No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I pretty much accomplished none of the ambitious items from the to do list I last posted. Of all those items, all I managed to do was spend 20 minutes sanding one of the rough sections on the euro trim. I guess I never really looked too closely at it because now I am seeing many broken tabs (I expected some, but having every bottom tab broken on one piece makes me worried that it won't sit flush). I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyway, the reason I didn't get much done was because I was trying to be responsible and complete some much needed maintenance on my daily. After all, the entire point of buying it was so I wouldn't be commuting in the e30. That worked well for the first several months until all the maintenance I knew it needed, but procrastinated doing, caught up to me. It needed a new clutch badly, new O2 sensors, suspension needed to be raised, new tires, a valve cover gasket, rear window seal, and front cowl trim (hence why I got it so cheap :D ). So I parked it like 3 weeks ago intending to get it all done quickly, but each day I got home and "didn't feel like it" and also didn't do anything on the e30 because I felt too guilty. Then the heat wave struck and I was dying in the e30 without AC (110 mile round trip commute), so I got to work, though progress was still slow since I really didn't want to do it.

Saturday was slated to be about 105-110F but I got some relief via the big fire burning in Santa Clarita. Wind shifted and blew the smoke overhead early afternoon and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees and cast an apocalyptic orange light over the area. It was weird.

After spending Saturday lying on my back underneath that damn sedan, I decided to reward myself by spending Sunday in Venice detailing cars, beaching, and BBQing with a buddy. Never get tired of seeing his blue s4 avant.

Snapped a current picture of the bay and discovered the google photo editor. I still have a bunch of ideas and plans to finish the bay off nicely.

Picked up a one touch window module and some e36 switches. My e30 switches have been getting really finicky lately requiring me to really mash them to get them to work.

Got some new clay to hopefully remove the overspray/general surface contamination that the rear of the car suffered while I was fixing the accident damage. I didn't fully cover the car since I ran out of plastic, and I wrongly thought it would be okay. The trunk back was uncovered and is really rough now. I'm hoping the aggressive clay will take care of it and I can give it a quick polish to finish it off. The LEDs are for another little idea I've had floating in my head for months.

Here's the pitiful progress I made on the euro trim.

Before (I already hit it slightly with an orbital sander. It looked worse)

After a little bit of work it looks better. Still needs quite a bit more. Maybe I can find some sort of plastic primer that could fill the light scratches. I'll be spraying all of the trim with sem trim paint to restore them to a nice new luster.

Lastly, I picked up some new oil. This stuff seems to be the gold standard when it comes to oil for high performance BMW motors. There's a note on the bottom that this oil is "specifically recommended for m-engines", and the amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Supposedly this is even a better alternative the the extremely expensive castrol 10w60 available at the dealer. This stuff is pretty damn expensive too, but if it's really as good as I've read, I won't hesitate to continue using it. I am hoping that I get less lifter tick at the autox tomorrow.

So now that the e36 maintenance is nearly finished (just need to repaint a set of style 32s, mount tires, and do window gasket, VC gasket) I will feel like I've earned the right to play with the e30 again and finish up the last details to get restored to its former glory, and then some :D
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Have you tried over-filling the oil to combat lifter tick? I ran 8 litres in my M50B25 and never had any lifter tick, even after a hard charging run with several 7,200 rev limiter bounces... unless the oil got low.

I now run my built 3.0 motor to 7,800 and also have no ticking.

Comment

@Jaker, is that with the E34 pan or E36? ( I'm assuming this is an E30 swapped car)

I only ask because I think with the E34 pan, 6 litres is recommend so most added another litre, which in your case would be 2 more litres. I'm also about to join that same autocross and am changing my oil tonight. I'm trying to decide how much extra oil to add
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
          Have you tried over-filling the oil to combat lifter tick? I ran 8 litres in my M50B25 and never had any lifter tick, even after a hard charging run with several 7,200 rev limiter bounces... unless the oil got low.

I now run my built 3.0 motor to 7,800 and also have no ticking.
          Yes I have. It made no difference. Oil pan is also baffled and I replaced internal components and checked wear on the oil pump when it was out. I'm really just suspecting some slightly bad lifters now. It's clearly just like 3 or 4 of them that make noise after the hard autox runs back to back. After each run they get noisier which to me seems as if it's corresponding to oil temp. As oil temp slowly rises with each consecutive run, the oil thins a bit and the lifters with the slightly bad internal sealing/loose check valve/whatever become increasingly unable to hold the oil pressure like they should.

Actually, I just recalled a memory from my first autox. Back story - the block and head that are in the e30 were actually originally from my 328 vert e36. I recall that after that first autocross, my engine was also ticking like a mofo, pretty much the same way it ticks now. When I built the s52 for the e30, I reused the head, and all internals besides the cams. I believe back then I was running the "german castrol" 0w30 european formula. Also back then I didn't have an oil pan baffle, and that was with the e36 pan, rear sump.

So this is not a new problem, and seems independent of different oil pans, new bottom end (new bearings, new oil pump internals), different oils (since there is rotella t6 5w40 in there now), significantly different driving style (I was definitely slower in ever way back then, around turns, straight lines, braking), and different course (that autox course was much smaller).

So again, to me, this points to a couple bad lifters.
          Shadetree30

Comment

Im only asking about oil pans because they have different capacities, so 8 litres of oil could be one extra or two. I added one extra when I did my last autocross and after 8 runs I was paranoid by the lifter tick
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              @Jaker, is that with the E34 pan or E36? ( I'm assuming this is an E30 swapped car)

I only ask because I think with the E34 pan, 6 litres is recommend so most added another litre, which in your case would be 2 more litres. I'm also about to join that same autocross and am changing my oil tonight. I'm trying to decide how much extra oil to add
              Yea, this is also something I never really confirmed an answer to, though I've tried to find one. When I've filled oil on the swapped e30, I've always filled it with 7 liters, rather than going by the line on the dipstick. Looking at the dipstick after filling 7 liters, the oil level is quite a bit over the "full" mark. I don't know if that's right or wrong. When I've autoxed, I have made sure that my oil is topped off, at least to what would be the 7 liter mark (I think typically I put 7.5 liters in there).

When I change oil tonight, I'll pay close attention to where on the dipstick the 7L mark is.
              Shadetree30

Comment

Mine is an E36 pan, and when I overfill, the oil level sits about 1/4 above the full mark. So the 2 lines on the dipstick are like an inch apart, and my fill level is about 1/4" above the full.

Comment

I'm in the same boat right now. Putting off e30 work, doing DD repairs instead. A/C is so nice to have haha.

Also realizing how terrible the e30 is to commute compared to a 7 series.. Floating to work in leathered luxury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                    Mine is an E36 pan, and when I overfill, the oil level sits about 1/4 above the full mark. So the 2 lines on the dipstick are like an inch apart, and my fill level is about 1/4" above the full.
                    The space between the two lines is equal to one liter. So you're only overfilling by 1/4 liter.
                    Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                    I'm in the same boat right now. Putting off e30 work, doing DD repairs instead. A/C is so nice to have haha.

Also realizing how terrible the e30 is to commute compared to a 7 series.. Floating to work in leathered luxury

It's not fun, but no A/C is way less fun. 7 series sounds liek a great commuter car. I'm just scared of maintenance costs - maybe I just don't know enough about them.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Good luck this weekend

-
                      Project
                      Parts for Sale
                      Feedback
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                        Good luck this weekend
                        Thanks man! Hoping I don't melt out there doing cone work

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                          The space between the two lines is equal to one liter. So you're only overfilling by 1/4 liter.

It's not fun, but no A/C is way less fun. 7 series sounds liek a great commuter car. I'm just scared of maintenance costs - maybe I just don't know enough about them.

It's a 7 series with an m30 ^.^

Comment

Come over for cold beers after and bring Simon

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

I had to cut out early but we had fun today. Hoping those FRspeed guys got good pics of our cars
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                When I fill the motor during an oil change, I pour 8 quarts into the engine. How did autocross go?

Comment

Working...
                                X