Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job so far. What color do you plan on painting it when you are done?
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      Great job so far. What color do you plan on painting it when you are done?
      Pepto pink I think. ;D

Comment

Currently chasing down electrical issues after the swap. For some reason, the car is hard to start (it cranks for a while before it starts popping and firing) so I believe it must be a fuel issue. Maybe the fuel pump isn't turning on right away... If it's been running a while, and I turn it off and on again it fires right up. So fuel? Cold-start settings? Other? I'd love your thoughts, r3v.

Also the tach is intermittent, the brake check light is on, and there are several other little issues to track down. Once she's ready for some real driving I'm going to start disassembling the rear end (interior, trunk, etc) for the bodywork portion of the project.

Here's a picture I liked.
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
          Currently chasing down electrical issues after the swap. For some reason, the car is hard to start (it cranks for a while before it starts popping and firing) so I believe it must be a fuel issue. Maybe the fuel pump isn't turning on right away... If it's been running a while, and I turn it off and on again it fires right up. So fuel? Cold-start settings? Other? I'd love your thoughts, r3v.
          Fuel is draining back in the lines, and requiring you to re-build pressure in the rail before it will fire/run on 4 cyls. Install a pressure gauge in-line if you want to verify.

Also, what was your shim thickness for the 2 new exhaust valves vs. the rest of your shims?
          Below the radar...

Comment

So I think I've fixed my slow starting problem by filling the car with fresh gas. Also I'm replacing the fuel filter and all the lines just in case. I've got a few little issues to work out but it's running well enough to drive to get the bodywork done.

Just for fun, I was playing around with the vinyl cutter and made this. Not sure if I'll keep it but it was kind of a cool idea someone suggested. "Spirit of Henna Red"

More (big) updates coming soon!

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
              So I think I've fixed my slow starting problem by filling the car with fresh gas. Also I'm replacing the fuel filter and all the lines just in case. I've got a few little issues to work out but it's running well enough to drive to get the bodywork done.

Just for fun, I was playing around with the vinyl cutter and made this. Not sure if I'll keep it but it was kind of a cool idea someone suggested. "Spirit of Henna Red"

More (big) updates coming soon!
              Keep the Decal man, It's awesome, and a fitting tribute.
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Small update, got a few minor things done to get her more roadworthy. I changed the fuel filter, adjusted the driver door window, and most importantly, got the brake lights working. I also put the hood on, for its first real adventure is today. I have much more of this little stuff to tackle. Turn signals don't work, tach is intermittent, gas gauge is inop, etc.

Another issue was that the wheel/tire and spring setup was far too aggressive for non-M3 rear wheel wells. I ended up adding 1" spring spacers to raise the rear until the M3 bodywork is completed.

4x4 rear end :p
                Last edited by IronJoe; 07-15-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Man, I love this forum.

I was really stumped at why my turn signals weren't working, I knew I had them working before I tore the car apart. The turn signal stalk created a strange "buzzing" noise whenever I engaged it - then I found this thread:

Apparently when I did the dash install, I had swapped the four-way flasher switch with the rear window defrost switch. Totally spelled out in that thread from almost ten years ago! Such an easy fix as I was ready to tear into the wiring which would have been all for nothing.

Nothing new other than I've put some more miles on the car. Drove it to my friend's shop while it was snowing, boy that was weird.

Comment

cant wait to see it in person!

1988 325is S50 in-progress.
                    http://www.facebook.com/E30LocalCrew
                    Few pictures:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255061

Comment

Originally posted by Den_k321 View Post
                      cant wait to see it in person!
                      Thanks Dennis! Hope you and the family are doing well :)

Small update, I met with the body shop yesterday and we started planning out the work. Since this is the most crucial aspect of the build, I am taking my time with specific measurements, etc.

I've started measuring and marking up the new quarter panels and the current panel on the body. I'm pretty excited!

Comment

Man, I can't wait to read through all of your documentation on this aspect. Do you somehow have the bottom portion of your front fenders mounted?
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          Do you somehow have the bottom portion of your front fenders mounted?
                          Yep!

Comment

que paso?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Updates please!! Such an inspirational project
                              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Yes, I am still here. No, it isn't done yet

Small updates. I got my Sport Evo sill covers in from Germany, what a delicious waste of money.

I think I finally have the resources in place now to complete the rear bodywork - I have a shop lined up to do the work. I am still waiting on OEM inner wheel arches - I refuse to do this project any other way.
                                Last edited by IronJoe; 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X