No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got 80% of the splitter done over the weekend. Bought a cheapo Ebay lip. Cut the bottom 1.5" off it. Trimmed it to fit the IS lip mounting hardware. Cut a strip of ABS and riveted it to the ebay lip. Picked up a piece of 1"×1" angle aluminum 1/16" thick. Marked it up and notched it so it could be bent to shape. Bent it to the profile of the IS lip and then riveted it to the ABS. bottom flange of the aluminum angle becomes the mounting points for the undertray/splitter. Used speed nuts for the fasteners. Did some CAD tracing the outline of the IS lip onto cardboard. Then extended it 3.5" and transferred the shape to ABS. cut it out and marked up the mounting points. Drilled the holes, mounted it and voila! I decided to add some extra "brackets" on each side between splitter and valance (they're just zip ties for now) as extra precaution since the ebay lip doesnt grab the clips as well as the oem IS lip does... glad I did. It seems my splitter is working quite well and generating enough force to pop itself out of the entire section of front clips without any other interference. Those zip ties are all that kept it on the car! I'll add an additional 2 reinforcement brackets to secure the front as well as a brace and splitter supports. Maybe I'll add the splitter supports first in case I dont need the extra brackets after that and can avoid drilling more holes in the splitter and valence... Promptly took the car for a drive Sunday morning to test and have some fun in the canyons. No idea if the splitter is doing anything yet, but damn the car felt very planted. Now I'm super motivated to finish off the details: some sort of mesh grills behind the front tires and ducting the front lower valence opening. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

love. i'm loving all that you're doing.

Comment

Nice work Charlie! Good to see you're getting into the canyons again. We need to try and link up and have a run together... the Roadster should finally be ready sometime this year LOL
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Nice work Charlie! Good to see you're getting into the canyons again. We need to try and link up and have a run together... the Roadster should finally be ready sometime this year LOL
          That only gives you 3 and a half months.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
            Not only is time a concern just the desire to get out in a hot garage and work on something...I used to love to do that and didn't have the money to pay someone...still really dont have the money but also dont have the desire to either. It hit like 97 degrees here today...still...in September...oof
            Can't see your location, but I sympathize (kinda). Hit 100 in the san fernando valley, just outside of LA this weekend. Not to be deterred, I spent the day at a friends pool and opened the garage around 8pm after it got dark and started to cool off. Exited the garage around 3am with completed front splitter I'm also still in my 20s and can tap an endless supply of energy and enthusiasm when the right project comes along

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            It could be worse. At least you still have your health. I have been dealing with an unknown progressing medical condition for over a year now. Where I went from 240lbs 12% body fat to 190 something and I now need a cane to walk around. Now I have money, desire and a lot of time. But I am physically unable.
            Man, so sorry to hear that. Power to you to stay positive. I try to keep things in perspective as often as I can, always mindful of how much I am fortunate to have (health, friends/family, material things, job, safety etc.).
            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              love. i'm loving all that you're doing.
              Just having fun

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Just say the word!

That only gives you 3 and a half months.
              clock is ticking!
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Can't see your location, but I sympathize (kinda). Hit 100 in the san fernando valley, just outside of LA this weekend. Not to be deterred, I spent the day at a friends pool and opened the garage around 8pm after it got dark and started to cool off. Exited the garage around 3am with completed front splitter I'm also still in my 20s and can tap an endless supply of energy and enthusiasm when the right project comes along

Im in Dallas, Texas. Oh to be in my 20 again... :D

1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Continued finishing the front splitter. Needed to add some support rods since the lip was pulling itself out of the brackets while driving at speed (I guess it works?). Used some cheapo amazon ones... instant regret. They're all aluminum and weak. Ordered a different quality set that'll arrive next week. Applied some more CAD to shaping the continuation of the lip up the fender and wheel arch. Welded a few tabs and used speed nuts to anchor it. Thinking of adding some canards too and itll be complete. Next up finishing front grill ducting. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  Shadetree30

Comment

I'm continually loving all this! Great work! I think it ties it all together even better!

Comment

Thanks, had a minor design fail. So I should've and could've done a bit more fitment testing before jumping into this so deep... it was me being lazy not wanting to put the wheels on and the car back on the ground. Oh well. Had to cut everything off an basically start from scratch. The front fender line lips stuck too far into the inside of the wheel well, fouling the tire when doing more than a 1/2 rotation of the steering wheel. Could've easily noticed that if I tested... Anyway, reused the flaps, just trimmed them down and will now run them on the outside of the fender (no protrusion into the wheel well). Cut some brackets from aluminum and backed them with black vinyl to help them blend. Looks good. Pulled some cool parts out of storage. European s50b32 headers and an s54 oil pump. Headers I'm taking some measurements off of and will start sometime in the next few months. Oil pump is getting modded to fit the e36 impeller which adds a bit more volume. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                      Shadetree30

Comment

V2 looks great too!

Comment

V2 looks great too!
                          glad you think so! me too :)

it's all giving me loads of ideas for further undertray pieces and finally fully blocking off the wheel wells which is a major pet peeve of mine - I hate the missing wheel well liners and splash guards allowing the tires to throw all sorts of dirt into the engine compartment and wheel wells.
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                            glad you think so! me too :) it's all giving me loads of ideas for further undertray pieces and finally fully blocking off the wheel wells which is a major pet peeve of mine - I hate the missing wheel well liners and splash guards allowing the tires to throw all sorts of dirt into the engine compartment and wheel wells.
                            You're so right. The little jack stand square at the bottom of the fender is the reason I got rust in the first place. Look how it just crept under the square and burrowed into the car body.

Comment

You're so right. The little jack stand square at the bottom of the fender is the reason I got rust in the first place. Look how it just crept under the square and burrowed into the car body.
                              How did you remove the square? Mine has peeled off of the pinch weld and is rusting too :/

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                                How did you remove the square? Mine has peeled off of the pinch weld and is rusting too :/
                                I used a cold chisel and a hammer. I just smacked off the welds.

Comment

Working...
                                X