No announcement yet.

Well That Escalated Quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping the bottom end off at a machine shop. First time so not sure what to ask for. Was going to ask to have it dipped, check the bore and hone, check pistons then do bearings and rings. Should that cover it? Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Morning r3v. I need some help. The machine shop says they need to bore out the block so I need slightly oversized pistons. I am not sure what to do right now. Is there a source for reasoanbly priced slighty oversized pistons or should I just bore it out to a 2.9? I am still planning on installing the turbo kit and I have had the 885 head rebuilt with a stock cam. Not sure where to go with my build right now. I can't see spending $1,100 on JE pistons plus the machine shop labor adds up to a lot of $$$

Comment

Mahle +.5mm OEM replacement pistons are very reasonable - about half the JE.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Mahle +.5mm OEM replacement pistons are very reasonable - about half the JE.
          Awesome thank you! $89 bucks a piston right now which is very reasonable Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

make sure your shop has the pistons in hand BEFORE doing any machine work
            Paynemw
            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
              make sure your shop has the pistons in hand BEFORE doing any machine work
              +1 for some great advise. Any need to upgrade to h beam connecting rods or am I safe reusing the oem I took off? Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                Awesome thank you! $89 bucks a piston right now which is very reasonable Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
                The mahle 84.5 are on order and Glyco + .25mm rod and main bearings. Is there a good quality decently priced h beam out there? Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Went with Molnar. Overkill for the one bar of boost I plan to run but should make for a stout engine Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where did you get the pistons from? OEM Overbore?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

also interested in the pistons. I just picked up an eta block for a similar build and am trying to source the parts for a possible over bore if needed.
                      "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
                      Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Where did you get the pistons from? OEM Overbore?
                        Find Mahle , 0811502 Piston; Oversize 0.50mm with Rings; 84.480mm 11251714810 at discount prices in our extensive BMW auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of Mahle parts online. 6 per car. Fits BMW 325i, 325is, 325iC, 325iX. 0811502 W0133-1662980

Comment

Hooked up a used Diyautotune plug and play today. The good news is it started but it sounded rough and the tach didn't match tuner studio. Still running Naturally Aspirated with a narrow band O2 but I hooked up the pressure line and installed a GM IAT. Never worked with megasquirt before but it looked like the coolant temp wasn't working. Any idea where I am going wrong?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I was able to calibrate my IAT and coolant sensor. Is it normal for the coolant sensor to be at around 60 and fuel pressure at 140kpa when I just have the MSPNP on the bench not connected to the car? I was unable to calibrate the stock TPs. Do my maps look reasonable? Also any idea why dash rpm would be off vs mspnp
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tiger_e30; 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Wired in the lc-2 using the stock o2 sensor cable and connector I added what the wire colors and pins were for my application below. The lc2 has a wideband and narrowband output

Attached Files

Comment

Found out the pnp isn't wired to control the stock 02 sensor so the relay isn't powering up for lc2

Comment

Working...
                                X