318is Turbo Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is Turbo Project

I have owned a 1991 BMW 318is for about 3 years, and have used this forum and M42club extensively for learning about the car and decided I should return the favor and post the what I have done with it and where its going.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00s0s_kGKyJVPg8oY_1200x900.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	9981234
    The beginning, stock except for H&R Springs with Bilstein struts. Someone had also swapped out the headlights and swapped the clutch driven fan for a volvo electric fan wired into the AUX fan circuit.

Name:	20180107_074943.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	9981235
    Started autocrossing on the dry rotting old tires and very quickly decided it needed an upgrade. Couldn't find tires I wanted that fit the basket weaves so I purchased some new wheels and tires.

Then realized a lot of original rubber bushings were basically gone so replaced those with some UHMW bushing which made it much nicer when autocrossing but definitely upped the cabin noise level, but since it is mostly a project/racecar that didn't really bother me. In pursuit of a better autocrossing experience I also swapped the steering rack for one from a Z3 to get rid of the need to spin the steering wheel like a mad man to corner at low speed, in the same vein swapped the 4.10 open rear diff for a 4.25 LSD out of a Z3. Both were fairly easy swaps with help from this forum!

Drove it like that for quite some time, until the little L bracket that holds the seat back upright broke so it started flopping around when cornering. That led to an upgrade in seating

So much less sliding around in the seat!
    Then Covid stopped all the racing for awhile and the desire for a bit more power than the M42 was giving me led me down the rabbit hole of engine swaps. I wanted to keep the great balance the car had so didn't want to add a bunch of weight to the front of the car so I ended up deciding to ad a turbo to the M42. It seemed like a good candidate with the forged internals. Just needed a stronger headgasket/studs and some better engine management. I spent a long time browsing through the project pages of the others that had turboed an M42. Ended up getting a good deal on a MGT2259S turbo out of a 2015 WRX.

Little twin scroll turbo that should pair well with the little 1.8l motor. Quick spooling and not too big.

Didn't take any pictures of the exhaust manifold but a guy down in south Florida fabricated an awesome manifold to take full advantage of the twin scroll turbo design.

Pulled out the Motronic and replaced it with an Haltech Elite 550. Wiring is always a pain in the butt but eventually got it all straightened out. bmwman91's The Definitive M42 Crank and Cam Angle Info Thread post was key to getting the timing figured out.

Added a few gauges in the cubby under the center console. Still need to find a AFR gauge to add in.

First idle with the turbo and standalone ECU, Haltech was very helpful in the setup and the base map they had worked great. Didn't take long to get it started and idling.

And thats about where it currently stands. Did a little road tuning although with only about 18 inches of a downpipe I welded on to get my wideband O2 sensor in for the Haltech ECU to use it is obnoxiously loud. Currently set at a max of 5 PSI boost but it already is insane how alive the car feels without a real tune on it. Still gotta get an exhaust fabbed up and get a dyno tune but very excited to see where it ends up.

Have you done anything for clutch and flywheel? I've heard that our heavy flywheel really holds back acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears, exactly where its needed in autocross.

I've also got a 318is that I started autocrossing with, and yes I definitely need more power now too! Congrats on the awesome car and project. Subscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
      Have you done anything for clutch and flywheel? I've heard that our heavy flywheel really holds back acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears, exactly where its needed in autocross.

I've also got a 318is that I started autocrossing with, and yes I definitely need more power now too! Congrats on the awesome car and project. Subscribed.
      Not yet, but the clutch was already showing some signs of wear so it is on the list of things to do. Thinking of just doing the M20 flywheel swap to lighten it a bit and give a bit more surface area for the clutch.

Comment

Finally got the exhaust fabricated and put on, 3 inch all the way back with a small resonator and a Magnaflow straight through muffler in the back. Don't have a great photo of the whole exhaust but I am really happy with how it sounds. Not super loud but you can hear the turbo spooling through it. Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW (2 of 3).jpg
Views:	584
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	10026217 Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW (1 of 3).jpg
Views:	583
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	10026219
        Still need to find some tips I like to add to it and clean up the bumper a bit.

And now for the fun part, got all the gremlins worked out and sent it off to a local tuner. Stayed a bit conservative on ignition timing and fuel since its still a high compression motor and doesn't have knock detection. Max power run ended up being at 14 psi, see below graph for the numbers. I am super happy with where its at.

Name:	BMW (3 of 3).jpg
Views:	584
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	10026218 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush BMW.png
Views:	570
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	10026220

Bumped it down to 12ish PSI for now with about 230 HP and 215 FtLbs of Torque at the wheels, which with a estimated curb weight of about 2650 lbs makes for a very spirited machine. Huge change from what ever was left of the 137 HP from the factory. Now to get back to Autocrossing and Track days!
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nicely done. Must be a hoot to drive with LSD and a turbo.

Comment

Man, those are some good numbers for an m42! Really wish I had turbo'd my old 318is instead of swapping it.

What kind of turbo manifold did you use? The flange on the turbo looks a lot different than the standard T2 or T3 flanges I'm used to seeing.
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Very nicely done. Must be a hoot to drive with LSD and a turbo.
              Oh its an absolute blast, makes me smile everytime I floor it and hear turbo noises. Might need to find a taller ratio diff, the 4.25 is now a bit too short. First gear is basically useless..

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
              Man, those are some good numbers for an m42! Really wish I had turbo'd my old 318is instead of swapping it.

What kind of turbo manifold did you use? The flange on the turbo looks a lot different than the standard T2 or T3 flanges I'm used to seeing.
              I went back and forth between turboing it and swapping it to an M50 or M52 but am super happy with my decision so far. Barely added any weight so it still feels nicely balanced but boatloads more power. Hopefully it is reliable since I did turbo an engine with 150,000 miles on it and only replaced the headgasket and head bolts.

It is a twin scroll Garrett MGT2259S off a 2015ish Subaru WRX so it has a unique twin scroll flange, but it makes it spool super quick. Makes full boost right around 3000 RPM

Comment

Originally posted by BushPilot9 View Post

I went back and forth between turboing it and swapping it to an M50 or M52 but am super happy with my decision so far. Barely added any weight so it still feels nicely balanced but boatloads more power. Hopefully it is reliable since I did turbo an engine with 150,000 miles on it and only replaced the headgasket and head bolts.

It is a twin scroll Garrett MGT2259S off a 2015ish Subaru WRX so it has a unique twin scroll flange, but it makes it spool super quick. Makes full boost right around 3000 RPM
                Yeah, my car had 283k miles on it when I pulled the m42. The timing components were worn and new ones were starting to get expensive and some parts were NLA.

Full boost at 3K? That sounds really fun.

'90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Very nice build! 230/215whp/tq is perfect for the little M42. You're right around the power I was before I started breaking transmissions though. But autocross and track days is less drive train abuse than drifting with all the shock loads put on it. I'm excited to see how this car performs on track!
                  -Dee
                  5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                  IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post

Yeah, my car had 283k miles on it when I pulled the m42. The timing components were worn and new ones were starting to get expensive and some parts were NLA.

Full boost at 3K? That sounds really fun.
                    Yeah, everything looked pretty solid when I pulled the head off to replace the headgasket so fingers crossed I don't have to start looking for new parts like that any time soon.

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                    Very nice build! 230/215whp/tq is perfect for the little M42. You're right around the power I was before I started breaking transmissions though. But autocross and track days is less drive train abuse than drifting with all the shock loads put on it. I'm excited to see how this car performs on track!
                    Thanks! I scrolled through your build thread and yeah I think my track driving will be a little easier on the transmission than drifting. The E85 temptation is real already though even though like you said its about the perfect power range for what I need.

Car is driving great, however due to being in Florida, getting the AC back in working order is a necessity. Took the old low pressure line that had to come out to mount the turbo to a custom hydraulic line shop and for $70 bucks they made me a super solid custom flex line. just waiting on some new orings and I should be driving around in comfort again instead of sweating profusely anytime I get in the thing.

Comment

varg is going to love this build. He’s the biggest M42 fanboi
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        varg is going to love this build. He’s the biggest M42 fanboi
                        It's true. He tells me all the time how much he wishes he didn't put the M20 in his car haha
                        -Dee
                        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Got the AC system all buttoned up and took it to get evacuated/filled. It worked great for a couple days, but now doesn't blow any cool air even though it still shows the proper pressure on the low side. Not sure what the problem is, anyone got any common problems with these AC systems?

Also put some tips on the exhaust, had to trim the bumper a hair which I still need to clean up. Pretty happy with the look and the sound of the exhaust overall.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	bmw (1 of 1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	10028803

On a more fun note however, I got it out to an autocross session this weekend. It is an absolute ball to drive! Definitely have some improving to do in the driver skill category to take full advantage of the new power though. Also need to find a better ratio Rear Diff, I was constantly stuck between the top end of 2nd and having to shift to 3rd which cost me a lot of time. The 4.25 LSD I put in to help with the anemic power I had with the stock m42 is no longer a good match. I am thinking either a 3.91 or 3.73 but I am open to inputs from people who have increased the power in E30s.

The videos are a bit shaky but two of my runs at autocross.

Last edited by BushPilot9; 08-23-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BushPilot9 View Post
                            The videos are a bit shaky but two of my runs at autocross.

https://youtu.be/uLtzu0WCbko
                            Videos are private man! Can't wait to see em when you fix the link.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post

Videos are private man! Can't wait to see em when you fix the link.
                              Sure were. Should be fixed now.

Comment

Working...
                              X