Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyboyx
    replied
    man, i can't wait to see the progress of those quarter panels. i checked out the link you posted above with the touring. it speaks highly of the work that shop does, but i was disappointed there weren't any details or photos of the actual nitty gritty. the text promises them but doesn't deliver.

i hope (pray) you have the opportunity to post TONS of pictures.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 08-17-2017, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Aaron always goes balls deep, never believe him if he says, "just the tip"

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
    I have loved binge reading this thread.
    I wish you well with he car.

My S14 Powered MTech cab is part way down the road you went as in there is a whole E30 M3 under the car, but you went all the way in.
    Looks like a great project.
    Kudos.

Thanks Jimmy! I'd love to see a thread on your car, I do love the Mtech cabrios.

And yes I went all the way in.. Not sure if it was the smartest choice, but here I am.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    I have loved binge reading this thread.
    I wish you well with he car.

My S14 Powered MTech cab is part way down the road you went as in there is a whole E30 M3 under the car, but you went all the way in.
    Looks like a great project.
    Kudos.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    So were you able to get the OEM vert quarter panels?

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Alright, time for another long overdue update. The car is out of my garage. I dropped it off yesterday at the body shop.

Untitled by IronJoeT16S, on Flickr

Without going into too much detail, the sheet metal work will be handled by the person who did the M3 bodywork conversion on this:

Get tips on washing your car and insight into our traditional, waterless, bucket-free, and low water cleaning products.

This project of course is more straightforward than the Detail Wagen, as there is no moving the b pillar or anything of that nature. I'm unbelievably excited that this project is getting done the *right way. It took me a while to nail down the specifics, but this guy's work is incredible.

I'm a DIY guy through and through but I'm smart enough to know when I'm out of my element. There's no way I could perform this work at the quality level it will be done.

More updates to come!

Leave a comment:

• GunnarE30
    replied
    That car looks great! Can I ask how you're going to do the rear fenders? I may have missed it but I don't see it anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Looking really good, wish I could see this in person when its done.

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Teardown begins! So far I've pulled the interior, weatherstripping, trim, and the convertible top. I have the rear glass assemblies out, fronts are next.

If I squint reeeally hard I can see progress :o

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by bruner View Post
    Lookin good. Nice sill covers btw. She's gonna be killer when finished.
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the interior at this point. Now to tear it apart!

Leave a comment:

• bruner
    replied
    Lookin good. Nice sill covers btw. She's gonna be killer when finished.

Leave a comment:

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
    yeah, got a little sidetracked earlier this summer with my rescue project, a severely neglected E46 M3. I've now got it to the point of being my daily driver and I'm loving it. But now it's time to get back to work on this!

P1010012 by IronJoeT16S, on Flickr

Thanks! I'm just making the best out of a bad situation.
    Beautiful! I know what you mean by getting side tracked. My E38 needs a suspension overhaul and its a daily in the winter, the E93 needed cleaning and some basic maintenance, all of that stuff I actually love doing but it takes away from the E30.

Keep up the awesome work.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    ^

Leave a comment:

• IronJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by delamaize View Post
    WEEE!!! UPDATES!!! hahah
    yeah, got a little sidetracked earlier this summer with my rescue project, a severely neglected E46 M3. I've now got it to the point of being my daily driver and I'm loving it. But now it's time to get back to work on this!

P1010012 by IronJoeT16S, on Flickr

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
    Sorry about your car but this is awesome!
    Thanks! I'm just making the best out of a bad situation.

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    Wow. Amazing project, I can't believe I had not seen it.

Sorry about your car but this is awesome!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X