New to the family, but NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the family, but NEED HELP!

Hey guys, I just bought my first e30. Its an '89 325is with 150k.

I drove it 10 hours after I bought it when I and it worked fine, but I have increasing hesitation issues with it/it feels a little bogged down. When Im on the gas or coming out of any gear its shudders periodically (very similar feeling you get after a rough shift and it bounces a little).

Im trying to diagnose whats going on, and Im just learning so I need help. I tried taking out the spark plugs and cleaning them and they were nasty. Im definitely buying new ones asap. (would love advice on what spark plugs are best). Im all ears.

PS. IM DRIVING IT 8 HOURS TO ORLANDO TOMORROW, IS THIS ISSUES GOING TO RUIN MY ENGINE??

Im about to run seafoam through it now via the break booster and putting some in the tank.

These are all I have for now, more to come!

These are the current spark plugs (I know they're but bad, but im ignorant, so HOW bad are they really?)
    Last edited by Jdub; 05-23-2016, 05:47 PM.

bosch or ngk are the plugs i would go with. be sure to replace the cap, rotor and wires too.

orlando is a hell of a lot further from denver than 8 hrs.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      HOLY DOODLE it's like 27-28 hours!
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I few things you can do for free, like cleaning the AFM and ICV. I figure since you're on the road, it needs to be quick and cheap. You could also throw new plugs in it, and check the condition of the cap and rotor. Seafoam probably won't hurt as long as the rest of the engine is in decent shape. How long has it been since the timing belt was replaced??

Comment

Darin is right, lots of stuff can be done cheap, or free, i had a friend by a car, was idling to high, turns out some build up in the throttle body was keeping the flap open a smidge

at the very least, cleaning some of those items, will eliminate the possibility of them not functioning correctly, due to being gummed up. Id replace the fuel filter also, can do it without jacks or anything, and its like 10$

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

bosch or ngk are the plugs i would go with. be sure to replace the cap, rotor and wires too.

Lol, Im currently in Atlanta, Im going to be in Orlando for the summer.

And the timing belt was done 40k miles ago/8 years ago (this is the first thing I plan on doing once in Orlando)

Could timing belt be the issue?

Also, since Im learning from scratch, how would I learn how to do easy DIY stuff like that? I need to learn what the rotor and the cap and very simple stuff like that actually is.. I know, I know nothing but I gotta start somewhere.

Comment

8 years.. sheesh. that's a ticking time bomb, man. I wouldn't drive anywhere without replacing it first, except maybe straight to a shop to have it replaced.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Jdub View Post
                Lol, Im currently in Atlanta, Im going to be in Orlando for the summer.

And the timing belt was done 40k miles ago/8 years ago (this is the first thing I plan on doing once in Orlando)

Could timing belt be the issue?

Also, since Im learning from scratch, how would I learn how to do easy DIY stuff like that? I need to learn what the rotor and the cap and very simple stuff like that actually is.. I know, I know nothing but I gotta start somewhere.
                Basically if you have a question about the car search it on Google. It will provide you with tons of link from this forum and others all related to what you want to know. And if you can't find the info make a thread in this forum. This method has helped me alot since I bought my e30 a few months ago. 1 thing I learned: expect to spend some money on maintenance at the beginning, after that just have fun. I'm still in the maintenance part of my build lol

Really not trying to be a dick about the "Google search" comment. It really does work if you use the right words or questions
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
                Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  8 years.. sheesh. that's a ticking time bomb, man. I wouldn't drive anywhere without replacing it first, except maybe straight to a shop to have it replaced.
                  It makes me really nervous man, I put pretty much every last penny into it to buy it, and I don't have the money to get it fixed until June 9th when I get my first paycheck. If you were me would you leave it back in GA until I get the timing belt done and then have my dad drive it down to me? Or you think as long as I'm gentle with it I can make it the 8 hour drive and then get it worked on down there?

I know you didn't mean to sound like an asshole man lol, I appreciate it.

Comment

An ex gf's e30 snapped the belt accelerating from a stop light. I guarantee you she wasn't the type to get hard on the gas either.

If you can't afford to replace you, you could at least pull the upper timing cover off and just look at it. If it's shredding due to a bad tensioner, stop driving it asap. If it's cracked to hell, stop driving it. If it has no cracks or little tiny cracks, you'll probably be ok.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Are there any particular brand names for the cap, rotor, or wires that are best? Ive heard too many times that the issues can be crappy parts.

Thanks Kershaw, Im going to go do that now! Hopefully getting to the point where I can inspect the timing belt doesn't require taking a ton of other stuff off too?

Comment

I wouldn't drive that thing with that timing belt. It would probably be cheaper to ship the car to FL than if the timing belt broke on the way down.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

if you break the motor because the 8 year old belt snaps, are you going to be able to afford to rebuild the head?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The parts to do the timing belt cost about $120. The cost to rebuild the engine are well over $1000. I am sure that you can buy the parts for the timing belt (water pump, an extra gasket, tensioner, spring/pin, and the belt) from Blunttech and ask someone here to help you with the actual wrenching.

It takes 3.5 - 4 hrs from start to finish if you know what you are doing, and if you were near me I'd do it for some pizza and beer. I am also sure that there is someone near where you are on this forum that would probably do the same to help you out!

Also, if money is really an issue, DO THE TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP FIRST! Plugs, rotor, and cap cane be done later. The engine will run with shitty plugs for an 8 hr trip and be fine. It will not run once the timing belt snaps.
                            sigpic
                            1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                            I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              If you can't afford to replace you, you could at least pull the upper timing cover off and just look at it. If it's shredding due to a bad tensioner, stop driving it asap. If it's cracked to hell, stop driving it. If it has no cracks or little tiny cracks, you'll probably be ok.
                              This is the best advice if you don't want to do the job yourself. But seriously, a timing belt kits is $42.66 (https://www.blunttech.com/products/976921) and a water pump is $56.37 (https://www.blunttech.com/products/43945). So for less than $100 you know you'll be fine.

There are plenty of guys in ATL that can help you do this job, and it can be done in less than 2 hours if you have all the tools/parts ahead of time (and nothing breaks). I would post something in the regional section and offer to buy them dinner and beer for their time if you're really broke, or some cash if you have it. Then you make friends and learn how to be self sufficient with your car.

sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                              X