Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by efficient View Post
    dang seat looks very nice. just one question did you add any options to the leather seats when ordering them like line piping or anything?
    Thanks. I don't remember but I showed them a pic of the stock seats and they sent the exact kit I needed which is the standard E30 sport seat pattern with vertical stitching with piping on the side bolsters. I think their kit can be had with or without the piping.

Here are the seats together in the car.

There are some minor adjustments that I need to make, like how the leather folds along the top on the drivers seat, etc but I am happy with how everything turned out. The LSeat leather is thicker than stock and textured. The pieces aren't 1:1 copies of the originals but they are close enough. For the money, it's hard to beat and what a difference it makes.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-14-2019, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    dang seat looks very nice. just one question did you add any options to the leather seats when ordering them like line piping or anything?

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Yes, I will be there, hopefully with this car. The seat is all done and ready to go back into the car. I had to wait for the right Krylon plastic paint to refresh my belt recepticle. Turned out great!

Before:

After:

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Will it be at SoCal Vintage? Join us for the caravan

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by rzerob View Post

Take a heat gun to the plastic receptacle button it will bring the color back to it.
    Already tried. That method didn't work for me on my 84-85 early style receptacle. The plastic itself has faded. It's not a chalky layer of oxidation that just needs to be removed. I've cleaned and buffed it but the color will not return. Just going to paint them.

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Now, I am waiting on Krylon plastic paint to arrive so I can refurbish the seat belt receptacle button. It will be the finishing touch.
    Take a heat gun to the plastic receptacle button it will bring the color back to it.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by efficient View Post
    what kind of glue did you use for the cardboard?
    Dap contact cement in a can. I also have some spray adhesive but i think the contact cement works better. I think the spray is better suited for foam vs bare leather. Thanks! Now, I am waiting on Krylon plastic paint to arrive so I can refurbish the seat belt receptacle button. It will be the finishing touch.

Leave a comment:

• Skarpa
    replied
    Again: Looks very good!

Leave a comment:

• efficient
    replied
    what kind of glue did you use for the cardboard?

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Thanks. I got the backboard done with the leather supplied by LSeat. I wish the piece was a little bigger. It just barely wraps around the edges but it'll be fine. Maybe I will stretch it out a bit next time for better fitment.

Can't wait to take it for a drive with the new leather.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-19-2019, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skarpa
    replied
    Looking very good!

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Yeah it's been a great experience. I'm very happy with how they turned out. There are still creases from the vacuum sealed packaging but I've read I can steam them out. Anyway, here's one finished seat...one more to go.

Most people will just reuse the backboards or paint them but the LSeat kit comes with a new leather piece which is a nice touch and will complete the look of the seat.

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    Refreshing the seats will make such a difference, especially to a car as nice as yours is already. Once you have the leather all secured and can get 90% of the wrinkles out just by fastening it tight, use a heat gun or a hair dryer to smooth out the last little bit, works really well to take your seats from backyard DIY to near professional level appearance. Will be very rewarding when you're done.

Man I love the look of a clean MTech 1

Leave a comment:

• Skarpa
    replied
    I'm sure you'll get the seats looking great. The seat cushioning depresses with time and the foam or waddle in reupholstered seats is to counter this and to make sure the upholstery material doesn't hang loose but I agree with you, it's often overdone.
    Last edited by Skarpa; 10-07-2019, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    So I've been driving the car the last few months and observed coolant loss without any leakage. It's not mixing with the oil either, at least doesn't appear to be. Block test confirmed my suspicions of bad head gasket or cracked head/block as I have exhaust gases in the cooling system as well. Looks like the head will have to come off but for now I can still drive around if I keep adding water. So I'm debating how to proceed since the ship that did the swap is incompetent so there's no way in hell I'd let them touch the car again let alone change the headgasket.

In hopes of finally taking the car to it's first show since I've owned it going on 3 years now, I started reupholstering the front seats. I've heard good things about Lseat covers and at $299 for the front seats, they are well priced for leather covers. Originally I was going to dye my old blue covers black but since the drivers bolster is torn on one of the seats, it made more sense to put new black covers on.

One of the things that always bothered me about reupholstered seats is how taut or bulky/puffy the cushions appear to be. These covers, like most aftermarket covers have a foam backing stitched behind them while the originals do not. I opted to cut the foam away from the bolsters.

I have no prior experience with upholstery work but I thought I'd give it a try since most places want $150-200 a seat just to install the covers. It's very tedious work getting it fitted just right and cutting holes in the right places for the mechanisms and handles but it's well worth the time spent. I should have both seats done by next week or so. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-07-2019, 02:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X