Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
    The more I see from builds like yours and guys that can weld, the more I know I need to just buy a house so I can get a good welding setup and learn to do this type of work. Looks great man
    welding really enables bad ideas and projects to come to life which otherwise wouldn't... if you couldn't tell :p

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
    Wow Sh3rpak!ng, what a creative idea. Great job.
    thanks!
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Once you work out the kinks, you can go ahead and build me a set of these TA's

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
        Once you work out the kinks, you can go ahead and build me a set of these TA's
        Ha! Now that I've figured out the recipe I'd consider making another set sometime in the future
        Shadetree30

Comment

Trailing arm mods done! Just need paint now. Was considering additional reinforcement along the side of the arm that got cut into, but now I think its unnecessary. The tube itself is 1/8" which is heavier than the original stamped steel.

New springs are on order, same rates but a 6" length vs original 5" length. I've got more adjustment range now too and loads of travel. The actual articulating perch assemblies bolt in just in case I ever needed to replace/service any portion.

Almossssst done with fab work. Just need to do the cross reinforcement on the passenger side trailing arm since the first piece I made interferes with the fuel fill hose. God it's going to be great to sweep out the garage and dust everything off. The steel dust is god awful and has gotten EVERYWHERE.

Half done with assembly of a HF standing blast cabinet too :D

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM.
          Shadetree30

Comment

This is awesome. It looks like you'd probably still be able to run a 5" spring with how much adjustment there is. I have my adjusters all the way down (touching the trailing arm) with 5" springs. I suppose though that part of the goal with this is to have more bump travel, which a 6" spring in the same rate would.

RISING EDGE

Comment

This is awesome. It looks like you'd probably still be able to run a 5" spring with how much adjustment there is. I have my adjusters all the way down (touching the trailing arm) with 5" springs. I suppose though that part of the goal with this is to have more bump travel, which a 6" spring in the same rate would.
              thanks! yea, probably could still run the 5" spring. Eyeballing it, max height adjustment is actually taller than where I was at with the old adjuster. But as you noted, half the reason I did this whole thing was to gain more travel. I misspoke a few posts ago when i mentioned coil bind... I do not have coil bind, but I do/did have contact between upper and power perches.
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                More progress. Some steps forward and backward. Got the massive m50x1.5 tap from China to chase threads in the front coilover housings. Did that and everything threads nice and smoothly again.

Did welding the strut tube damage the threads? I want to do the same thing with my bcs. My front swaybar is in a bad position.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                  Did welding the strut tube damage the threads? I want to do the same thing with my bcs. My front swaybar is in a bad position.
                  No I don't think so. One tube had rust in the threads and the insert was very difficult to remove. After removal I noticed a couple of threads were fairly torn up. The other insert threaded back in nicely without issues. I chased them both anyway and sprayed them with copper anti-seize.
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

thanks! yea, probably could still run the 5" spring. Eyeballing it, max height adjustment is actually taller than where I was at with the old adjuster. But as you noted, half the reason I did this whole thing was to gain more travel. I misspoke a few posts ago when i mentioned coil bind... I do not have coil bind, but I do/did have contact between upper and power perches.
                    What spring rate do you run in the rear?

RISING EDGE

Comment

What spring rate do you run in the rear?
                      8k (448 lbs) front
                      10k (560 lbs) rear
                      Shadetree30

Comment

New toy in da haus.... works spectacularly in conjunction with the monster compressor. Just need to improve lighting inside and dust collection/seal Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        Shadetree30

Comment

This is awesome but I have a question. Does the threaded adjuster have a locking collar to keep it from moving out of adjustment?
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Damn I want a media blaster so bad. AND a beer fridge in the garage. Coin toss as to which takes precedence tho
                            '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

OHHHH MANNNNN... I need to media blast this oil pan Im trying to sell... lemme come by one of these days. Tomorrow and Saturday are "car days" for me. Text me when you're home
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                This is awesome but I have a question. Does the threaded adjuster have a locking collar to keep it from moving out of adjustment?
                                No it doesn't and doesn't look like any of the GC kits include one. I was thinking about this as well. There shouldn't be any reason for the perch to rotate, but I'll mark it and check over time anyway to be sure. If it does rotate I'll figure something out.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X