No announcement yet.

M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that suck! Your lucky it didn't catch fire. Hopefully you are to get it fixed. Any idea which route your gonna go with? Maybe the turbo is to much for the fuel pump?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

As far as I can tell, something came loose in the fuel system and plugged up the return line; whatever it is, it has to be downstream of the filter (obviously). The FPR o-ring was really chewed up and had big chunks missing, but it's on the inlet side and IDK if it could actually pass through the regulator?

Anyway, I doubt either the turbo setup or the Walbro 255 LPH had anything to do with it, though the power of the pump definitely contributed to the massive over-pressure exploding haha.

For now I will bypass the clogged section, and in the winter I'll fit a new tank. Works for me.

Comment

Man, that really sucks. Glad your car didn't catch fire!
        2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Glad your work didn't go down in flames. Scary!
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
            Man, that really sucks. Glad your car didn't catch fire!
            Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
            Glad your work didn't go down in flames. Scary!
            Ya, thank god the car never really got up to operating temp, things could have gone south very quickly. I do carry a 10lb CO2 extinguisher in the trunk, and I'm even more thankful for it now

Comment

I am going to have to invest in a fire extinguisher with all these horror stories popping up recently. I am glad your car is safe. Too much time and effort in it to literally go up in flames.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

You're very lucky your car didn't catch fire. That's how my red IX burned down. :(

Glad everything is together and it's still fixable.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Close call, good thing it didn't catch fire, raw fuel spraying under hood + turbo car = ass pucker.
                  Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

What's even scarier is the fact it wasn't caused by bad maintenance/old fuel lines. The situation was completely unavoidable.

Comment

^ this
                      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Well, I've kind of been neglecting this thread...

Turns out the return line was plugged INSIDE the fuel tank somewhere, and the only solution was to install a new tank. So that got done back in early June.

e30 picnic went off without a hitch, had many beers, hung out with lots of great friends, etc etc etc.

Then proceeded to not drive it for roughly a month, for some reason. Dunno.

Then a couple weeks ago I decided to dive in to the carbon cleaning/walnut shell blasting on my 335D, which takes several days. So I DD'd the 'vert for a whole week, which kind of sucked, because it's a terrible commuting car. Noisy, rough, etc. But it did give me a chance to finally work on some of the MEgasquirt driveability issues I was having, like erratic idle and throttle response. Too bad it was like 95F for 3 days in a row, and I can't use the A/C when stuck in traffic

Then, this last Sunday, I drive home in the evening, shut the car off, and I can hear *tick tick tick tick tick* after I shut the car off. The ticking starts fast and slows down to a stop over 5-ish seconds. I realized it's the turbo... either the exhaust or compressor wheel is hitting the housing :(

So, time to tear it out and rebuild it... I must have fucked something up. I'm going to send it to these guys. They specialize in these old KKK turbos: http://gpopshop.com/

They do a full rebuild with a billet compressor wheel upgrade for ~$700. Should drop spool-up by about 1000 RPM :evil:

Comment

Send it to TCD and get the upgraded turbo. Wonder what went wrong.

edit just saw you were sending it to other guys for upgrade maybe i should read better lol

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Holy cr@p an update
                            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                              Send it to TCD and get the upgraded turbo. Wonder what went wrong.

edit just saw you were sending it to other guys for upgrade maybe i should read better lol
                              I've heard TCD does good stuff too. I'm sure both companies are competent.

Anyway summer term of grad school wraps up next week, which gives me a ~2 week break to fiddle around with the car. So I'll pull the turbo out and check it. It's also a good time to prep my downpipe for ceramic coating, and possibly measure the exhaust housing for a PTP turbo blanket. Gotta do what I can to keep these temps down :cringe:

Comment

Updates? Just picked up a bunch of m106 stuff and read the whole thread, what a journey!
                                Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Working...
                                X