1970 2002 Factory Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 2002 Factory Restoration

Soo I have decided to make a new thread. The old one is so long and bleh.....

For those of you who don't know I bought a 1970 2002 a while back...

Before

After loads of rust and learning how to weld, I semi-completed the car in Jan-Feb w/s52 swap, It was fun for a bit. I even took it to auto-x and did well for my first time out on the car.

Long story short, the car still needed more work. I have decided to strip the car down and attempt to go for something different.

So the flares are going

everything else is going....

I got new meat...

I got a wrecked ap2 s2000 that will be my donor for suspension and engine.

today's progress

Note, interior paint is temporary. Its just to prevent temporary rust.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Nice work! I assume you plan on streeting it that's why the cage stops at the firewall. Any plans for increasing rigidity a bit through the unibody?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
      Nice work! I assume you plan on streeting it that's why the cage stops at the firewall. Any plans for increasing rigidity a bit through the unibody?
      Yea basically, I thought about a cage....... Still debating
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

People of r3v, i need opinions on flares... mock up... I think they suck.....

Back to square one

Need help making cosmetically nice flares.... any options? or know anyone?

Comment

Moar!

I'm no body man, but box flares would look pretty good, and it looks like you have the skills to make them.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Do a Google search for BMW 2002 group 2 and group 5. Group 2 is more street friendly.

Group 2

Group 5

Random other stuff

I know there is a company in Germany that still makes the group 2 and 5 body kits.
            Or you could make cardboard/poster board templates and then transfer them to metal.
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

I personally love the group 2 look.
              Group 5 would be way to aggressive for the street, but maybe you could do a slightly less aggressive version of those box flares.
              sigpic
              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Personally I would keep with the S2000 theme and go overfender look
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by knuklehead92 View Post
                  People of r3v, i need opinions on flares... mock up... I think they suck.....

Back to square one

Need help making cosmetically nice flares.... any options? or know anyone?
                  I think whats throwing you, me at least is you 90* off right into the body. carry the top side of the flare upwards so if flows into the body better. The Gruppe cars are cool but be original, you'll thank yourself later.

Some inspiration for you.

Obviously not an 02 but it'll give you some ideas how to approach the flares differently.

another option

Be you though, you're doing so much other insane custom work, don;t settle for off the shelf, look at it as version one. maybe leave it where its at but pull the top up higher like Karel did in those pictures and see how that looks.
                  sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Also.....sub'd
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip guys!

That e90 is awesome, love the flares

I will aim for something along these lines....

Also check out this guy's build thread tr6 tube chassis f20 swap

Automotive builds - Turbo F20C, tube chassis, Triumph TR6 - Hey guys. I’ve been working on this for a while, but didn’t think to put it on here until now. I hope you enjoy. Please share positive commentary only. Backstory – I grew up with british cars, mainly Triumphs and Jaguars, and occasionally an MG or two. I’ve...

I love these flares, they look right at home :devil:

Last edited by knuklehead92; 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

That triumph.......man I think I am going to end up owning one of those......yes do those flares haha!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                          that's actually really fucking clever. the finished product kinda looks rocketbunny-esque, wonder if that's how that dude does his designs

Comment

I just read that entire Triumph build......next level shit right there. The interior fabrication was on point.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                              that's actually really fucking clever. the finished product kinda looks rocketbunny-esque, wonder if that's how that dude does his designs
                              Nope he actually 3D renders everything and has a massive CNC foam molding machine that builds all his prototypes. There is a youtube video of it somewhere.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X