Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by redbull 325is
    replace that cam seal. good luck
    Point well taken...will order it this week...hopefully I can pick it up locally.

    Leave a comment:


  • redbull 325is
    replied
    replace that cam seal. good luck

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Thanks for the comments....I've moved on into the engine bay....to tackle the timing belt and the other V-belts....look what I found..



    Basically I'm not sure if anything was ever done on this vert...seems like a LOT of dirt past the dust shield for relatively low miles. In any case...I didn't get anything quite completed yesterday but the tear down is in full effect. There is an inordinate amount of oil buildup on the block as a whole and quite honestly before I go replacing ALL the gaskets/seals I need to get her running and properly cleaned to be able to identify the problem areas.

    So I noticed that one of the nipples off the thermostat housing has broken off...its at the bottom of the housing...I'm wondering if this whole thing is replacable or if I'm going to have to work around that.

    Thermostat housing is the one that blinged out




    Also could someone confirm that I have the crank pulley lined up properly with the lower cam belt cover?

    Leave a comment:


  • ED12123
    replied
    Nice progress. I can't believe that carpet came out so nice.

    Chris

    Leave a comment:


  • 87Blue325iC
    replied
    Nice - I like the black carpets!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    So last night the goal was to start tackling some of the necessary maintenance. Decided to pull the hood as to make my work a bit easier...this is a fairly light hood or maybe my workouts are paying off. :D

    First thing was to push the car out and powerwash the engine bay and get most of the grease/oil off parts that I will be working on....

    Pics taken after she's back in her spot after the lil' hose down..





    Next Pulled the following:



    I don't know what that metal hose is called but I plan on cleaning it up and painting it prior to replacing it. This is a fairly easy car to get at all the belts...my only question is do I need to remove the fan to ease replacement of the belts?



    Oh...anyone have/know anyone with a good used auto radiator? I'm asking for used because I plan on swapping to a manual tranny, just not now...and figure why spend a couple of hundred on a new auto radiator when it will just be coming out?

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    Originally posted by oekundar
    Really?....she'll be running way before that!...might even bring her up to your neck of the woods.... :D
    nice to see the progress!

    when spring finally gets here, i think an e30 meet is definitely in order!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    keep at it. Rumor has it spring is only 3 months away.
    Really?....she'll be running way before that!...might even bring her up to your neck of the woods.... :D

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    keep at it. Rumor has it spring is only 3 months away.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    looking good. If you decide not to use the mats let me know.
    Certainly will...was thinking they would be a nice contrast....got the hood of the car as well so I can continue with the work in the engine bay..

    I'm still having a bit of a pickle getting to a powder coater for the thermostat housing and other misc parts....

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    looking good. If you decide not to use the mats let me know.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Update:

    Carpet is now Black...pictures rule:





    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words guys...

    Eric...the M42 motor looks great! Where is this powder coater located and what are we talking price wise?

    Shoot me an email with some detail man!...LOL

    Levent as always good to see you and glad to made it down to the house finally! Please send my regards to the ladies in your life!

    Ola

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Ole,
    If you ever decide to powder coat your parts, I've got a good source up near me that is reasonable. They did my M42 motor parts not too long ago.

    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14633

    Your vert is looking good. Hopefully this cold spell will put off the warm weather until your car is done!

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    Glad the grill set and the floor mats found a good home. Car is coming along. Great to see the family as well.

    Leave a comment:

Working...