No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe a bead of RTV on some of those seams could keep it sealed?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      Maybe a bead of RTV on some of those seams could keep it sealed?
      ehhh I don't know if that's necessary. The seams are also blocked on the inside
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
        ehhh I don't know if that's necessary. The seams are also blocked on the inside
        Yea I guess probably not necessary. Could you use the side skirts as a mounting location for some underbody aero?

Comment

Yea I guess probably not necessary. Could you use the side skirts as a mounting location for some underbody aero?
          Yes, and that is a future intention. The bottom of the sideskirts are actually flush with the frame rails and will provide a perfect sturdy outer edge to mount to when I eventually come to that project. Believe it or not, as low as it may look now, my skid plate, front x brace, muffler, and the portion of the exhaust that goes under the rear subframe are all a good 1-2" lower than the frame rails and skirts.
          Shadetree30

Comment

I believe it! It's amazing how low some of that stuff sits. Most certainly doesn't help with drag either I'm sure. I have also thought about how a lower skid plate could also be utilized to cool down the engine bay temps. If E30s need help in any department it's aero and engine bay temps.

Comment

Solid skid plates will raise engine fluid temps as the main cooling comes from the oil pan itself. Definitely something to be mindful and careful about when going flat bottom. The air entering the bay via the radiator needs to escape somehow (hood vent, just after the radiator ideally).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                Solid skid plates will raise engine fluid temps as the main cooling comes from the oil pan itself. Definitely something to be mindful and careful about when going flat bottom. The air entering the bay via the radiator needs to escape somehow (hood vent, just after the radiator ideally).
                It makes me think about my Audi and how it's skid plate has little almost triangle cutouts to pull air from the engine while driving. Would this not work with the E30 as well? I also think hood vents are probably the best case for sure, though.

Comment

I asked about filling in that area because filling it in would defeat the purpose in making the gap but it kind of looked unfinished. I can see the mesh finishing the look while keeping it functional. Have you considered filling in the area and installing something like a hood vent? I am always amazed by what you come up with. Keep up the good work.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I believe it! It's amazing how low some of that stuff sits. Most certainly doesn't help with drag either I'm sure. I have also thought about how a lower skid plate could also be utilized to cool down the engine bay temps. If E30s need help in any department it's aero and engine bay temps.
                    Yea. I have some ideas on how to tuck up the next version of an exhaust system I'm planning to keep it out of the way.
                    Yes, I was thinking about that both for cooling fluids and cooling ME in the driver seat... I have basically no heat shielding between motor/exhaust and chassis and enclosing all that heat generating machinery would surely radiate a lot of heat into the cabin. I do have the hood vent already installed though so that ought to help and I have an s54 oil filter housing ready to install with an oil cooler.
                    It makes me think about my Audi and how it's skid plate has little almost triangle cutouts to pull air from the engine while driving. Would this not work with the E30 as well? I also think hood vents are probably the best case for sure, though.
                    Picture?
                    Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                    I asked about filling in that area because filling it in would defeat the purpose in making the gap but it kind of looked unfinished. I can see the mesh finishing the look while keeping it functional. Have you considered filling in the area and installing something like a hood vent? I am always amazed by what you come up with. Keep up the good work.
                    Yea I agree with you. It's been bugging me too and I spent a good 2 hours or so just staring at it thinking of ways to make it functional and aesthetically pleasing. Ultimately I decided to do this for now and eventually finish it off. I just don't need the scope of this project to creep any further. Thanks!
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Here are two examples. I only know it reduces temps because when I was on the Audi forum there was a big ol discussion about it.

Comment

Yes, that is why the stock plastic under tray has cut outs in it as well. The Audi ones are NACA ducts and are probably much more effective.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yes, that is why the stock plastic under tray has cut outs in it as well. The Audi ones are NACA ducts and are probably much more effective.
                          Thanks for the information on the NACA ducts. Much easier to google with the right name. Haha!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the pictures and info
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Reading more into NACA ducts it's a pretty amazing design. So basically depending on the orientation of the duct it creates a high of low pressure. Flip them and it pulls air out, flip them the other way and if pushes air in. So you could theoretically mount these in either orientation to move air in the engine, depending on the area of placement.

Comment

Reading more into NACA ducts it's a pretty amazing design. So basically depending on the orientation of the duct it creates a high of low pressure. Flip them and it pulls air out, flip them the other way and if pushes air in. So you could theoretically mount these in either orientation to move air in the engine, depending on the area of placement.
                                thank you, I've filed this info in my brain for later usage
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X