 m3 springs)

Yes, you just read that correctly. Someone put Jeep Liberty springs in a e30 m3. Ill just let that sink in for a moment...

Cant change the past, but we can change the present and future. Mmmmm, new parts.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to replace the front strut mounts as expected. I didn't realize they made offset strut mounts, and I bought normal ones. Oh well, the ones that were in there were in good condition, and my 325i could really use the strut mounts anyways.

Bring on the lowz

And in case anyone was wondering, it rides a little better without jeep springs

And some misc pictures

Last edited by jhaurimn; 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

This car keeps getting better.
      Continuous For Sale Thread
      323i s50

Comment

I'm surprised that Jeep springs even fit in to be honest
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Don't know what to be more impressed about the car or how the hell some idiot managed to put jeep springs on it.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I'm surprised they fit as well. They definitely rode like shit compared to the new race springs.

I replaced the front rotors and pads tonight. No more warped rotors!!!!! They were bad, when braking at more than 40 mph, the front end would shake pretty bad. I will do the rears soon. Thought I took pictures....oh well. You know what brakes look like.
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

warped rotors suck. first time I noticed in a car was at high speed. scared the daylights out of me lol.

also been meaning to ask you about that sweet shift knob.. you planning to get a dogleg tranny?
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                warped rotors suck. first time I noticed in a car was at high speed. scared the daylights out of me lol.

also been meaning to ask you about that sweet shift knob.. you planning to get a dogleg tranny?
                I wish. I have no intentions to try and make people think I have a dogleg transmission, and I do not plan to get one. But I want to keep the shift knob original.
                Last edited by jhaurimn; 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM.
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

jeep liberty

Comment

Originally posted by YAN-3 View Post
                    jeep liberty
                    no no....

jeep LIBERTY?!?! :hitler:
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Jeep LIBERTY H&R Springs??? in E30 M3? I've seen it all now. Did they cut them at all ?
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        Jeep LIBERTY H&R Springs??? in E30 M3? I've seen it all now. Did they cut them at all ?
                        They were not cut. I cant imagine what the ride would of been like had they been cut as well.
                        Current:
                        1989 325i
                        1988 M3
                        1987 325ic
                        Past:
                        2001 330ci
                        2001 M3

Comment

I guess I'm wonering how did they know that specificly Jeep Liberty springs would fit a e30 M3, and then the other thought is; if those are H&R aftermarket springs I'm sure they were not too cheap, so why not JUST BUY the right springs for the car?

this will go down for me as one of these "one up lines" if I ever have friends tell me some crazy stuff they have seen on their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by YAN-3 View Post
                            I guess I'm wonering how did they know that specificly Jeep Liberty springs would fit a e30 M3, and then the other thought is; if those are H&R aftermarket springs I'm sure they were not too cheap, so why not JUST BUY the right springs for the car?

this will go down for me as one of these "one up lines" if I ever have friends tell me some crazy stuff they have seen on their cars.
                            I asked myself the same questions a few times over before concluding that it wasnt worth the brain power trying to comprehend what in the hell was going on in the little peanut brain of the previous owner.

And yeah...this is one for the record books -____-
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

my first thought would be a shop didn't have the right parts and pulled a fast one on an unsuspecting owner, assuming they wouldn't know the difference.
                              8380 Laboratories
                              M3 Champs Poster

Comment

loving this!! keep up the good work sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X