Time for a do-over - 12/88 Diamantschwarz M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a do-over - 12/88 Diamantschwarz M3

they say "good things come to those who wait". i really never planned to add another M3 to my household, but life worked out and i'm fortunate enough to be the car's new steward.

the former owner, Dball4, contacted me a few weeks back and told me he was considering letting the car go. with the addition of a second child, rapidly approaching, he knew he wouldn't be able to give the car the attention it deserves and wanted to find it a good home. i'm glad he considered me to be that.

at the beginning of the year, i had 12 cars and needed to seriously thin the herd. as of last week, i was down to my red s50 car, green e28m5 and my daily driver Range Rover, and for the first time in many years, was down to three cars and really enjoyed not having all the project cars around that had no end in sight. i couldn't quit thinking of David's M3 in the back of my head, so i had him bring it to my shop, gave it a quick once over and handed him a pile of cash.

couple pics of how it looked when i first bought it:

12/1988, 2198581 - fun fact, this was built 45 cars before my alpine M3 (RIP)
    diamantschwarz over natur originally, now partial black and cardinal red
    175k on chassis, original 2.3 engine
    Recaro SRD reupholstered in red, with the back seat to match
    265/5 close-ratio (dogleg) transmission with 3.23 M-coupe differential
    tons and tons of recent maintenance under David's ownership, courtesy of Ryan, at Dynasport in Portland (one of two people i would allow to work on my cars if i weren't capable)
    H&R Race/Bilstein with Vorshlag camber plates
    e38 style 5s and extended wheel studs
    370mm mtechnic II wheel

body and paint are what i would call driver quality, or as my mentor used to say, "50/50 - 50 miles an hour, 50 feet away, looks pretty damn good." doesn't really bother me that bad, as i wanted an M3 i could drive all year long and not feel guilty about it. this is the perfect car for that.

first thing i did, once i got it home, was dig out some parts i've had stored in my closet for many years, in the event i was able to score another M3.

NOS smoked Hellas
    nice pink Startec tails
    mtechnic ebrake handle and boot
    illuminated CR shift knob and boot
    Sport Evolution dead pedal
    super nice OE black floor mats

being that today was Christmas, i decided to treat myself and install all the aforementioned parts. i still have a few more things to put on. i ordered some correct sized tires for my BBS RS212 (best wheel for an e30m3, imo), which should be here early next week. i'm going to rob the Italvolanti Super Formel out of my red s50 car, most likely tomorrow. also have a nice set of cardinal red door panels, parcel shelf and speakers to install, as well. i have a nice cardinal M3 rear seat, but need a nice pair of M3 front seats (if anyone knows of any) to complete the set.

anyway, here's a couple pics as it sits. i'm definitely really happy with how it looks, with just a few minor changes.

Last edited by e30austin; 01-13-2021, 03:05 PM.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Congrats! I like the changes you have made so far. A Cardinal interior will look great with DS....are you going for the early style (black door pulls/pockets/carpets/etc) or the later look (all red)?

Comment

Very cool! I imagine there are no regrets parting with the other projects now (if there ever were any).

Comment

Wow, looks amazing with the Startec lights. I look forward to seeing the cardinal red sport seats. That's going to be a great combo!
        Keep us updated please!
        Belgian E30 Driver
        /
        //
        1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
        /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
        /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
          Congrats! I like the changes you have made so far. A Cardinal interior will look great with DS....are you going for the early style (black door pulls/pockets/carpets/etc) or the later look (all red)?
          thanks, i'm really looking forward to it already. i have the late style door panels (all red). i've done the two tone in the past, and really do like the contrast it offers, but trying to keep more OE style with this one. finding cardinal M3 seats have proven to be difficult so far.

thanks for the comments. i was somewhat bummed when i let a couple of them go initially (had an '88 325i sedan, a stupid nice '88 325i coupe, insanely nice '91 318is, '91 318is with M50, my dumb mtechnic cabrio, '93 325is M3 clone, '00 M5, a couple others i can't think of at the moment), but honestly, quality over quantity... i would much prefer having three really sorted driver quality cars, and so would my insurance bill. :)

Comment

Great looking M3 Austin, congrats!
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Congrats on the pickup! Stoked to see you in another M3.
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Congrats Austin! DS is such a cool color.
                sigpic
                84 323i

Comment

thanks, guys. really enjoying the car. decided to move the Recaro confetti seats and Italvolanti wheel out of my red car this morning. red seats are sold to a friend. they just didn't really fit my plans for the car. hoping to find OE cardinal stuff sooner than later.

Comment

Italvolanti's just look so proper inside an E30... Mines just hanging out in the garage and I want to put it in the MR2, but it doesnt feel like thats where it belongs haha
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Cardinal interior would be super nice in that
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

got my 17" BBS RS212 installed a couple days ago. also installed some H&R Gruppe G Race springs. niiiiice and stiff now. really, really liking this car a lot. now to find a Supersprint midsection.

Comment

installed the ignition wire loom cover tonight. now i'm not nearly as ashamed to post pictures of the engine bay. needs a serious detail. placed a big order with the dealer for a major service (radiator, tank, heater core, every single cooling hose, thermostat, water pump, fuel hoses, misc vacuum hoses, every single hose clamp, etc, etc, etc)

Comment

installed a new washer fluid reservoir last night and the missing battery terminal junction cover. couldn't deal with the filthy engine bay anymore, so i ran it down to the self-service car wash and spent an hour with some engine degreaser and the power washer. i'm nowhere near done, but i'm terrible at documenting progress. this is a car where i actually want to keep record of everything i've done since purchase. it's a strange feeling.

pic taken on 23 December, 2020 (the night of my purchase)

pic taken 4 January, 2021 - wow...

Comment

Huge Congrats on this, man!! Obviously super jelly!! hahaha
                              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                              X