Why in the actual fuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

http://www.lindseyracing.com/
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

944 Spec Racing is fun to watch.

I wouldn't want a 944 as a project though...
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          Thanks brocephus.
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah man. They're like the 944 peeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              944 Spec Racing is fun to watch.
              It really is. Idk if this will be race car or street car. Likely street.
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If a 1983 rabbit has the same ignition housing and the same ignition switch as my 944, wouldn't you assume it takes the same ignition lock cylinder? Cause the 944 one is $60 and the rabbit one is $12. What gives?
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                  If a 1983 rabbit has the same ignition housing and the same ignition switch as my 944, wouldn't you assume it takes the same ignition lock cylinder? Cause the 944 one is $60 and the rabbit one is $12. What gives?
                  One says Porsche and the other says VW. I come across the same thing with my vw bus. It shares an engine family with the 914, so I get to pay Porsche prices for VW power.

Nothing like 5k to rebuild a 70hp motor...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                    One says Porsche and the other says VW. I come across the same thing with my vw bus. It shares an engine family with the 914, so I get to pay Porsche prices for VW power.

Nothing like 5k to rebuild a 70hp motor...
                    Time for a swap. Bam. Done.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm about to do a full ignition lock cylinder swap on this car. Bam. Done.

Btdubz, I pulled the ignition switch off the back of the lock cylinder housing. Dropped in a battery and got it to turn over. The cam is off and all of the valves were closed but it sounded healthy so far. So we know the starter works. Now we're getting somewhere...
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

only thing 944s are useful for is engine swaps

Comment

I pulled the head yesterday. All exhaust manifold bolts came off with ease. There was a decent score in cylinder #4. I could catch my fingernail in it. I think I'm gonna ignore it though. It'll probably be ok, so I ordered all of the gaskets and seals for it. I'll have them next week.

So what might cause 1 cylinder to have a score? Debris? Oil starvation? All of the above?

The rest of the motor seems nice and tightish.

Having one of these motors rebored is apparently a bit of a bish. I've read that it's some special process that most machine shops don't have the tooling for (because non-sleeved aluminum block). At this point, I'm not afraid to pull the block out and take it to a machinist, but don't wanna dump too much money into it just to see if I'm going to like the damn thing.

Will a relatively small score cause lots of problems? Or will it just have slightly lower compression in that one cyl and lose a smidgeon of power and whoopty-frickin-doo who cares?
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Will a relatively small score cause lots of problems? Or will it just have slightly lower compression in that one cyl and lose a smidgeon of power and whoopty-frickin-doo who cares?
                            I read the internet and this is the answer. Good, cause it's many grands to redo an alusil® block correctly. Super!!
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

K, so I got all of the gasketry for the entire motor. Ebay - $230. Not too bad, a smidgeon more expensive than the m20 equivalent. I also grabbed a new used cam tower for $75 so, that is neat. Ima drop the head at the machinist tomorrow morning for a skim and lap as well. The it's on, as if it were Donkey Kong.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I like the look of 944s, can't say I wouldn't buy one and mod the crap out of it if I had the chance. I want to see how this turns out!

I read the internet and this is the answer. Good, cause it's many grands to redo an alusil® block correctly. Super!!
                                It's a few less grands to ditch the meh-tier M44 for something a little more skookum

How about an M20 powered 944 ;D

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X