No announcement yet.

Taco's hopes and mostly dreams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its because the roots isn't hooked up to anything.......
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Ignore my ignorance.......
      sigpic

Comment

In my search for a large turbo, I was looking for a deal on a holset. I ended up finding a brand new one for 450shipped, I wanted a water cooled one but these holsets seem super stout from what Ive read and I wasnt going to go with a shit ebay turbo again or something used.

Im going to water cool my waste-gate with the lines the are currently connected to my turbo. Debating about whether I will need a second Bov between the turbo and supercharger to avoid blowing open the throttle on deceleration.
        I want to be twin charged in the next month or so, I have access to a few plasma tables so brackets for the supercharger will clean, eaton m90 is also on the way.

Comment

Seems cheap for a new one, make sure it isn't a counterfeit one - http://www.myholsetturbo.com/counterfeiting.html
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Ill be sure to check it over to make sure its not a counterfeit, thanks the info.

Edit: Looking at the nut it appears, sends a red flag however I called the company and its a big diesel shop out on the east coast. Ill have it in four days and Ill be contacting holset as well to be 100% sure. No more fake turbos.....
            Last edited by TheTacoMan; 07-18-2014, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Im considering selling supercharger brackets to mount an m90 up to an m20, you will lose power steering unless you went an a electric power steering pump. If there is interest I could make a few, plan is to get them cut on a plasma table, not sure thickness of metal yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                This car might sound a bit weird after this roots type.
                The one in that vid is way overdriven. You only hear mine when winding it out. It could be that that one has no bypass as well. It looks like he has a blow-off valve instead.
                Originally posted by Andy.B
                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

you need one of these........

sigpic

Comment

Looks crazy good, I need twin scroll in my life at some point.

Also went and picked up some books to read on down time, maybe give me some ideas as well.

Comment

New holset is here and the turd is out.

This is why you don't run ebay turbos. Inlet and exhaust housing bolts just threaded in so each bolt was a potential boost leak, and exhaust leak, metal is extremely soft and easy to break. As you can see the inches of play within 900 miles.
                      Exhaust housing

Proof of exhaust leak from the housing.

Friends don' let friends buy ebay turbos.

Comment

You need more borg warner and twin scroll!!

I guess twin charge will be cool too......
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

What do you mean about the bolts just threading in? My Holset is the same way.

And holy cow that is a ton of play. Did it happen gradually or just go kaboom one day?
                          The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
                          Turbo Tech (Garrett)
                          Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

Originally posted by blasphemy101 View Post
                            What do you mean about the bolts just threading in? My Holset is the same way.

And holy cow that is a ton of play. Did it happen gradually or just go kaboom one day?

The machining isn't close to perfect and due to that some of the bolts basically thread into holes that are open to the exhaust pressure or the inlet of the turbo. Not all of them were this way however.

Comment

Paint prep has begun, got a very small portion of the truck sanded, just getting it down to factory basecoat for now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                                *Boom.gif*
                                The machining isn't close to perfect and due to that some of the bolts basically thread into holes that are open to the exhaust pressure or the inlet of the turbo. Not all of them were this way however.
                                Ah, I misunderstood; I can't say yet if my Holset is the same way. I'll have to check.

It's a shame. I had high hopes after your initial impressions. Oh well... It looks like you're moving on to better, more reliable things.
                                The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
                                Turbo Tech (Garrett)
                                Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

Working...
                                X