No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the profile gasket flange surface on the head?
    Pitted?
    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
      How is the profile gasket flange surface on the head?
      Pitted?
      They always are, but this one doesn't look that bad really. You in the market? The head is available. I sent the parts car head to my machinist for refreshing and a port / valve job.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        Powdercoat like all things... you get what you pay for. Place that powdercoat wheels on the cheap don't do any real prep work. They wipe the wheel down, fill any many gashes and then apply powder right over whatever is already they're. While the powder applies and bakes smooth, it has no mechanical bond to the substrate and and chips, rips off easily.

I use Precision Powder Coating here in Spring. They are the most expensive place in town. They blast everything 100% with coarse grit and then hot wash the parts to ensure complete cleanliness. The put a 2 year no BS warranty on everything they do.

They have some demo parts in the office and a demo hammer, they are always happy to beat the snot out of the demo part, and I've seen them take a pocket knife to them too lol. Hammer doesn't chip, only mars. Knife won't chip only shave.

Yes, its all going out for yellow zinc chromate plating this week.
        Ah deluxe. That's what I'll be doing then.

Thanks
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Planning on running everything over to the platers today.

Bead blasted the last batch of hardware, everything taken off the engine on tear down.

I dropped those guys in the tumbler last night, should be ready to pull out by now.

I also had to deal with the differential vent tube, which needs to be plated as well, but can't be plated while installed in the cover. Looked like it was just pressed into place. Hmmm

Yes, that'll do it

Comment

Well today was kind of a bust.

I hauled all my hardware down to the platers just to be turned away. Turns out since I used them last ~2yrs ago they changed the equipment they use to process small batches like mine, and the plating tank bins will allow anything with a 1/4" or smaller diameter to fall through into the tank never to be seen again.

I took all my stuff home and them spent the next 5 hours sorting through the full hardware pile, twice, and picking out anything smaller than 3/8" to be safe... and wired them up as they asked... man are my hands sore.

Everything is ready (again) and I'll plan to shoot down to the plater again tomorrow.

Comment

Whoa - that's a lot of extra time/effort - bummer that they changed the process. Looking forward to your progress and keep up the strong work. I really admire your attention to detail.

MJ

Comment

jesus! can't they just put it all in a mesh basket?

man, i respect your work like none other. you are probably the only one i would trust to do work on one of my cars.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I love the attention to detail throughout your entire refresh. It's a dream restoration! Too bad about the platers and the extra work.
                  1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                  SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                  Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

I'd be tempted to just find someone else. Plating can't be that complicated.

Comment

How long does it take to get it back? The plater here has a 6-8 week lead time. Im getting impatient lol

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I dropped off everything thing morning, guys were happy with the wiring work.

There are not many platers in Houston that I know of, and I've been working with this one for going on 8 years and have always been happy with their work. At the end of the day the 103 pounds of hardware I dropped is a piss ant job for them. so I can't blame them for not catering to something like this when they only charge a $60 batch fee.

They told me 5-7 business days, which is pretty normal for them from past experience. I'll probably get everything back Jan 8-10 I think, because they are closed Mon-Tues next week for New Years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                          I dropped off everything thing morning, guys were happy with the wiring work.

There are not many platers in Houston that I know of, and I've been working with this one for going on 8 years and have always been happy with their work. At the end of the day the 103 pounds of hardware I dropped is a piss ant job for them. so I can't blame them for not catering to something like this when they only charge a $60 batch fee.

They told me 5-7 business days, which is pretty normal for them from past experience. I'll probably get everything back Jan 8-10 I think, because they are closed Mon-Tues next week for New Years.

Damn I’m jealous. The place mine is at is the only plater on this side of the state so they get packed.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

With the hardware off the plate that's left me to finish working on the chassis harness I started on the weekend before. The ABS wheel speed sensor repair kit harnesses came in, and I also managed to find a solution for the dry rotted brake pad wear sensor harnesses which unfortunately are not available new.

Pro tip, SRS harness wiring is the same size jacket as the brake pad wear sensor, but isn't made out of shit that dry rots. Damn wire colors are even the same. Since I'm removing SRS from this car I used that wiring as a donor to repair the brake pad wear sensor harness, sliding the rubber boots and hangers off the original junk and over the new.

Before:

Nice western union splices, staggered and heatshrunk:

After:

After that I continued to work my way through the harness, removing the old sticky Coroplast tape, wiping the harness with a lacquer thinner damped microfiber, and rewrapping in new fleece Tesa tape.

I'm nearly done but 4 25m rolls was not enough. I ordered 2 more rolls which should be more than enough to get it done.

Comment

Beautiful harness. How do you properly solder that old, automotive wire? I can never get it to wet, even using tons of flux and tons of heat.
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              My M60 V8 swap thread here
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                                Beautiful harness. How do you properly solder that old, automotive wire? I can never get it to wet, even using tons of flux and tons of heat.
                                I know what you're talking about, that brown kinda flash corroded wire that solder just won't stick to. Enough heat seems to make it melt into it for me, but that usually boils the jacket off.

These wires were not an issue, the copper was clean and virgin. It took solder smoothly at low heat, you can see the jackets were all happy.

If you can't make a reliable solder joint just cut it back and use a crimp connector. In most cases I prefer a crimp connector anywhere where movement is likely, the connection is more reliable when properly crimped. I use and recommend BMW's own wire crimps, a BMW approved harness repair device.

Cable connector 0.2-0.5mm 61138353746
                                Cable connector 1.0-0.75mm 61138353747
                                Cable connector 1.5-2.5mm 61138353748

They are about a buck a piece. You'll need some proper crimpers to use them to their fullest potential.

One of the last 2 black carpets in the country came in today:

Actually they both did, but I left the other at the dealer for Jon to pick up tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X