1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    Small update for anyone who still reads these. After years of fighting with the gpeterson canbus and multiple attempts to get the AC working consistently in my car I went in a different direction. The funny thing is when I removed the canbus it fixed a bunch of other little issues I was having with the car. It was a great idea with poor execution and no support.

I pulled all of it out and went with this product from Race German. https://racegerman.com/collections/e...-ac-module-kit

It cleaned up my wiring considerably, now my aux fan works in the OEM way and the AC turns on and off and blows cold consistently. $250 well spent!
    Ha, congrats. You just reminded me I need to get my A/C working for the summer!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      Small update for anyone who still reads these. After years of fighting with the gpeterson canbus and multiple attempts to get the AC working consistently in my car I went in a different direction. The funny thing is when I removed the canbus it fixed a bunch of other little issues I was having with the car. It was a great idea with poor execution and no support.

I pulled all of it out and went with this product from Race German. https://racegerman.com/collections/e...-ac-module-kit

It cleaned up my wiring considerably, now my aux fan works in the OEM way and the AC turns on and off and blows cold consistently. $250 well spent!
      Dude! I literally have had the gpeterson canbus thing in a box for years. My A/C has always worked but the one issue I have is the idle is doesn't bump so it wants to die everytime I come to a stoplight. Does the Race German setup solve for that too? If so, this is a huge find!
      Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
      COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post

Dude! I literally have had the gpeterson canbus thing in a box for years. My A/C has always worked but the one issue I have is the idle is doesn't bump so it wants to die everytime I come to a stoplight. Does the Race German setup solve for that too? If so, this is a huge find!
        I believe so, at idle you can feel it drop a bit but it stays high enough to not stall out.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Adding an update on my stereo setup. I just moved that to a preproduction version of AMP+, its a Cantaloupe Radio product I purchased through Bradnic (OEM Hifi) and in one word its awesome! To give context I have a CM5908 that had the original BT Board and a refurbed OEM amp in the trunk. I am running brand new stock premium speakers.

I wanted to add a sub, I wanted to have a better display and more functionality, but I wanted to keep the CM5908 I love the OEM look. So the AMP+ with the new BT board as well the updated display fit the bill.

First off, good, it sounds AMAZING! Same exact speakers running off this head unit almost made me forget that I needed a sub, now I am exaggerating a bit, but I had zero bass before, which running the stock 5.25 speakers.

Well its not like running a sub, but the music is actually warm now, it sounds much more full with just the Amp change. The cool bonus is all the controls on the display directly, eq, sub level etc. And all the connectivity in the back, sub out, mic connection, aux if you need it, preamp outs etc. Oh and the Bluetooth runs flawlessly, it connects immediately and silently each time.

Here are the challenges, and I wouldn't say they were bad just have to work through it, also mine is preproduction so not sure if any of this will change. First, this thing draws more power, so you need to run a tap to the cigarette lighter. Really easy and they give you a plug-and-play wire to do it that still maintains the lighter functionality.

Second is you need to run wires directly to the front speakers, the rears hook up directly to the harness so no issues other. They give you some nice direct connection harness, so its easy to do, but you have to remove the kick panel covers and run the wires to the back of the radio harness.

The last thing is the harness due to having so many options and connection points its a lot of wires that you need to carefully tuck behind the radio to make sure it still fits and doesn't interfere with the HVAC panel. I was able to do it by tucking it mostly toward the console, and to my surprise it sat flush on the first push back.

Overall is this expensive, yea probably, would it be cheaper to just get an aftermarket radio, or something else sure, but there is nothing that looks as OEM as this and preforms this well. So if you are looking for a period correct look, with knock out performance that has a ton of modern options and expandability nothing can touch it.

It reminds me of a grass routes version of all Porche Classic radios that are out there that cost a ton more.

Anyway I am happy, and super excited to hear it once I do add my sub.

Last edited by Staszek; 05-30-2024, 09:52 AM.

Comment

That is a great update-

I got minty premium sound speakers for hoopty after messing with different setups for a while. Running a good stock trunk amp with the continental head unit and it’s still lack luster.

I’ve been hoping a nice amp will make all the difference, so your update is confirmation that once Brad releases his aftermarket trunk amp setups I’ll likely get where I want to be!
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Running a good stock trunk amp with the continental head unit and it’s still lack luster.
              hey Bobbie!

I know lots of folks run the Conti radio, but truth is it’s very basic, especially the BT implementation. Factory premium speakers in good working order, a rebuilt 5908 or 5907 with a Cantaloupe Radio BA31 or BA32 and a refurbished factory trunk amp will absolutely sound cleaner, with more dynamic range too.

I’ve been hoping a nice amp will make all the difference, so your update is confirmation that once Brad releases his aftermarket trunk amp setups I’ll likely get where I want to be!
              The Sound System adapter harnesses are out and available! You have a few upgrade paths

- if you keep the Conti, yes an external amp and sub will improve things. It won’t improve source signal quality though. You connect the external amp using one of the harnesses. Which one depends on whether you need access to the radio output wires or not.

- replacing the conti with a factory alpine and cantaloupe radio kit will get you better Bluetooth sound quality, even with the factory amp (as long as it’s been serviced). Add a sub to that and you’re set unless you want more power

Text me and we can discuss further.
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

That is a great update-

I got minty premium sound speakers for hoopty after messing with different setups for a while. Running a good stock trunk amp with the continental head unit and it’s still lack luster.

i was actually surprised at how good the premium speakers sounded when hooked up to the right power. I am definitely getting a sub, but it sounds good enough now that I don't have to rush. I mean its not B&W but its really damn good for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                X