M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 OEM Turbo project

Did some things. First off was an oil change since my old oil wreaked of gasoline after all the Miller BS and running rich for months. Nice new Mobil 1 15w50.

Next I pulled and wrinkle-painted the new charge pipe to match the rest of the engine bay. I also wrapped the area closest to the exhaust manifold in exhaust wrap to help keep the temps down.

Then I decided it was probably a good idea to check the oil bar bolts and do a valve adjustment, since I have literally never done either of those things in as long as I've owned this motor (which is 9 years...)

All the valves were good, if maybe a little tight. Set to 0.012" now. I also ordered new NGK BP7ES plugs which should be here tomorrow!
    Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 04-14-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Burnout video?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        Burnout video?
        this....

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Burnout video?
          Sure, got some bottlecaps you want to give me? :P

Comment

M30 OEM Turbo project

I finally found an air box that fits! Sort of... It's a 540/740 M62 airbox. Definitely big enough to flow for my engine and the inlet/outlet are in the right locations and the right size. But I still had to do a bit of modification.

First the bottom had to be cut near the wheel well since I'm installing it roughly 45* rotated from its normal position

Then I laid down two layers of glass and resin. It doesn't have to be super strong, just hold its shape.

And installed

Also, a little teaser.....

Comment

Looking good! I hope your numbers are high and your intake temps low
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^ this
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

MMMM dyno time! Who is tuning your car?

Also very nice work on the install, it looks very OEM
                  2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

That box is very nice. Good work on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                    Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

If your not gonna do burn out vid at least a dyno vid i cant even deal anymore.... must hear this beast....

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I hope your numbers are high and your intake temps low
                        Is this the turbo prayer?

That looks really good and very OEM.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

very nice:)

7speedshop.com

Comment

Bear approved.
                            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

M30 OEM Turbo project

Right, time for goodies! But first, a small disclaimer. We had problems with the factory wastegate as it would not allow any boost levels above ~7psi. I've been doing some research over on the FI section of mye28 and the e23 section of bf.c, and the factory wastegate should be capable of putting out roughly 15psi, which means mine is likely defective. We tried two different manual boost controllers and had the same result. So sadly my boost was limited and I couldn't get to the 10psi goal I had in mind. I'll either need to find another m106 wastegate, find a way to adapt and aftermarket model, or pick up one of the Miller custom pieces.

The stock tune that ships with the whodwho MS2 box is damn good. The tuner ended up pulling about 3 degrees of timing out to be safe (there was zero decrease in HP, meaning it was already on the plateau just before knock would have set in) and adding roughly 10% more fuel across the board to get AFRs down around 12.

Final numbers were 250whp and 280wtq. This is on a Dyno Dynamics 4WD dyno, totally uncorrected for driveline losses. It's obvious this is old-school turbo tech, look at that lag!! :p

Here's the AFR and boost graph. Note the boost peaks around 7.5psi before tapering off to 6psi. All indications point towards a faulty wastegate, likely with a torn diaphragm.

I really wish I had a video of a full pull, but since I was assisting the tech with the boost issue, I didn't get one. You'll have to settle for a partial pull :)

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
                              Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

not bad for 7psi!
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X