No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully the new tech can help you sort out all the small gremlins keeping you from driving this thing till now. Your car looks really good in person too Simon.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
      Hopefully the new tech can help you sort out all the small gremlins keeping you from driving this thing till now. Your car looks really good in person too Simon.
      Thanks Ed, she definitely looks good sitting there, but its much sexier cruising around... need to drive ASAP
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Great progress Simon! I bet you're excited to get behind the wheel again.
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
          Great progress Simon! I bet you're excited to get behind the wheel again.
          Thanks Aaron, cant wait to drive it. I think it will be driving this week, but theres also rain in the forecast later this week
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Well... the car is home, but it didnt come home the way I hoped. Im overall a bit disappointed with M's Factory. Miki did a decent job on the car, but ignoring the fact that the car wasnt driveable were the minor things he simply overlooked. On the other hand he did a decent job with some of the wiring I requested of him. The kill switch and the electric fuel pump are wired up nicely and function perfectly. so there's the positive side...

Let me give you some pics to look at and then I will give you the bad news.

The car is misfiring.

He diagnosed it as a carb-related issue isolated to cylinder #2 and tonight I spent some time confirming that it is in fact cylinder #2, and that its NOT ignition related. That leaves the problem to be either air or fuel related. Being that I don't have a compression tester with me, I basically stopped there and dealt with the other minor things that he missed/ didn't do. I'm happy to hear her running again, but bummed that I still have work ahead of me, and I definitely didn't like the bill I was handed even though nothing really appeared outrageous other than the soft brakes. He replaced a leaky rear brake cylinder and then bled the system, so why the soft brakes still?.. Rest assured I will discuss that with him once I figure out this misfire... at the end of the month. Im going on vacation later this week and will be gone until the end of the month.

Another month with no Roadster driving= sad Simon.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

What’s the plug look like in two? It’ll give you a basic idea of what’s going on.. c’mon man, 50 year old cars require 50 year old diagnostics... Remember this old picture from Chiltons past: Could be a valve? Check the tail pipe when it’s running and warmed up - moisture? Does it smell like unburnt fuel.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Well, had a nice little vacation and upon returning I jumped right back into it. Got myself a compression tester and ran the numbers. Glad to see they still look good.

These are cold numbers with a dash of oil added in the spark plug hole

#2 (This is the cylinder we are having the issues with)

So with that looking good, theres a few theories running around but basically I discovered that over about 2500rpms it seems to really smooth out, so I said **** it, I want to drive it. But I had to deal with one issue that the car came home with, a super soft pedal. Rigged up something to hold the brake pedal down, and cracked the bleeder on the master cylinder and a bit of air came out followed by fluid so I closed her up and immediately had the brake pedal feel Im used to. OK lets do this!..

It's far from 100% but man of man did I enjoy driving it around. I put about 10 miles on it, though likely less as the speedo is being turned by a 4.38 diff and the original 3.7 speedo gear. Regardless, when I had some open spots and could lay into it, all madness ensued ... in a good way. Felt good to drive it, but Im extremely excited for what 100% will feel like. Sadly, that means more money and more time parked as I am going to wait for the recommended man for the job, a gent by the name of Taka Soto whos about 60 miles away in Rancho Cucamonga. He's also booked into November, so unless I can find a way to tinker with it and solve what appears to be a pig rich mixture, and possibly a twisted throttle shaft, shes back in the garage. Maybe its time to put the hood back on now haha

Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Sadly, that means more money and more time parked as I am going to wait for the recommended man for the job, a gent by the name of Taka Soto whos about 60 miles away in Rancho Cucamonga.
                  Kyusha House Taka?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                    Kyusha House Taka?
                    Yup Edit: just spent the last hour checking out the dude and shop more. Whoa, finally seems like I’m getting the car in the right hands.
                    Last edited by 2mAn; 10-27-2019, 10:48 PM.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

I cant catch a break... car was supposed to go to Kyusha House Taka today after waiting a few weeks for an opening but then AAA screwed the pooch...

maybe I will get to drive it comfortably in December... for now she can move under her own power, but very unhappily. She got out of the garage waiting for her "uber" but the uber would never come... so she went back into the garage... ugh

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Car is looking good, Simon!

I thought you would be whipping this around by now.. Bummer.

I haven't read back too far, because I'm lazy, but you're just dealing with a misfire and soft brakes?
                        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                        Q
                        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          Car is looking good, Simon!

I thought you would be whipping this around by now.. Bummer.

I haven't read back too far, because I'm lazy, but you're just dealing with a misfire and soft brakes?
                          Thanks, I spent a few minutes cleaning the dust off and cleaning her while waiting for the tow truck, speaking to her nicely, but it wasnt meant to be...

I took care of the brakes, but the car is running super rich. The guy Im taking it to is an expert on Mikuni carbs so he will be correcting the tune. Car was supposed to be there by ~10am, but when it was nearly 2pm and they still hadnt picked up the car before its trek from Inglewood to Rancho Cucamonga the guy made me reschedule to Monday.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

That's frustrating. Logistics can take anyone's sanity.

Comment

simon, i you are running dual solexes have you checked what type of jets you have? there are several different sizes. i had a 2000 roadster with that set up. running the b cam too? fun car when dialed in.
                              1989 325ix(sold)
                              1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                That's frustrating. Logistics can take anyone's sanity.
                                and finding a solid guy to tune carbs.
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X