Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally made up my mind and picked a turbo, I got a borg warner s256sx fmw from agp with a t3 twin scroll .75 a/r, I don't think spoll up will be any issues here :D. Also my manifold came, some assembly is required though. Ive never build a manifold before so we'll see how it goes.

It took me a weekend to get the collector figured out and a stick of pvc was the best 5 bucks ive spent haha.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I did a 12° angle and it seemed to give a nice merge and it's not to big. I think it has pretty good fit up and should weld up nicely
      (Note the one in the picture was not my first attempt haha)
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Been working on the manifold, it's turning out great so far. Little worried about welding it all but I'll figure it out.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Dude it's looking great! I'm so glad you went with the 7670 FMW, you'll be super happy. That thing spools much faster than a 30r and still makes far more peak power. And TS will only be better.

What A/R did you settle on?
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

the exhaust is a .75a/r so I'm expecting quick spool up but I don't know how well it will do for peak power. I'd be very happy with 400whp with 18psi, that might be a bit far fetch though

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Hmmm that is quite small for a twin scroll housing. You'll lose some top end but I don't foresee this being a top end screamer. It's going to be torquey with your turbo/choice of motor.

What cam are you using? Also, what IC and intake mani?

Comment

Ya I figured it was a bit small but the next size was a 1.0 and im not looking for a dyno queen. The cam is a 280/274 from bimmerheads. So far stock intake but, once I get better welding aluminum I might do something with itbs, I forgot the ic size there's a pic of it somewhere in this thread I think.

Hopefully it will be running in the next few months!

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                  Thanks! Should be running early spring, if everything goes well that is
                  I was going to throw this in your face because timelines on an engine build rarely pan out, but DAMN this thing is coming together and it looks sexy. Keep it up, Im excited to see how this ends up. Hope your reach your whp goal
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Manifold is looking great so far (what do I know though? lol) - is that your first time building one from scratch? Very cool stuff. Getting me excited for the ix engine i've had sitting in my garage moving from house to house for way too long!
                    clutchCTRL!
                    Move with a purpose.
                    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                    - 2000 323i AT
                    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                      Manifold is looking great so far (what do I know though? lol) - is that your first time building one from scratch? Very cool stuff. Getting me excited for the ix engine i've had sitting in my garage moving from house to house for way too long!
                      Yep very first manifold, I bought my tig welder in winter and figured what the hell I'll give it a shot, plus I couldn't find any twin scroll manifolds that would fit the ix so that was another reason, well that's what I keep telling myself at least.

you should definitely build it! there's been a lot of ix builds recently, sti owners shall be warner haha

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                        there's been a lot of ix builds recently, sti owners shall be warner haha
                        My stock soccer mom Forester Sports XT is and will always be faster than my iX and it makes me sad.

Comment

Haha don't feel bad I have a stock wrx as a daily and it kicks the ix's ass even with the 2.8

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Got everything tacked together and fitted up, I'll start welding this week sometime. Then comes wastegates and the down pipe.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Manifold looks great!
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Did some practice welds on some scrap peices. I think they turned out pretty good. Im definitely going to back perge everything for good measure.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                                X