Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i saw there was a difference in the relays, which ones are correct, or do they both function the same

Comment

Also have noticed this about the relays. Not going to worry about it for a while but in a week or so i'll do the research. The reason relays get tricky, is in the ETK it just comes up as "Relay". Not describing it very well with part numbers. I'll no doubt have the answers and either clean the existing ones up or get new ones. I know for a fact mine are OEM. You can see the BMW Roundels on the case of them. Some relays (like the fuel injection relay) aren't supposed to have a roundel on them because they are made by Bosch.

Comment

The blue and yellow ones are the newer relays, most e32/e34/e36 cars have those. The silver ones are the old/original ones. I replaced all but 1 or 2 (5 pin) with the newer relays to not have any issues with the old ones.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          The blue and yellow ones are the newer relays, most e32/e34/e36 cars have those. The silver ones are the old/original ones. I replaced all but 1 or 2 (5 pin) with the newer relays to not have any issues with the old ones.
          Yea In my opinion "authenticity" doesn't matter if It's going to look like shit and can't be replaced by a nicer silver one. I know what I'll end up going with, thanks for the info jean.
          A 4-prong relay is a 4-prong relay right? Only difference in relays is the number of prongs. Plus a good hint is all orange relays in my fusebox have the same part numbers on them.

Comment

I was asking cuz I have the orange ones in my car and the blueish ones in my glovebox

Comment

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
              Yea In my opinion "authenticity" doesn't matter if It's going to look like shit and can't be replaced by a nicer silver one. I know what I'll end up going with, thanks for the info jean.
              A 4-prong relay is a 4-prong relay right? Only difference in relays is the number of prongs. Plus a good hint is all orange relays in my fusebox have the same part numbers on them.
              Not always. Sometimes the pin orientation is different for coil and load sides, mix them up and it won't work and may cause damage to other systems.

Also, the original relays had resistors and some had diodes on the coil side for for noise suppresion(resistors) and to block back feeding of power from other circuits.(diode)
              Originally posted by codyep3
              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
              2010 F650gs twin
              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

you still alive? its not my r3v routine if i dont read an update from you :-(

Comment

Originally posted by raafhimself View Post
                  you still alive? its not my r3v routine if i dont read an update from you :-(
                  For at least a week I have to stop to work on college apps, SAT/ACT studying. Then it will pickup full speed. Don't worry though. There are a few updates that will all come at once in a week or so

Comment

I've managed to get a little bit of progress done in my currently busy schedule.
                    Random pic of taking the timing cover off

Got the NLA oil cap that originally came on M30's. You can see that the same part number has been replaced with the oil cap we all know (on the left). The one on the right (the original) will be cold tanked soon.

Head came off, coolant was everywhere but after a lot of towels and that rock gravel that you kick onto the driveway to remove stains, all was good.

Pistons could use and will get some cleaning.
                    Piston 1

Pistons 2 and 3 (3 on the left)

Project slowly getting more organized

All new engine bay stickers will go on as a finishing touch along with the under hood foam I have still wrapped up waiting to be used.

Just yesterday various brackets, timing cover, thermostat housings and sensors were bead blasted. This pic has been taken right after they had come back from the bead-blaster (Thanks to Part Stig for the blasting), they still need to be washed with soap and water, little bits of silicon glue from the previous owner need to be scraped off, and then finally they will be painted.

The cold tank pile hasn't been to the cold tanker yet since the oil pan hasn't come. Anyways there is lots of work to be done but on Oct. 11 (day after the SAT) i'll get back to work at full force!

Oh, and I finally broke down and bought a photobucket pro account :D so no more bandwidth exceeded problems (except for the photos on the other two accounts, but those photos won't be viewed as much since I'll be updating using the new account so once the second and third accounts are back online, they shouldn't go down anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B
                      stickers from the bay?

i bought same set on the way...
                      Well kind of. I know the guy selling them, I bought them directly from him. They are very good reproductions. Most of those stickers are NLA

Comment

Andrew did you ever figure out what you're doing with the firewall? I was curious as to how you were going to deal with that.
                        Originally posted by LJ851
                        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                          Andrew did you ever figure out what you're doing with the firewall? I was curious as to how you were going to deal with that.
                          I'll cross that bridge when I reach it

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B
                            bfh?

Comment

bfh = big fuckin hammer.
                              Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

hate to break it to you but BFH is how its done

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Working...
                                X