No announcement yet.

Half-Life | '91 DS 318iS Slicktop | Track & Weekend Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's surprising to see such a track focussed car not bent up or hacked into going fast.

This is very nice
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Hey all. Did some small projects on the car recently that I thought I'd share. Also have some pics from some recent area "meets." We will finally be heading back to the track a couple of times in October! Almost everything car-related got cancelled in September due to Hurricane Irma and damaged one to our local track.

As a side note, I've been thinking about what's next for the car now that I don't have any major projects on the short list. I know that some time down the road I want to convert the suspension over to coilovers. Secondly, I do still have a PNP Megasquirt ready to go into the car. I want to do a baseline dyno soon, then perhaps install the MS and see how much I gain by deleting the AFM. However, after that, I have really gotten the itch to do an RHD Engineering ITB kit with the carbon plenum. I think the gains would be good with my built motor, and we all know ITB's are just awesome! I also want to start looking into some new (lighter) wheels, perhaps in 17" for a better selection of track tires.

Any feedback in tire and wheel size would be appreciated. I like the ZII Star Specs in 225/45-16 I've been running, but I know there are a lot of new/better/faster tires on the market these days. However, the select in E30 ~24" diameters really sucks!

In the mean time some of the interior projects I was working on include putting speaker covers and wiring covers back in to cover up the rocker panels. I reused the stock rubber covers for now. They suck. I want to trace them and recut them out of ABS plastic down the road. To hide the wiring behind the speaker grills, I cut out some pieces of suede and glued them over the opening on the back side. I will be using the rest of the suede to cover the roof trim piece that surrounds the sun visors/check panel (which will be deleted), and the a-pillar trim. Those pieces are only a couple of pounds total, and it's nice having the sun visors I think.

These are the stock rubber trim pieces, which I ripped in a few places. They don't get noticed much once in the car, and they hide the wiring well.

I forgot to get an after picture, but this is essentially the area I was covering up on both sides of the car. It's also nice on the driver's side as it tucks away a lot of the wiring that runs around the dead pedal area.

Suede patches cut and 3M spray adhesive'd to the backs of the speaker grills.

The number one question I get about this car is "what's in it?!" The straight exhaust and lopey cam with 1,000 RPM idle sounds really awesome. I've been wanting to toss the 318iS badge back on the trunk just for shits and giggles. It took a lot of searching due to Photobucket broken links, but I finally found the diagram with the proper spacing for the badge on the trunk. The 318iS using the same pattern as the iX.

In other news I finally got to weigh the car. It came in at 2452 with the spare tire in the trunk, and about a 3/4 full gas tank. The spare weighs 41lbs, so with half a tank I'd say the car is easily in the 2,400lb range! I was going to guess it was closer to 2,500 after the roll bar went in. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight.

And here's some random pictures of the car from recent events.

Last edited by Digitalwave; 11-07-2022, 11:25 AM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          Any feedback in tire and wheel size would be appreciated. I like the ZII Star Specs in 225/45-16 I've been running, but I know there are a lot of new/better/faster tires on the market these days. However, the select in E30 ~24" diameters really sucks!
          The Direzza ZIII is out in Japan and I think we'll get it in the first few months of next year.

I just got some ZII star specs that I'm excited to get onto my car

Comment

ZII Star Specs are really good tires. They have just been surpassed over the years by tires like the RS3, R888, RA1, RE71R, etc. I'll keep an eye out for the ZIII's! I hadn't heard about those yet. That should be around the time frame that my ZII's will need replacing.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Wonderful build!

also: PM sent
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How much weight difference is in the carbon hood?
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                  How much weight difference is in the carbon hood?
                  I believe this VIS hood is about 25lbs lighter than stock.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Can we get an exhaust sound video? I want to hear this nasty thing.

Comment

Thanks man! I have some in car videos I've been meaning to upload. I would like to get a good one of the exhaust note externally as well.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Awesome build! Always liked your car !
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thanks Jean!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Did you have to roll your front fenders to fit the 225/45s on the 16x8 et18? How much room do you have from the tire to the fender? I'm setting up a similar wheel/tire combo at the moment, but have a 10mm spacer (putting me at et13) and am trying to figure out if 225/45s will fit.

Your car is awesome!
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Did you have to roll your front fenders to fit the 225/45s on the 16x8 et18? How much room do you have from the tire to the fender? I'm setting up a similar wheel/tire combo at the moment, but have a 10mm spacer (putting me at et13) and am trying to figure out if 225/45s will fit.

Your car is awesome!
                              Thanks man! The front fenders are totally stock, haven't touched them at all. One of our autocross courses is extremely bumpy, and I also like to attack the curbs on the track as much as I can. They have never rubbed at all in the front. I have about 2.1* of camber and the ride height is about 12.25-12.5" from the center of the hub to the fender lip in the front (about 1 finger gap or so).

ET13 should easily fit if you are able to run a little more camber than I am able to. If not, you might possibly have to raise the car a little higher than mine is. I'd say these 2 pictures should give you a good idea of front clearance with my setup:

I've been shopping for new wheels, but haven't found much that ticks all my boxes. I'm not sure if I want to stick with 16's, or move to 17's. It seems like there are good tire choices in 235/40-17.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving all. I really need to update this thread over the weekend. I've got videos, dyno'd the car, been installing the Megasquirt, bought some new wheels... ;D

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                                X