No announcement yet.

My Hoopte30 Project Attempt #6 - the painless way to earn cash back every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rad stuff! Already looking forward to next years vintage.

Hopefully more E30, More back roads.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Had an awesome time at The Vintage and already itching to go back to explore more of Appalachia, although some light tints or A/C is on the list for next year.
      1989 JDM-Tech 2
      2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I feel all the pics of the Italvolanti is to torture me some more...
        I'm just gonna keep at it until it makes you impulse buy another e30

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
        love this for you, brother. glad to see it :)
        ​you love to see it!

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        Rad stuff! Already looking forward to next years vintage.

Hopefully more E30, More back roads.
        ​Man, me too. Shocked a simple weekend can be so enjoyable. Either says something about the weekend or my day to day lol. I'm hoping to go down a couple days early next year. Didn't work out that way this year due to obvious circumstances, but I'm hoping next year I won't be reassembling most of a car the week before.

Originally posted by Simple_Smith View Post
        Had an awesome time at The Vintage and already itching to go back to explore more of Appalachia, although some light tints or A/C is on the list for next year.
        Man, me too. I bought a book on Appalachia while we were down there and the stoke is high

---------

I've been chasing a roundie Tii for a couple years and the guy recently went public with the car and posted it all over the internet, which sucked, and I assumed it would result in me not getting the car. Turns out all of you internet folk were bad enough that he ended up accepting my offer, and I now own an early vin Tii and a roundie parts car! Pretty pumped.

It's not secret in the hooptie thread that I have bought lot of cars over the years, which tends to dull the experience a bit..... but when I first set eyes on this Tii I felt that special car tingle that I haven't felt in a long time.

I'll keep you all posted on the barn extraction and clean up.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
        Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-04-2023, 06:08 AM.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

so glad you got to enjoy hoopty ! and had a blast on vintage ..

you bought bothe the 2002 ? parts car and the ti? haha

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
            so glad you got to enjoy hoopty ! and had a blast on vintage ..

you bought bothe the 2002 ? parts car and the ti? haha
            me too- hoopty has been a treat to have hanging around!

Yes, the tii came with the roundie parts car. It needs a few small cosmetic things, all of which the parts car has thankfully

Comment

Another road trip down, and hoopty ate up the miles.

I am taking each trip as an opportunity to refine things a bit further.

We spent a week in Appalachia, and against everyones better judgment, I made sure the E30 was the vessel of choice.

A few days beforehand I spent some time chasing a leak on my freshie Sanden R134 AC system, in hopes to finally have cool air running through the vents. Turns out, the only part I didn't replace was leaking.... the evaporator! Thankfully I have a stack on the shelf and got a good used one swapped in in no time. She took about 3lbs of refrigerant and blows so cold I had to turn it down on the test drive to see if the lady approved of the air quality before driving 8hrs east.

I sadly had to do this trip on my 200tw Falkens, as I didn't have time to get tires for my 15" Koseis. With the rear suspension loaded with luggage I was getting some serious rubbing, which was far from ideal, but all was well.

I also spliced in a nice fan switch pigtail in hopes to regain high speed fan function in addition to low speed snowflake aux fan function. Would love it if snowflake = high speed aux fan, so am going to look into making that happen. Installed a new genuine cig lighter socket for all the charges, and she was good to go.

I swapped a premium sound amp in hopes to remedy a terrible stereo interference, but that didn't solve the problem, so I am going to remove the common ground setup, as I assume the system lost a ground somewhere.

I'm still shocked at how good this car runs.

Next round of hooptie improvements needed for it to be the ultimate road tripper:
              -rear rubbing quite a bit loaded down. partially offset/tire size on my e38 wheels, but potentially need to swap in stiffer rear coilover springs
              -front small bump compliance is mediocre at best. currently springs are 550f/650r. Considering going to a stock spring setup in hopes to smooth out bump compliance and raise the rear more than the GC adjusters are capable of. Sucks, because the car looks great at the current height, but road tripping at this height is far from ideal. Suggestions welcome. Already swapped to the GC street plates up front, which helped a decent bit, but it's not as good as I'd like it to be.
              -15" wheels and tires with more sidewall to help the above
              -radio fix/aftermarket amp install? decided against lukebox for trunk space, but still feel an aftermarket amp would help the fresh premium sound speakers I installed quite a bit over the stock amp.
              -long term, the s3.46 is perfect for the highway but the car doesn't feel as quick as it should with the longer gears. I think a 3.64 would be perfect
              -swap wiper motor, it finally gave out on this trip

by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Oh baby the 15s were the right move!!! So glad I put tires on these K1s and got them on the car before I messed with spring rates. All of the wheel shake is gone, and the bump compliance is night and day.

I snagged some 205/55r15 Hankook Ventus Prime2's from Priority Tire on the cheap. They have a limited stock of this tire in the stock E30 15" tire size.

Coupon code LEGITPT723 saves 5% and is good until the end of the month. After tax it was only $86/tire.

Comment

love those wheels. looks great!
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

love those wheels. looks great!
                    thanks, homie! Koseis are the juice

----------

Hoopty had an eventful weekend up at the classicdaily HQ. I went up to offer support for my buddy Andrew's insanely nice jap 320i MT2 car that he was bringing up to Jakes to convert to his Turkey&Cheese standalone and then convert to ITBs. Andrew's car is a beautiful example of a nice, low mileage car that still gets driven. His car has a 3L M20 stroker with S52 crank/rods with flat top 84mm 9.3:1 pistons, a 272 cam and a throttle body bored to accept an m30 throttle plate.

I brought hoopty up to do a pull on the dyno to see what it's making compared to Andrews 3L car, and that's when the fun started......

First pull on the dyno getting things set up, hoopty exploded the clutch. It sounded like it was 50/50 clutch failure or melted piston, and I didn't want to interrupt their itinerary, so I backed it off the dyno and did some diagnosis, upon which I found some rough results.

I borescoped the cylinders and did a compression check despite the car running fine off the dyno while making awful noises.

The bore scope revealed some detonation that is far from ideal, and the compression test revealed that I caught the detonation too late. The car still runs fine, but has low compression in cyl 3 (where the detonation marks on the piston are the worst)

I have a stock MarkD 93 octane chip in hoopty that I assume just has an aggressive timing map. That combined with the 2mm shaved off the block that slightly changes cam timing, combined with the increased compression, made for a sad day for the 2.7. The AFR was lean but not crazy lean, so it appears the detonation was caused by a timing map that was too aggressive for the motor without compensating for the unique combo.

I then pulled the bowl reinforcement on the trans and metal chunks/shavings dumped out upon removal.

After not knowing what to do, I just focused on helping as much as I could with Andrews car and ITB install.

The following morning, Jake and I decided to do a quick/dirty clutch job so I could get the car home. 3hrs later and I was on my way!

The pressure plate (new M20 Sachs unit) straps failed. First time I have seen one fail like this. The disc itself was perfect.

We got some good data from Andrews car that I'll post in the dyno thread. Jake's standalone runs on RusEFI firmware and has been working out very well.

Hoopty's only dyno pull. Disappointing numbers, but I think with some tweaks we could be closer to a desirable number.

Hoopty w AFR by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

And an overlay of Andrews 3L on stock ECU vs hoopty's 2.7

Andrew vs Boobie - Stock ECU by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

bummer about the 2.7 but about your clutch issue: the clutch disc is probably slightly warped. i had this happen once. 3 pressure plates in 4000 miles. i know you don't wanna do it again but throw the disc away.

Comment

bummer about the 2.7 but about your clutch issue: the clutch disc is probably slightly warped. i had this happen once. 3 pressure plates in 4000 miles. i know you don't wanna do it again but throw the disc away.
                        This is good intel- at Vintage some moron pulled out in front of me and I had to floor it in 1st while making a u turn on 215/45 200tw tires. I felt the car break loose, hesitate with engine still rippin', and then grab again. I depressed the clutch and it made a terrible sound. I pulled in and said "guys i just destroyed my clutch". The clutch has been fine since then, but I think when that happened i warped the clutch disc and broke or fractured a strap on the pressure plate.

I don't think the motor is long for this world, we just threw the disc back in because I was 5hrs away from home and that's all we had, but I planned on replacing the whole unit again when I build the next m20 that'll let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

This is good intel- at Vintage some moron pulled out in front of me and I had to floor it in 1st while making a u turn on 215/45 200tw tires. I felt the car break loose, hesitate with engine still rippin', and then grab again. I depressed the clutch and it made a terrible sound. I pulled in and said "guys i just destroyed my clutch". The clutch has been fine since then, but I think when that happened i warped the clutch disc and broke or fractured a strap on the pressure plate.

I don't think the motor is long for this world, we just threw the disc back in because I was 5hrs away from home and that's all we had, but I planned on replacing the whole unit again when I build the next m20 that'll let me down.
                          i've seen this in an instance where the clutch disc wasn't correctly aligned with the pilot bearing and someone let the transmission hang off the clutch disc when trying to install the transmission, which surely bent or warped it, causing the harmonics to be off. i get trying to get home, just saying it so you don't continue to have issues later on!
                          but as to your u turn story, that was probably the strap on the pressure plate snapping. ask me how i know lol

Comment

i've seen this in an instance where the clutch disc wasn't correctly aligned with the pilot bearing and someone let the transmission hang off the clutch disc when trying to install the transmission, which surely bent or warped it, causing the harmonics to be off. i get trying to get home, just saying it so you don't continue to have issues later on!
                            but as to your u turn story, that was probably the strap on the pressure plate snapping. ask me how i know lol
                            When I did the manual swap on this car initially I had a hell of a time getting the trans on, so I likely beefed the clutch disc during that endeavor, whoops lol

---------------

Barn find Riviera '72 Tii is home! After finally seeing this thing on concrete and getting a good look under it, I am beyond stoked. The chassis is FAR better than I was expecting, which is typically not the case with anything I buy, lol. I was going to sell the car to a buddy, and am so glad that I didn't. Likely won't own it long term, but am very excited to tinker, get it running, detail, etc.

In buying barnfind vibe cars, I am always worried the motors are locked up. Dr borescope revealed some promising news!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr​
                            Last edited by AWDBOB; 08-20-2023, 03:57 AM.

Comment

That 02 might not actually be a hooptie
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                That 02 might not actually be a hooptie
                                02 is far better than i deserve. awdbob gettin not so hoopty

Also, it pays to have friends that are 02 hoarders. Between my buddy Ben and the pink parts car, i've got everything to make the Tii "complete"!

Comment

Working...
                                X