Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Ha Ha - yep. The allure of BaT vs. Ebay or other similar sight-unseen auctions is that they "curate" the offerings. In reality this does nothing to protect the seller or buyer, has zero meaning for the quality of the car, and only improves the chances for a sale...on which they profit. It's quite brilliant.
    Totally agree. I'm also of the firm belief that many of the commentators are shills. The ones at the end who pop in and say "Amazing car, GLWA" or something. Not even sure they know what they are looking at other than color, shiny + 4 wheels. Could even literally be bots. The only purpose of these comments are to boost the bidding. Great for seller and BaT, but results in over-inflated pricing, which over time ends up being a bigger problem.

Not that the good cars aren't worth the money (like this one from Jordan), but rather that the turd cars come out, slightly polished, and still sell.

My opinion of course, worth what you paid for it :-)

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
    1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
    1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
    2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Jordan, after reading what you wrote about the process, I'm likely going to pivot away from BaT for the sale of my low-mile E36 M3 and my E30 when it's finally done. I don't know where I'll sell them but for BaT to throw you to the wolves on such a well-executed build... screw them.

They have plenty of business, they don't need mine and I don't need to support a company that doesn't have passion behind it.

I'm glad you were able to get another deal done. The car deserved it.
      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze
        If I understand correctly, BaT discusses the Reserve Price with you. If you're Ok with the price, why should you worry?
        Even if they agreed on my reserves, I'm not doing business with non-enthusiasts and that's kinda all there is to it. I keep realizing where my heart isn't, and I'm naive enough to think that I can still change the world through my actions.

I feel bad that the realization had to be on the back of Jordan's experience, but he provided an honest perspective from someone who's active within the community.
        1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post

Even if they agreed on my reserves, I'm not doing business with non-enthusiasts and that's kinda all there is to it. I keep realizing where my heart isn't, and I'm naive enough to think that I can still change the world through my actions.
          Just post your cars on the local Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and forums with the price that is $4,000 less - the BaT fees + shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

While I feel this conversation is rather... uh... irrelevant my answer would be desirability.
            Absolutely.
            The iX is an outlier of E30s and definitely is not as desirable to most people as an M3, 318is, or 325is. Yes they're great cars, and yes they are cool, but they're just more niche.
            Hell, plenty of E30 fanatics don't even care about the iX.
            Also very poorly optioned, early model isn't as desirable as late unless it is Euro spec in North America.
            I think the price for that iX is solely for the mileage and condition, nothing else.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
              Evaporator installed with ample foam surrounding the sealing area to ensure 100% of the precious refrigerated air stays on its intended flight plan.

Putting my IHKS back together and using these pics as a reference. Can someone confirm that the black blend door lever in Jordan's picture was installed wrong or correctly? I believe it should be pointing up instead of down. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post

Putting my IHKS back together and using these pics as a reference. Can someone confirm that the black blend door lever in Jordan's picture was installed wrong or correctly? I believe it should be pointing up instead of down. Am I wrong?
                Seems to me you are correct, where it is sitting as pictured is not its intended orientation.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Jordan - are there any updates on where this beautiful car ended up? Would love to keep following it...

Comment

Originally posted by AlpinStar View Post
                    Jordan - are there any updates on where this beautiful car ended up? Would love to keep following it...
                    The new owner is a long time forum member and won't be a stranger. I am keeping the vehicle for him until the winter precipitation clears out in his locale so the car and be transported cleanly.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Jordan - awesome, glad to hear it went to someone on the forum. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
                      X